RC poster

Dual Steering Servo On E-revo Vxl

Can You Run Two Waterproof Steering Servos On The E-revo Vxl?i Have A Spectrum Radio Dx3.0..please Advise..

RC Competitor
    yes you could

The only problem you would have is that none of the linkages are adjustable. You would want to use channel mixing, and slave the AUX channel to steering, so you can plug the 2nd servo into the AUX channel, and set the trims and end points seperately so the linkage doesn't bind up the servos.

I've got the same radio - if you need a hand, PM me. . .

RC poster
    HELLO
    THANKS FOR THE DATA ..MY LOCAL HOBBIE SHOP ADVISED A NEW RADIO SYSTEM..CAN CONNECT I THE TWO SERVOS WITH A SPLITTER INTO ONE .OR DO YOU NOT ADVISE THAT..

THANKS
    CALVIN
    Quote Originally Posted by Cainam
    The only problem you would have is that none of the linkages are adjustable. You would want to use channel mixing, and slave the AUX channel to steering, so you can plug the 2nd servo into the AUX channel, and set the trims and end points seperately so the linkage doesn't bind up the servos.

I've got the same radio - if you need a hand, PM me. . .

RC Enthusiast
    not sure why you wanna do that,
    why not get a stronger faster servo

and yes, you should get a Y-cabel, thats what im running on my MCD largescale
    there are no problem running 2 largescale servos with a y-cabel
    regards

- Søren Prehn
    - Denmark

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by nittro1
    HELLO
    THANKS FOR THE DATA ..MY LOCAL HOBBIE SHOP ADVISED A NEW RADIO SYSTEM..CAN CONNECT I THE TWO SERVOS WITH A SPLITTER INTO ONE .OR DO YOU NOT ADVISE THAT..

THANKS
    CALVIN
    There is already two slots in the reciever for the servos.
    What am I supposed to write in 50 characters?

Like I said, since there is NO adjustment in the stock linkage, unless the servos match up exactly at center, they will always be fighting each other. Since nittro1 mentioned that he has a DX3.0 radio, the easiest way to align everything is using the AUX channel slaved to steering.

You can use a Y harness and plug both servos into one channel (or use the 2 plugs on the stock radio - internal Y harness, basically,) but to do that you absolutely MUST use adjustable linkage on the servos to the center servo saver.
    Last edited by Cainam; 08-07-2009 at 07:46 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Did anyone found an adjustable replacement part, purchased or shimmed, for the servo linkage?

This truck is designed for a dual servo setup. If only to keep the left-right weight distribution symmetrical... The extra chanel1 on the stock electronic is there for a reason as well.

Ref thread... :
    Dual Steering Servo on Revo...?

Traxxas reference for the Big Revo (check page 26.).
    http://www.traxxas.com/PDF-Library/5605_manual.pdf
    ... Would it be 7 degree as well for the mini?;

Mini Servo Assembly :

I was thinking of cutting and drilling some spare parts... It's tight but It does not need a lot of range anyway... Although, it need to be strong enough...

I ran a bit with the dual stock servos, but ended up removing one link... Even If I can get both to be idle (noiseless) after calibration (there is a bit of movement possible while tightening them in + different notch combo for the horns).
    ... I am playing safe, it's bugging me that they are not perfectly symmetrical...

So, until I do something about it, my spare is installed, sealed and ready to take over if the other one give up...

Now that my truck is starting to be tuned to my taste (I can take high speed turns on the proper racing line more often ). The need for more torque is becoming relevant...

Edit : Stock Servo = 41.7 oz-in. Dual should end up at 83.4 oz-in right? And waterproof.
    Last edited by Papino; 08-07-2009 at 10:26 PM.

RC Champion
    Did you ever hook this up?. I just put some huge tires on and I am thinking a second servo might not be a bad idea, the linkages you need come in the upper and lower steering linkage kit traxxas part number 7043, my summit has dual servos with them hooked up in channel 1 and 2 on the RX. all you should need to do is align the spines to adjust the linkages, think i will give this a whirl, off to Ebay, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Papino
    Did anyone found an adjustable replacement part, purchased or shimmed, for the servo linkage?

This truck is designed for a dual servo setup. If only to keep the left-right weight distribution symmetrical... The extra chanel1 on the stock electronic is there for a reason as well.

Ref thread... :
    Dual Steering Servo on Revo...?

Traxxas reference for the Big Revo (check page 26.).
    http://www.traxxas.com/PDF-Library/5605_manual.pdf
    ... Would it be 7 degree as well for the mini?;

Mini Servo Assembly :

I was thinking of cutting and drilling some spare parts... It's tight but It does not need a lot of range anyway... Although, it need to be strong enough...

I ran a bit with the dual stock servos, but ended up removing one link... Even If I can get both to be idle (noiseless) after calibration (there is a bit of movement possible while tightening them in + different notch combo for the horns).
    ... I am playing safe, it's bugging me that they are not perfectly symmetrical...

