Thread: rusty wont go

RC Competitor

rusty wont go

As i accelerate, the motor and spur gear spins, then there is a lag for the power to reach the wheels. Some what high pitch noise, dont think it is the slipper clutch. Same problem when clutch if fully compressed or 1/4, 1/8 turn. Tranny rebuild?
    Its not fun unless you're trying to brake it...

If it is not the clutch slipping then it is most likely the pin that locks to top shaft to the top gear. The gear is a press fit onto the shaft so it will drive the car some but it will slip a lot if the pin is sheared off. The pin comes as part of the top shaft and sells for $2.95. Or you can drill the remains of the old pin out and replace it with something else like a shank of a drill bit.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Competitor
    cool, thanks for the details. Do I have relube or grease it up?

RC Qualifier
    Yes you should re-grease the tranny when you're done.
    Vehicle(s): None
    Owned:Rustler,Slash,E-Maxx

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by liam
    Yes you should re-grease the tranny when you're done.
    you can't just use any grease either I found that out the hard way because i greased it with automotive bearing grease and it caused my motor to over heat and eventually demagnetize so your going to want to use the thinnest grease possible that won't fling off the gears when they are spinning.

some people recommend white lithium grease
    I HATE CURBS

Quote Originally Posted by Dj1793
    you can't just use any grease either I found that out the hard way because i greased it with automotive bearing grease and it caused my motor to over heat and eventually demagnetize so your going to want to use the thinnest grease possible that won't fling off the gears when they are spinning.

Did you totally pack the tranny case? I use a very heavy automotive grease but just a light coating on the gears and it works really well for me.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    no i used just a thin coating on the gears but i also believe my driving style was partially to blame

i use full throttle 90% of my 4600 mah batteries runtime
    I HATE CURBS

RC Champion
    no i used just a thin coating on the gears but i also believe my driving style was partially to blame

i use full throttle 90% of my 4600 mah batteries runtime
    It's not your driving style that got it hot then, your gearing is too much for what you are doing to get the motor that hot. Driving at 90% most of the time didn't help, but you are geared up a tad much. I've had to back my gearing down a little due to the 90-100 degree temps here and I'm running an aluminum tranny.

RC Qualifier

I also use automotive grease and it's fairly heavy and I have no problem with it.
    Vehicle(s): None
    Owned:Rustler,Slash,E-Maxx

RC Champion
    i was geared 20/86 when the motor quit in my opinion i was under geared
    I HATE CURBS

RC Competitor
    + 10 to Dad. You hit it right on the money, that pin did break. Luckily I had old transmission and replaced the whole top shaft and gear. I broke the old tranny where the pin goes in, to hold the rear arm. Wierd huh, anyone ever brake that part of the tranny housing? Im kinda new at this so I wasnt too thrilled about taking the tranny apart and putting it in a new housing. I think I'm going to have to do that any way. I've desrtoyed the housing so bad, that I cant even put on my wheelie bar or even the tranny cover. I'll post a pick later tonight, I'm at work now. Anyway, thanks alot, happy rc-ing.