RC Enthusiast

Lipo "C" rating Question!

I've been taking my time researching different lipo batts/chargers, but I have a question. How high of a "C" rating does a 8.5 brushless havoc system need to be at full potential. I know the higher the "C" rating the more the punch it will have. I'm finding some very nicely priced lipos with 25-30C rating...I just don't want to starve the ESC/Motor for juice by going to low. Will a 25C rated batt give my brushless system enough power it needs to jam?

Also, can balancing be done durning the discharge process? Or does it have to be done while charging?
    Slash w/ Havoc Brushless 8.5 "SICKNESS!"

RC Champion
    Balancing can be done only while charge or immediately falling charging. I don't think there is a certain c rating the system needs it just the highrer the better, 25-30c is a good rating. You will not be starving your brushless system.
    I have monkeys dancing in my pants!!!

RC Competitor
    Balance while charging and the higher 'C' the more power.

Dont get a 15C for the Slash. Get atleast 20C +
    Slash w/MM 5700kv, 3s Lipo and many other goodies.

RC Enthusiast
    Don't forget MaH is just as if not MORE important than the C rating... a 30c 1000MaH battery would melt down in a slash... yet a 20c 4000+Mah battery will handle the load.

C rating= amount of Amps the battery can deliver per Mili Amp Hour(MaH)

So, lets take a 20C 1000 Mah battery... it can deliver 20 Amps continous and probably burst around 25-30 Amps for less than 30 seconds.... not gona cut it in a slash.

Now lets up the Mah... 20c 4000 Mah battery... 80 Amps continous and probably burst a bit over 100 Amps... this battery will put a on your face.
    Last edited by shultz; 07-17-2009 at 03:38 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I was thinking for my first lipo experience, the ***** 4000mAh 2s 25C...or the ******* 5000mAh 2s 20C. Which might be the better preformer?
    Slash w/ Havoc Brushless 8.5 "SICKNESS!"

RC Champion
    The 5000 will be better. it will run longer.

the math is simple man...
    4000mah @ 25c = 100a rating (4000 x .025)

5000mah @ 20c = 100a rating (5000 x .020)

the 5000 will supply the same "power" for a longer duration.

BUT... the reality is...

"" if you actually run any 40c 5000mah lipo “pack” at 40C constant(200 amps) the following would happen even if the individual cells could handle the load:

Your entire run time would be less than 90 seconds.
    You would melt the RC plug attached to the pack(Deans, Traxxas, Tamiya, etc).
    The bullet connectors on a hard case pack would melt out of the casing.
    Even 12awg noodle wire would get too hot to touch. ""

That info is taken directly from MaxAmps....

the simple fact is, if the capacity is high enough, then the C rating can be lower and still be fine. you could safely run an 8000maH 10c pack in one of these trucks and still have an 80amp capable pack...
    Last edited by DrFizz2k1; 07-17-2009 at 06:54 PM.
    Slash 2wd w/ Novak
    Rusty w/ Castle