RC Competitor

General Battery & Charging Questions...

So I have the 1/16 Revo with 8 batteries so far and just have a few general questions. First off I have 2 stock 1200mah 7.2v nimh, 2 1600mah 7.2v nimh, 2 2200mah 7.4v 2S Lipo and 2 1400mah 11.1v 3S Lipo Packs. I also have a name brand variable rate, programmable charger with a top of the line intelligent lipo balancer. So my questions are (These are assuming I have all charger settings correct for battery type, number of cells and voltage):

1. Are the fast charge rates for batteries always set based on the rated capacity regardless of the battery type? Example charge a 1200mah pack at 1.2 amps while i would charge the 2200mah pack at 2.2 amps?

2. And the same question for the Slow/Peak charge rate for the NiMH types but to the higher decimal? Example charge the 1200mah pack at .120amps and the 1600mah at .160amps?

3. Isn't one of the benifits of Lipo batteries that they can take a faster charging rate? Is so how do i figure what the highest rate I can charge my Lipo packs at safely and the fastest?

4. Should I use the balancer Dring every charge? Or should I use before or after every charge? Or should I just use it occasionally? If not all the time then after how many charge/discharge cycles should it be used?

5. I paid $25 for a Lipo charging pouch...did I get taken for a fool or are these new batteries that dangerous that they need to be chageed in a Kevlar Bag?

Thanks

RC Racer
    5. I paid $25 for a Lipo charging pouch...did I get taken for a fool or are these new batteries that dangerous that they need to be chageed in a Kevlar Bag?
    It's just like an alarm system or a fire extinguisher for your house. It feels like a waste until something happens and you actually need it.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by sggeaux
    It's just like an alarm system or a fire extinguisher for your house. It feels like a waste until something happens and you actually need it.
    That makes me feel a bit better. No help on any of these other questions??

RC Qualifier
    If they ever burn, they burn at 2000 degrees!!! Always charge the Lipo's at 1C which is for example: your battery is 7.4v-2000mah, then charge at 2.0amps, 11.1v-1500mah, then charge at 1.5 amps, so all Lipo's are at 1C of the mah that's on the battery.This does not apply to Ni-Mh or Ni-Cd.
    TEKIN RX8, BANTAM BC8DX, MAXAMPS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbobsrevo
    If they ever burn, they burn at 2000 degrees!!! Always charge the Lipo's at 1C which is for example: your battery is 7.4v-2000mah, then charge at 2.0amps, 11.1v-1500mah, then charge at 1.5 amps, so all Lipo's are at 1C of the mah that's on the battery.This does not apply to Ni-Mh or Ni-Cd.
    Actually, the 1c charge rate applies to Nimh, too. So the Traxxas 1200mAh battery gets charged at 1.2A, and the 1600mAh gets charged at 1.6A. If the charger you have has a setting for it, it is best to use 3mv peak detection for the cut-off.

As for the Lipo batteries, allot of the newer cells allow charging at much higher rates - I have a set of Neuenergy packs that can handle a 5c charge rate. The important thing is to NEVER exceed what the manufacturer recommends. The down side of faster charging, even if the pack can handle it, is it can reduce the life of the battery.

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=Lil Revo]So I have the 1/16 Revo with 8 batteries so far and just have a few general questions. First off I have 2 stock 1200mah 7.2v nimh, 2 1600mah 7.2v nimh, 2 2200mah 7.4v 2S Lipo and 2 1400mah 11.1v 3S Lipo Packs. I also have a name brand variable rate, programmable charger with a top of the line intelligent lipo balancer. So my questions are (These are assuming I have all charger settings correct for battery type, number of cells and voltage):

1. Are the fast charge rates for batteries always set based on the rated capacity regardless of the battery type? Example charge a 1200mah pack at 1.2 amps while i would charge the 2200mah pack at 2.2 amps?

A.Typically called 1c for most lipos and 1/10 size batteries (sub c cells) you are correct this is usually the best charge rate. Our minis use 2/3a cells which which take a charge between .3 to 1.2 amps. Charge .3 for the longest life I charge at 1.2 because .3 takes too long for me. Some lipos can be charge at 2c . eg. 2200mah battery 1c=2.2amps 2c=4.4amps

2. And the same question for the Slow/Peak charge rate for the NiMH types but to the higher decimal? Example charge the 1200mah pack at .120amps and the 1600mah at .160amps?

A. Most default slow/or peak rates are 1/10 or 1/20 of charge rate so yes you are correct

3. Isn't one of the benifits of Lipo batteries that they can take a faster charging rate? Is so how do i figure what the highest rate I can charge my Lipo packs at safely and the fastest?

A. For the lipos most of use we charge at 1c so if we have a lipo at 1600mah or a nimh at 1600mah we charge both at 1.6 amps unless you charge at a lower rate for your 2/3a cell in your nimh. 2c 1600mah packs can be charged at 3.2 amps. Your charge rating is on your lipo pack

4. Should I use the balancer Dring every charge? Or should I use before or after every charge? Or should I just use it occasionally? If not all the time then after how many charge/discharge cycles should it be used?

