RC Enthusiast

Checking Voltage?

This may be a rookie question but can I tell how "charged" a battery is by checking the voltage with a DC voltmeter? Is checking it like this kind of like looking at the fuel meter on a car to see how much fuel you have left?
    If the battery is a 1600 mah and 7.4 volts and you get a voltmeter reading of 7 volts does that mean that there is some lesser multiple of the 1600mah left in the battery?
    I assume that if the battery is 1600 mah what you really need to know is how many mah are left in the battery to know how "full" it is. Does checking the volts tell you this? If not how can you really tell how "full" a battery is?
    Growing old is Inevitable, growing up is Optional!

In a box on Hwy. 64 bashin' with Bradley Youngskins!
    Well, i use it to check how full my batts are. And i use my Onyx 230 to tell me how many mah's i used during a run. W/ the voltmeter, you're checking how many volts out of the total voltage of the batt are left. But after a full charge, it should go over said battery voltage.

RC poster
    Voltage is not an accurate gauge of how much juice is left in a battery. It can still show good voltage but not have much left in the way of mAh. You will only know how much was left after you recharge the battery and see how much mAh it took to recharge it based on the rating of the battery but there again it is not 100% accurate because the actual mAh capacity changes as a battery ages.

In a box on Hwy. 64 bashin' with Bradley Youngskins!
    yes, exactly what i meant. Accuracy is off.

RC Enthusiast
    So am I getting this right? If you had 5 batteries, some fully charged and some at less than full and they got mixed up there is NO WAY that you could tell what their state of readiness is?
    Growing old is Inevitable, growing up is Optional!

RC Enthusiast
    I just throw them on my peak detecting charger. If they are full, it will beep in a min or two.

RC Champion
    Voltage is not real accurate and can be off many times.
    Resting voltage: 1.2 is discharged, 1.4 is charged.
    4s Pede, 6S Maxx, 3S Rusty, 6S slash

RC Qualifier
    my 7 cell niMH usually peaks at 10.23 volts and when its drained its usually around 8.6volts.

Like stated the voltage has nothing to do with the charge of the battery, It does to an extent but its more solely based on current which is a combination of the given voltage and the mAH.
    2008 Revo Platinum Edition.