RC Qualifier

Exclamation Spur Wobble Possible Reason

After replacing my stock spur today with a 90t I noticed the wobble some have been experiencing.

I began to slowly spin the spur and noticed the bearing was not seated correctly. I removed the spur, bearing and slipper pad plate. I placed the bearing in place until flush on the outside, gently placed the slipper pad plate in place and began to tighten the 3 screws until snug. I then reinstalled the assembly on the shaft, tightened the spring and NO WOBBLE.

This may not be the "end all-fix all" for the spur gear wobble issue, but it worked for me.

In a box on Hwy. 64 bashin' with Bradley Youngskins!
    ah, cool. Sounds like a good possible reason on why the wobble is occuring. Let's hope it stays like that.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rugruner
    After replacing my stock spur today with a 90t I noticed the wobble some have been experiencing.

I began to slowly spin the spur and noticed the bearing was not seated correctly. I removed the spur, bearing and slipper pad plate. I placed the bearing in place until flush on the outside, gently placed the slipper pad plate in place and began to tighten the 3 screws until snug. I then reinstalled the assembly on the shaft, tightened the spring and NO WOBBLE.

This may not be the "end all-fix all" for the spur gear wobble issue, but it worked for me.
    cool now i know if that happens i know what to do
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for sharing! Very interesting. I'll give that a try as mine wobbles but both of my spur gears don't lay completely flat on a flat surface.

Also, how much do you loosen the nut and spring after fully tightening it for a Velineon System? This is my first time removing the Spur gear and slipper.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dialed_in
    Thanks for sharing! Very interesting. I'll give that a try as mine wobbles but both of my spur gears don't lay completely flat on a flat surface.

Also, how much do you loosen the nut and spring after fully tightening it for a Velineon System? This is my first time removing the Spur gear and slipper.
    I do not have a Velineon System, I run a Reedy Challenger 19T Spec on Maxamps 5000mAh 7 cell. I can keep up with my buddies brushless Slash on the track, but a bit slower on the street.

As for the slipper; I'm always adjusting to suit traction needs.

RC Qualifier
    I do not have a Velineon System, I run a Reedy Challenger 19T Spec on Maxamps 5000mAh 7 cell. I can keep up with my buddies brushless Slash on the track, but a bit slower on the street.

As for the slipper; I'm always adjusting to suit traction needs.
    Thanks rugruner. I just checked the Slash manual and it said the minimum would be to loosen 1/2 turn and a good starting point would be 1 turn.

RC Enthusiast
    I really dig these kinds of posts and find them useful for everyone, myself included. I hadn't thought of checking the bearing alignment within the spur - good eye.

I found another reason for the wobble is that when new, those three slipper pads aren't seated properly. Out of the box, the clutch spring was compressed all the way and I saw a considerable wobble. Backed it off one full turn as advised in the manual, ran a pack and wobble gone.

Love it when a plan comes together.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by celt
    I really dig these kinds of posts and find them useful for everyone, myself included. I hadn't thought of checking the bearing alignment within the spur - good eye.

I found another reason for the wobble is that when new, those three slipper pads aren't seated properly. Out of the box, the clutch spring was compressed all the way and I saw a considerable wobble. Backed it off one full turn as advised in the manual, ran a pack and wobble gone.

Love it when a plan comes together.
    You mentioned about the slipper pads not being seated properly. I brought this up in a thread some time ago.

I hope this works for those having the wobble problem. I'm just happy I had the eye to notice the culprit.

RC Enthusiast
    Which brings another question...

Would it make sense to use a washer between the bearing and the slipper spring with the hopes of providing more even pressure?

Anyone try this?

You mentioned about the slipper pads not being seated properly. I brought this up in a thread some time ago.

I hope this works for those having the wobble problem. I'm just happy I had the eye to notice the culprit.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by celt
    Which brings another question...

Would it make sense to use a washer between the bearing and the slipper spring with the hopes of providing more even pressure?

Anyone try this?
    Its funny you bring this up, I was thinking about that last evening. In theory it will work, man.....I need a washer now.

*NOTE*
    Careful when vocalizing the fact you need a washer, my wife heard me and said "( I've been saying that for 4 months)"