RC Racer

Need a charger for dual 2s 8000mah lipo

I've searched this site, and was shocked at how few posts there are on the subject of dual chargers...especially in the E-revo section.

I was about to make a VERY bad assumption, and purchase an Onyx 240 charger, assuming that since the 230 would charge an 8000mah lipo, that a 240 would do dual ones. Nope! It does not even charge lipos. So.....

...are any of you using a dual lipo charger that will charge 2 8000mah packs at once? if so, where did you get it?

Also, I've read that a single charger can charge two packs at once using a split harness, but I'm not sure that sounds ligit.

Any ideas?

RC Racer
    People will say Hyperion EOS0615iDUO 2 or 3($250 to $300) is amongst the best charger or FMA Direct Cell pro 10($170).Most likely theirs other,but these are the most recommended ones.
    Also you should invest in charger the has the specs for charging two batteries

RC Qualifier
    The main 2 are Hyperion EOS0615IDUO3: http://www.maxamps.com/EOS0615i-DUO3.htm and the Bantam BC8DX: http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=742
    these are both very good charger depending on who your talking to, I personally own 2-BC8DX Models and I love them, I went on there forums and the guys on there absolutely love them and that is what sold me on the Bantam, but some guys swear by the Hyperion Model. There might be some others that are cheaper, but the way I look at it, go straight to the top, because sooner or later you will be there anyways. The BC8DX is very user friendly and I know the BC8DX will charge/balance my 7.4v-6500mah Lipo's in under a hour if I have them all the way down to about 3.3 volts per cell and that's at a 1C charging rate and it will charge up to 9.0 amps and will do any type battery in the RC world. The Hyperion I have never used, but will charge up to 15amps which is news to me. Try to Google Hyperion and see if they have some forums and then google Bantam BC8DX, I know they have some forums and you can read reviews and what other people think about the Chargers. If you are looking for a cheaper one, I am sure they are around, but will do nothing compared to the 2 I mentioned. Good Luck.
    TEKIN RX8, BANTAM BC8DX, MAXAMPS!!!

RC Racer
    Buy 2 of these and tape them together
    http://www.nitroplanes.com/thac6smbalic.html

RC Champion
    14.8v * 8amps = 120watt charger with a series harness (1c charge rate)

With a Hyperion duo you can charge 4 of them at the same time and have room for 2c charging down the road. I wouldn't recommend anything less than a 250watt single charger though at least then you can do 14.8v at 16amps or as much as the charger will allow and not be limited by wattage. Also think of future uses? 6s lipo? 22.2v can charge at only 5amps with a 120watt (11amps w/ 250watt).
    Last edited by 8ight-e; 07-11-2009 at 05:46 PM.
    I love you MAN! Need a hug?

RC Champion

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=483360

See my post # 31

I parallel charge and balance my dual lipo packs all the time.
    This is the easiest way.

RC Racer
    I have two FMA cellpro 10s's and they work great, and they have a deal right now, they are only 149 and you can charge almost two of every lipo. 10/10
    E-Revo-MMM 2200-4s-5s-6s
    Go ***** Go!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by captinredshoe
    Buy 2 of these and tape them together
    http://www.nitroplanes.com/thac6smbalic.html
    Good idea!

Seriously.

I use this to charge the same batteries and it works great. For $100 for 2 you can't beat it!!

RC Champion
    Hyperion Duo II is a greaet charger. The FMA Cellpro 10S is another good one, however, it is NOT a true dual lipo charger. At it's core it's really a sinlge battery charger with a built-in harness that splits it to two channels. Works perfectly fine when charging two of the same type batteries with equal amount of "fuel" left in them. If they have a significantly unequal charge, the charging process takes VERY long becuase the balancer has to discharge the higher pack to an equal level before peaking them. In that case, you're much better off charing them seperatly.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by raynist
    Good idea!

Seriously.

I use this to charge the same batteries and it works great. For $100 for 2 you can't beat it!!
    I love mine too. But it seems like people need the latest and greatest to be happy. You could buy 4 for the price of some of these chargers people are suggesting.

