RC Enthusiast

Just took my new Slash (1/10) brushless out for test run, got a couple upgrade Qs

I loved my original slash so much, I had to buy another

So I picked up the new Slash, a 5700kv Castle sidewinder brushless setup, a 16T pinion and hit the track today.

WOW. First thing I noticed is this thing will spin the tires for about 5 feet on drive pavement!

Once I hit the dirt track, the triple jump that the Spec Slash's always have to take as a double, became a triple finally. Easily too. Traction is an issue, but I am still bone stock otherwise. I hit the big 1/8th track up and am able to jump the big tabletops like the 1/8th gas buggies if I can get enough traction to actually hit the jump straight lol.

So I blew a rear shock cap off on a roughly 6 foot high landing, I took the oportunity to change the fluid out to 50wt and hit it again. Blew the other rear cap off this time.
    My goal for this truck is a FAST bashing and jumping setup. Needs to handle well, and take big landings.

So, my questions..

My shocks are obviously an issue. I know there are other options out there. A lot of people hate the Integy shocks, so those are out.
    That leaves me with the Traxxas Big Bores as an option, but that is $60 I dont have right now.

If I upgrade the shock caps to the alum caps, swap out the shafts for the titanium nitride optional shafts, and play with the oil wt and damping disks, will this give me the same type of result?

Are there different spring options out there?

Next question

Will the RPM shock towers be good enough, or do I need to go to aluminum?

RC Competitor
    For a basher on a budget, if you can find a shock oil you like, run a zip tie and pull it as tight as possible around the shock caps, mine have never popped off, the zip tie gives it that extra support to hold it onto the threads. RPM parts don’t break, I would think those are going to be as strong as anyone needs.

RC Qualifier
    "If I upgrade the shock caps to the alum caps, swap out the shafts for the titanium nitride optional shafts, and play with the oil wt and damping disks, will this give me the same type of result?"== In my opinion, yes. The big bores are actually smaller in diameter.

As far as shock spring goo, I ordered these.
    Integy Progressive Spring Set Front
    Integy Progressive Spring Set Rear

The RPM shock towers will be enough

RC Enthusiast
    Replaced the rear shock caps today then beat the tar out of it. They stayed put

But the screws for the top keep trying to back out. Will the RPM shock towers solve this?

Edited for language abuse.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-15-2009 at 07:24 AM.

RC Qualifier
    The RPM parts have always held threads well for me in the past.
    -O|||||||O-

RC Champion
    rpm is the way to go
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Qualifier
    Rpm parts are awesome, but do beware they can still break and will.... as far as threads staying put i have actually had problems with them holding the screws in more since upgrading from stock. a little superglue on the screw right before you put it in will fix that. oh and the shock towers are nothing short of amazing. i have had aluminum ones bend and break and these have done neither over the past 9 month beating they have had.
    "If it aint broke don't fix it"

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Davenow
    Replaced the rear shock caps today then beat the tar out of it. They stayed put

But the screws for the top keep trying to back out. Will the RPM shock towers solve this?

Edited for language abuse.

Sorry about that. Evidently a word that is in the Bible is worthy of points. Not really complaining, I just think its goofy.

Let me rephrase it.

Beat the "place that the devil lives" out of it

In other news, the tranny in my Spec slash is making all sorts of bad noises. Gotta tear it apart and see whats wrong. I am probably going to take the good tranny out of the brushless truck and swap it in, then build an upgraded tranny for the brushless truck.
    Last edited by Davenow; 07-16-2009 at 10:39 AM.

RC Champion
    Sorry about that. Evidently a word that is in the Bible is worthy of points.

Let me rephrase it.

In other news, the tranny in my Spec slash is making all sorts of bad noises. Gotta tear it apart and see whats wrong. I am probably going to take the good tranny out of the brushless truck and swap it in, then build an upgraded tranny for the brushless truck.
    I learned that lesson too about the devils home....
    No matter where you go there you are.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by rustytraxx
    I learned that lesson too about the devils home....

lol yeah I saw it filtered it, so I never bothered to change it.

I dont really understand what the problem is if it just turns it in to asterix's (spelling?) anyway. Isnt that the entire point of a swear filter?

Im sure Im gonna get more points now for "complaining" Even though I am not really complaining. Whatever, lesson learned I guess.

Oh almost forgot, I still havent had the rear caps blow off since going to the alum caps. I have however blown a front cap off on a big landing. The LHS didnt have 2 sets of caps
    Last edited by Davenow; 07-16-2009 at 10:42 AM.

RC Champion
    Just curious, has anyone tried putting some 1/8 scale buggy front shocks on the Slash? The length should be about right and you can get pretty much any brand you want. Aluminum larger-bore bodies at a cheap price (relatively speaking) sounds good to me. And, more choices in spring rates.

As a matter of fact, I'm gonna check into this tonight. On a CRT.5, Revo shocks in the front and front buggy shocks in the rear works really well and looks mean. Can't imagine it couldn't be adapted for the Slash with equally good results.

RC Qualifier
    I'm not sure about front shocks but I have some from a Duratrax Raze in the rear and I'm very happy with them, they're also about $15 cheaper than big bores.
    Vehicle(s): None
    Owned:Rustler,Slash,E-Maxx

RC Champion
    Sorry about that. Evidently a word that is in the Bible is worthy of points. Not really complaining, I just think its goofy.

Let me rephrase it.

Well, it doesn't look like you used it in reference to the location so I don't know why you would say because it's in the Bible it's okay. You might think it's goofy but honestly, that's not the context you used it in.
    They're pretty strict here but it keeps it clean for the little ones that are on here all the time.