So, until I do something about it, my spare is installed, sealed and ready to take over if the other one give up...

Now that my truck is starting to be tuned to my taste (I can take high speed turns on the proper racing line more often ). The need for more torque is becoming relevant...

Edit : Stock Servo = 41.7 oz-in. Dual should end up at 83.4 oz-in right? And waterproof.
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread.php?536733

RC Competitor
    I cut linkage drilled and tapped for a 2.5mm thread and then ground the head of a s.h.c.s. (leaving a 2.5 x 20 mm stud) . had to play with adjustment by popping on and off the servo, tightening a half turn at a time, till I got it to stop humming, but works real good

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by quadiak
    Did you ever hook this up?. I just put some huge tires on and I am thinking a second servo might not be a bad idea, the linkages you need come in the upper and lower steering linkage kit traxxas part number 7043, my summit has dual servos with them hooked up in channel 1 and 2 on the RX. all you should need to do is align the spines to adjust the linkages, think i will give this a whirl, off to Ebay, lol
    I ended up upgrading the servo, putting this mod on the shelf. I had enough oz/in.

A turnbuckle that small is tricky to do.

... still on the Pit to do list :
    - dual waterproof KoPropo PDS-31011CS
    - adjustable steering linkage
    What have you learned today?

RC Qualifier
    I ran two HS-85MGs with the little white horns that come with them. I also used a Y adapter harness. Worked fine but I took one out just to see and couldn't tell any difference at all. Now I run only one.
    Also the servos did not fight each other at all and centred very well but seems like one of them is enough. At least it is for what I do wiht it. I say get one decent servo and be done with it. For wet running just use the stock one. Thats why I kept all the stock waterproof gear for the rain season.
    BASH. BREAK. FIX. REPEAT. ALWAYS REPEAT.

RC Qualifier
    I just ordered another TRA 7043(to get the extra linkage and screws)..and got the stock servo. and put that one as dual..mixed it with the AUX channel, and its been running fine since day one

RC Qualifier
    If you do not know yet, the GPM Turnbuckle Tie Rod Set contains an adjustable servo linkage

Steal : SERV160 F/ MINI E-REVO
    Alloy : ERV160 F/ MINI E-REVO, various color available.

It works great, you can adjust in steps of half a turn. I have it installed to pair some Plasti-Dip waterproofed KO Propo PDS-3101. Bring on that snow!!!
    Last edited by Papino; 12-27-2009 at 09:05 PM.
    What have you learned today?

RC Qualifier
    Do you find the HS-85 to work better at holding the wheels in position?

Quote Originally Posted by BIG-block View Post
    I ran two HS-85MGs with the little white horns that come with them. I also used a Y adapter harness. Worked fine but I took one out just to see and couldn't tell any difference at all. Now I run only one.
    Also the servos did not fight each other at all and centred very well but seems like one of them is enough. At least it is for what I do wiht it. I say get one decent servo and be done with it. For wet running just use the stock one. Thats why I kept all the stock waterproof gear for the rain season.
    Yep, yours is faster. OH; and it's broken too!

RC Champion
    I run two servos, properly aligned they don't fight each other, just set both to zero center before attaching linkages, work great with my dirt paws which have insane grip in the mud and an insane diameter - before dual set up I was stripping gears every run, now none gone in 30+ runs. On all tyres the steering is much more precise.

The Time I Enjoy Wasting Is Not Time Wasted
    Time I enjoy wasting is not time wasted

RC Racer
    Man it sure looks mean with those tires. So is it possisable to run the dual servos like you said with the traxxas 2.4 RX and TX?
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!

Quote Originally Posted by FFS RACING View Post
    Man it sure looks mean with those tires. So is it possisable to run the dual servos like you said with the traxxas 2.4 RX and TX?
    that shouldnt be a problem
    Living life.

RC Qualifier
    Yup, just did it with my rally last week. You just plug it into the other channel one spot and go
    Rally SV2/4600 and fully loaded

RC Champion
    Yes there's even a second slot in the receiver for the servo to plug into and needs NO special setup with respect to the Tx or Rx

The Time I Enjoy Wasting Is Not Time Wasted
    Time I enjoy wasting is not time wasted

RC Racer
    Awesome thanks guys. I will definaty add this to my list of things to do.
    GO HARD OR GO HOME!

RC Qualifier
    Hey BrabusBen, I got my second servo attached and I'm getting some chatter... It comes and goes and I'm just wondering how much of this you get?
    Rally SV2/4600 and fully loaded

RC Racer

Cool

I put a second one on my 1 16 summit with just plugging the servo into the extra slot for channel 1 almost right when I got it and it has lasted way longer then with just one. My friend also has a mini simmit and he has already gone through 2 servos and decided to the same and put two in, cause mine are still going strong.(They do chatter a little even right away don't worry about it So Cold)

RC Enthusiast
    Can u post a pic ?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    gpm has adjustable links

RC Qualifier
    i got one of those adjustable servo links in my gpm tie/toe link set as well