RC Qualifier

Guys I have a PROBLEM!

I just got done sprayer all my blue aluminum with Heavy Duty Easy Off because I wanted everything silver instead of blue! Well when I went back to check on them, instead of making the blue anodizing come off, it looks like theres a bunch of corrosion on them now! I thought that Easy Off would make anodize come off? I sprayed my engine cooling head, 17mm spline hexes, and the blue bulkhead tierods. Here's a picture of one of the bulkhead tierods:

Please tell me what my problem is? Thanks OH IM VERY MAD
    HPI BAJA 5T->
    E-Flite 400 3D->
    MERV->
    VXL Blitz

That look bad. I wanted mine silver too I just took them off and painted them with out removing the blue and they look OK you can't hardly see them any how.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Racer
    dude your supposed to put it in a pan and soak it for a few minutes then immediatly take it out and rinse it off with water and scrub the color off. Those thing are toast. You might be able to still use em but they look like junk.
    lol...I am at 20%

It's just oxidation. Take a scotch brite to them to clean them up and then spray clear coat engine enamel on them from like autozone. Don't wire wheel them or they'll get a black look to them. You want to coarse scotch brite and then a very fine scotch brite to shine it up. If you really want to make it shine after you do the scotch briting you can use chrome polishing paste.

If you clear coat it make sure you clean it good with denatured alcohol or prep all so the clear will adhere good.

Don't worry you didn't ruin it. I should know I've tig welded on aluminum for over 5 years and have had to clean up stuff worse than that.

RC Qualifier
    Greased Lightning works wonders on annodized aluminum!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Isn't that like a degreaser or something right? Has this happened to you before or someone you know? Because if i have to scrap with scotchbrite, it's going to be a really big pain on the cooling head!!! Maybe I might have to buy just another cooling head, does anybody recommend a aftermarket one? or just stick with the stock one? Thanks
    HPI BAJA 5T->
    E-Flite 400 3D->
    MERV->
    VXL Blitz

RC Enthusiast
    Looks etched to me...you could possibly wetsand, polish then clear them
    99 GSX
    2.3 Stroker
    PT 6262
    546 awhp-PUMP GAS

RC Qualifier
    Check these pictures out of the cooling head:

Who makes aftermarket cooling heads that are good!
    HPI BAJA 5T->
    E-Flite 400 3D->
    MERV->
    VXL Blitz

RC Qualifier
    sorry to say man! you gotta do a little more research those look terrible.
    Revo 3.3,slayer,ERBE,
    Slash 4x4 RTR and Platinum

RC Champion
    How long did you put them in for!?

RC Qualifier
    Well I sprayed them pretty good and wet, them came back in a 4 hours because I forgot about them and they dried up! So I sprayed them again to loosing everything up again and nothing happened! I don't know what I'm going to do!
    HPI BAJA 5T->
    E-Flite 400 3D->
    MERV->
    VXL Blitz

RC Qualifier
    Your supposed to put them in a baggie so the cleaner does not dry. Same thing for removing paint from model car bodies. I have always known of using "clean shower" to remove anodizing..

I give you credit for giving it shot though!
    Built Ford tuff!

RC Qualifier
    just got done with one more spray with it inside of a ziploc bag, pressure washed it off and it looks way better then the above picture! Going through another round in the bag right now so hopefully it will come out really clean this time, I'll post some pics when I get done! Thanks
    HPI BAJA 5T->
    E-Flite 400 3D->
    MERV->
    VXL Blitz

RC Qualifier
    Right on! Alot of that is just dried up crap. (<<watching the language sensor on this one)

Wow, I filtered myself from saying crap in another topic (in respect to the younger crowd). Which the language filter find's non-offensive-ODD!. And I still got smacked with a 5 point charge. Nice!
    Last edited by wildosvt; 07-24-2009 at 08:37 PM.
    Built Ford tuff!

RC Champion
    dont get an aftermarket cooling head. it will mess with the tune which you will befooled by it. some people go too lean with them. i got another 3.3 cooling head if you want to start over.
    Jato roller and lots of extra trx parts for sale.

RC Qualifier
    How much will you be willing to sell it to me for+shipping to Shelley, Idaho 83274? I got it pretty cleaned up but not the way I want it, nice and polished! Let me know, Thanks
    HPI BAJA 5T->
    E-Flite 400 3D->
    MERV->
    VXL Blitz