A. Use every time inline during charging no extra time needed.

A. Like previous post better safe than sorry

RC Competitor
    [QUOTE=radicalray]
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Revo
    So I have the 1/16 Revo with 8 batteries so far and just have a few general questions. First off I have 2 stock 1200mah 7.2v nimh, 2 1600mah 7.2v nimh, 2 2200mah 7.4v 2S Lipo and 2 1400mah 11.1v 3S Lipo Packs. I also have a name brand variable rate, programmable charger with a top of the line intelligent lipo balancer. So my questions are (These are assuming I have all charger settings correct for battery type, number of cells and voltage):

A.Typically called 1c for most lipos and 1/10 size batteries (sub c cells) you are correct this is usually the best charge rate. Our minis use 2/3a cells which which take a charge between .3 to 1.2 amps. Charge .3 for the longest life I charge at 1.2 because .3 takes too long for me. Some lipos can be charge at 2c . eg. 2200mah battery 1c=2.2amps 2c=4.4amps

A. Most default slow/or peak rates are 1/10 or 1/20 of charge rate so yes you are correct

A. For the lipos most of use we charge at 1c so if we have a lipo at 1600mah or a nimh at 1600mah we charge both at 1.6 amps unless you charge at a lower rate for your 2/3a cell in your nimh. 2c 1600mah packs can be charged at 3.2 amps. Your charge rating is on your lipo pack

A. Use every time inline during charging no extra time needed.

A. Like previous post better safe than sorry
    Thanks for all those answers, clears a lot up for me.

One more question though: My charger manual suggests setting the capacity for NiMH to 10-30% higher than rated. Example: it recommends setting to 1550mah for the 1200mah pack and 2100mah for the 1600mah pack. Is this correct?

RC Qualifier
    One more question though: My charger manual suggests setting the capacity for NiMH to 10-30% higher than rated. Example: it recommends setting to 1550mah for the 1200mah pack and 2100mah for the 1600mah pack. Is this correct?

Yes thats fine. You have the Oynx 230 good charger

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by radicalray
    Yes I do have the 230, didn't want to violate any forum rules by naming brands. How'd you figure it out? are they the only ones that reccomend upping the capacity to 10-30% above listed?

RC Competitor
    Yeah i'm new to all this high tech battery and charger stuff. I'm an old school Frog, Hornet, Blackfoot and Clodbuster owner when the batteries where all 6-7 cell NiCD with the same capacity and the chargers were all timer dial. Have a son now and figure I'd try to get him into RC with one of these little Revos since I have so many fun memories of my RC vehicles when I was younger. The technology in this little guy is amazing and it's way more durable than any of those old school models except maybe the Frog, that thing was also almost indestructable. Even got ran over by a full size car and survived!!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by radicalray

Still want to know how he figured out which charger I have....?
    Thanks for that info on charging with a higher capacity setting.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Revo
    Still want to know how he figured out which charger I have....?
    Thanks for that info on charging with a higher capacity setting.
    I thinking about getting another charger because you just can't have 3 so I looked at the manuel probably going to pick one up soon

My 1/16 set up need more batteries

RC Qualifier
    I know it is a good idea to charge NiMH batteries slower rather than faster (.3 amps instead of 1.2), but is that the same for lipo. If the lipo pack is rated at 1C, should it always be charged at 1C, or is it a good idea to charge it slower if I have the time?

Also, how do you properly store lipo bats if you know you will not be using them for like a month or so?
    HPI Savage LOSI Mini/MicroT, MRC Traxxas Revo VXL

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Precision Man
    I know it is a good idea to charge NiMH batteries slower rather than faster (.3 amps instead of 1.2), but is that the same for lipo. If the lipo pack is rated at 1C, should it always be charged at 1C, or is it a good idea to charge it slower if I have the time?

Also, how do you properly store lipo bats if you know you will not be using them for like a month or so?
    As far as I know lipos at 1c are fine less may not have benefits but I could be wrong. Store at 50% charge if storing for a month or greater

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Precision Man

I was also told by the guys at my LHS to store the Lipo batteries in the Lipo Sack that I picked up at the same time.

RC Champion
    Store lipos at 3.85 volts per cell.
    Volts vs. Capacity (Resting voltage approx 12 hours after use)
    4.20v = 100%
    4.03v = 76%
    3.86v = 52%
    3.83v = 42%
    3.79v = 30%
    3.70v = 11%
    3.6?v = 0%

RC Qualifier
    So the general idea is to charge it up to half way and then let it rest for 12 hours and see what the voltage is then charge it a little bit more or discharge it a little bit until the voltage is correct.

Is that correct?
    HPI Savage LOSI Mini/MicroT, MRC Traxxas Revo VXL

RC Enthusiast
    How should i store my nimh 1600 mah batts if i am going away for about 2 weeks

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by VXLbasher
    In your suitcase right next to your revo.
    E-Revo/ERBE/MM powered TC4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by VXLbasher
    50% of the max charge
    keep your mouth closed and let your eyes listen