RC Champion
    Yes you could, it's also 4 times (at least) less convenient

RC Racer
    You just need 4 wall plugs

RC Champion
    And set 4 chargers, and maybe even 4 power supplies

RC Racer
    It comes with an ac adapter. Now power supplies for me
    You can program them with the computer too (comes with usb plug) and it comes with a temp probe. It is a real bargain.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You do not need a dual charger or multiple chargers to charge multiple batteries...you can charge multiple batteries with a regular single-output charger. All you do is use wiring adapters to wire your batteries together in either series or parallel and charge them as a single battery, we do it all the time.

If you get a charger than can charge up to 8S, you can charge up to 8S, no matter how many batteries there are, as long as they total no more than 8S.

If your charger can charge 8S, you can charge;

One 8S pack
    Two 4S packs
    Four 2S packs
    Eight 1S packs
    Two 3S packs
    Two 3S packs and one 2S pack
    One 5S pack and one 3S pack
    Etc., etc., etc.
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoš
    You do not need a dual charger or multiple chargers to charge multiple batteries...you can charge multiple batteries with a regular single-output charger. All you do is use wiring adapters to wire your batteries together in either series or parallel and charge them as a single battery, we do it all the time.

If you get a charger than can charge up to 8S, you can charge up to 8S, no matter how many batteries there are, as long as they total no more than 8S.

If your charger can charge 8S, you can charge;

One 8S pack
    Two 4S packs
    Four 2S packs
    Eight 1S packs
    Two 3S packs
    Two 3S packs and one 2S pack
    One 5S pack and one 3S pack
    Etc., etc., etc.
    If you have enough amps and watts (206B or 1010B) you can charge Four 4s packs if you charge in 2s2p. Some even charge Six 4s packs in a 2s3p configuration. The harnesses are easy to make. This goes for the other quoted examples. You really don't need a dual charger.

If you aren't willing to learn how to make a harness, you're really limiting yourself. Here's your choices:
    1 - don't learn to make a harness, spend $300 on a dual charger, only be able to charge 2 batteries at a time
    2 - learn to make a harness, spend $140 on a charger, charge 4-8 batteries at a time

RC Racer
    I'm quite sure I could make a harness. Plenty of solder, 10, and 12 gauge wire lying around here. I just need to make sure i make it right. So, lets say I did this....I'd need to set my charger for a 4s battery, when charging two 2s packs at once, or would I still leave it at 2s setting?

RC Qualifier
    If you make a series harness, you would set your charger to 4s. This is what most people do and is what is shown at BrianG's website.

If you make a parallel harness, you would set your charger to 2s.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yea, Chet, I sometimes charge my four 4S 2650mAh packs at the same time, in a series/parallel (8S2P) setup, with my MRC SuperBrain 989 charger.
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Champion
    Sharpchuter 245
    Dyna Wide Glide

RC poster
    I'm thinking about parallel charging my 2s 35C 5000mah. I have a Checkpoint TC-1030 charger, and the seperate Lipo Balancer they sell. Could I just make a parallel harness from the charger, and use 2 seperate lipo balancers? This way I wont need to make a balance port parallel cable, just one to split the balancers? Do you think having two seperate balancers on one charger will cause it to false charge or anything wierd like that?

On your other thread, you mentioned you charge at a conservative 8A, how long does it take, and roughly how much mah are you putting back in? I'm limited by 10A by the charger, but the balancers say charge through limit is 6A so I'm trying to see how much time parallel charging will save me. Or if I should just try serial, and make up some harnesses (and get a new balancer, the checkpoint one only goes up to 3s).

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hughes500Bob

http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=483360

See my post # 31

I parallel charge and balance my dual lipo packs all the time.
    This is the easiest way.

RC Champion
    I am charging through the main battery leads while the balancer is only balancing. My balancer also communicates with the charger. I'm charging at 2S voltage and 8 amps (could go to 10 amps). Last nights run left the batts at 7.515 volts. I put 8635 mAhs back into the 5000 mAh packs and it took 75 minutes at 8 amps.

RC Qualifier
    I have recently switched to charing from my 4S 2650mAh in parallel. I recently did a test (to see if my power supply could handle it) and charged 6 of these (4s6p) in parallel at 16amp (charger is a icharger 206b) which is right about 1C, and also parallel balancing. Charged in about an hour. I try to make sure voltages are within 30% of each while doing this but it works really well and is as easy as heck to do.