RC Qualifier

Brushless = Stock?

Anyone know of a brushless motor that would be the same speed as a stock titan? Im having lots of problems with my motors failing recently, and was thinking of going brushless, but i bash around with my buddies too much and a regular brushless motor is going to be way to fast to keep a level playing field between the cars.. so i was wondering if anyone knew a brushless alternative to the titan, but would be equal in speed to it?

RC Qualifier
    hmm... why would you want to keep a level playing field. get a vxl and they will soon follow. it will be much more fun.
    ...true story.

RC Racer
    you can buy a castle system and program it thru your PC and tune it down. But if you want stock speed why not just replace the motor?
    lol...I am at 20%

RC Qualifier
    I would recommmend the new Waterproof VXL system. For limiting speed, you can:

a) Just keep the stock gearing - the speed will be similar.

b) Increase the gearing (recommended) and then use either training mode (built into the ESC) or just limit your throttle

~asifjahmed
    E-Revo Brushless Edition | Slash w/ Waterproof VXL

RC Champion
    + you can run vxl on training mode and it will be about the titan.
    No matter where you go there you are.

RC Racer
    its noticably faster still with stock gearing, I was killing a guy yesterday with my VXL and he was stock. We both were 18/86, and were both running nimh. training mode is painfully slow as well. If he has a decent radio he can set his throttle endpoints at around 70% or go ghetto fabulous and tape something behind his trigger.
    lol...I am at 20%

RC Champion
    just get a vxl and then put it on training mode
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Qualifier
    I already have a VXL on another truck that i play around with and its quite noticably faster. so im familar with its speed which is why im hoping to find a motor that is much slower..

The reason I want to stay close to stock is the fun factor.. slower trucks means more bashing time, more fishtailing and less running to flip them back over after When we race, its not about who finishes first, its about who can keep all 4 wheels on the track long enough to cross the line in the first place :P

Plus, 2 of the 4 friends i race with dont have the disposible income me and a few others have so its just better for us to stay close to stock to stay in the same range of speed as them, then them try to come up to our upgraded speed.

Bigboy: I want to stay stock with less hassle then the stock motor, as ive gone through 6 now in the last few months.. so thats why im looking into this option. If mamba has a software package for the PC i can limit the top end speed to something similar to the titan, then that sounds like a very good solution to what i am trying to acomplish. Thanks!

RC Champion
    Orion 17t would be anouther good brushed motor.
    No matter where you go there you are.

RC Racer
    I hear ya, VXL is quite faster than stock, and training is way slower.

I am not sure if they have an actual "slow down" mode on the castle, you might be able to manipulate the throttle curve to get the desired effect tho, I would check for you but I fried mine on the ERBE and its at castle ATM..

http://www.castlecreations.com/products/sidewinder.html
    lol...I am at 20%

You know what you want to do, so here's my suggestion on what to do it with. Take a look at the Novak 17.5 turn system ->http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=SM&I=LXWLX0 The motor is only a 2200Kv, so it is much lower speed then the VXL's 3500Kv, and it is a shorter can, so less torque than the VXL. Plus it is a sensored setup, so it is easier to control at low rpm. The run time on it should be really good. The ESC is limited to 2s lipo, though.

Bear in mind, I've never run this motor. I'm just looking at the specs and recommending what I believe will do what you want. I may have gone a bit too conservitive, though, because the Slash is a rather heavy vehicle, and you may need a bit more motor to keep up with the stock setup.

RC Champion
    once you get your BL all your friends will follow!

RC Qualifier
    Novak now has the Ballistic Spec series of motors approved for stock class racing in 10.5, 13.5, 17.5, and 21.5 turn versions. And the cool thing is you can convert anyone of them into the other buy just buying a new stator section, I would look into that for lower-speed brushless performance.
    1/16 Revo
    X-60
    X-6

RC Qualifier
    Xtraman, thoes look really nice.. so for the 12t titan, would i just get the 10t brushless and limit the rpm a little on it to match the titan is that how it would work?

I think Cainam is right.I would have to check again but I think 17.5 is the ROAR legal brushless SC motor.

RC Qualifier
    Well i found out a lot of interesting things last night while trying to do a little research.. 1 is that the motor specs of the titan arnt easily found ;P The majority of people are saying around 3000kv is a good number to be around to match the titan, and RPM ranges i cant really pinpoint because some people say 7,600 and others are saying 37,000 so not sure :P

However i did find this which looks really interesting
    http://banebots.com/pc/MOTOR-BRUSH/M2-RS550-120
    now, it LOOKS like the same motor, but of course i dont know the specs really of the titan so i cant honestly match up much in the lines of comparison of whats on the site.. but man, if this is the same motor, then i sure found a new place to get motors from for 6 bucks!

I have an email in to Novak and asked them what motor they recommend to keep speeds within line of the titan so ill write back what they say

RC Qualifier
    I honestly wouldn't be surprised if that is exactly what Traxxas uses for their Titans, they don't make the Velineon motors themselves either do they? And yes, ROAR allows 17.5 and 27 turn motors into the stock spec class, here are what they list as some general rules(I'm going to it this weekend, I'll be sure to post some pics and maybe vids). But as for matching the Titan, it's no speed demon, so I'm pretty confident that a high quality Novak 17.5t BL setup could easily keep up with the mighty Titan "12t". And then you could also race in any stock spec class, as long as you haven't modded anything else outside of the rules that is. And if you get bored with the 17.5t from Novak, for like $30 you can make it into the 10.5t version.
    1/16 Revo
    X-60
    X-6

RC Qualifier
    Go with BL and they will follow. Sorry to say this but go with what is best for you. If your buds want to keep up or when they see the power, speed and how high your jumps are getting more than likely they will upgrade themselves if they can afford it.

Also consider that BL is pretty much maintenance free....
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

RC Qualifier
    What is best for me is just to find a motor that runs at their speed.. I already have a fast car i cant control and i very much like the speed of the stock slash im just having issues killing motors due to crap getting in them as i said :P so.. thanks for the comments though.. but my option is not to have my friends just go faster :P

Im looking into a few brushless motors right now that run roughtly the same RPS range (19,000) as the titan, so ill post back when i select something and give it a try.

Ive also found 5 dollar motors that look to be exact specs of the titan 12t, I have a few of thoes on order now so when they arrive ill be doing some speed runs with my friend to compare the motors. If they work out to be a "generic" titan motor, then i could buy a box of them instead and not be so upset burning out 5 bucks as opposed to 25 like i do now ;P

RC Qualifier
    Well good luck and enjoy.
    Aut viam inveniam aut faciam