Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RC Champion
    Another DO fit pic. and link. With no mod.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUHV0

HARDCORR RACING

RC Champion
    Just ran it with these bad boys and they are sweeeeet! I softened up the suspension to help tame the rollovers and it handles great. I am using a 16t pinion with the stock battery.
    HARDCORR RACING

RC Qualifier
    yea i have those on order! how much do they weigh versus stock? got any side by side pics and etc??
    "You must first climb, to be at the top"

RC Racer
    I just received my set of HPI Super Star 2.2" wheels and 2.2 Anaconda tires.
    First thing....I just found out that I am not very good at gluing tires. Harder than I thought it would be. I bolted these babies on, and first thing I noticed was some serious friction and rubbing. It appears that the 12mm hex on the wheel is just a little too deep for the mini 12mm hexes. So I tried to use some really small washers I had laying around as spacers. They were a touch too big, so I broke out the grinder and "shrunk" them a little. Ended up working like a charm. So I bolt the wheels back on, this time with the spacer, and run her down the street. Gotta say I love the look, but the thing was all over the place. Pulls super hard to the left. I left the camber alone, but tweaked the toe links (I got the adjustable ones) until I could get it somewhat in-line. Still have the neg. camber, rears are toed in, fronts are toed in just a little. The handling is awful....kinda herky-jerky. Pulls to left one second, then next second it jerks right. I'm not really happy with these at all. I can't seem to get this handling issue ironed out. Stock tires did not handle the greatest, but were way better than these. I have some pics, but don't have them uploaded anyplace. I'm thinking about going back to stockers.....too bad I can't find a set of pre-glued talon 2.2" tires & wheels. I think the poor handling might be the fact that these tires are so much skinnier...either that or I just have the toe-links all out of whack.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by round
    Just ran it with these bad boys and they are sweeeeet! I softened up the suspension to help tame the rollovers and it handles great. I am using a 16t pinion with the stock battery.
    Hey round did you play with the transmission by doing the gear swap or did you leave the transmission alone?

RC Qualifier
    No, you just change pinion/spur gears, you never touch inside the trans.
    1/16 Revo
    X-60
    X-6

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by xtraman122
    No, you just change pinion/spur gears, you never touch inside the trans.
    You are incorrect xtraman122. Traxxas recommends switching to gear underdrive gearing in the tranny once tires are 4 inches or larger. You can find this info in your user manual as well as on line.

RC Champion
    It is not necessary to touch the transmission. I am running over 4in. tires on both of my mini revos. I run a 19t pinion on mine and a 16t pinion on my sons. These trucks are so much fun with the bigger tires. The stock tires are sooooo boring. Give it a try, you won't regret it. Just make sure you gear down for the big tires.
    Alvin
    HARDCORR RACING

RC Racer
    here are hexes that work w/ both the revo & MLST
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

if the link doesn't work just copy & paste
    As fast as U can, & then a bit faster!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by round
    It is not necessary to touch the transmission. I am running over 4in. tires on both of my mini revos.
    Quote Originally Posted by POD87
    You are incorrect xtraman122.
    Hmm, certainly doesn't seem that way, thanks for telling me to read the idiot book though, I'll stick to what I know does/doesn't work for the time being.
    1/16 Revo
    X-60
    X-6

RC Qualifier
    From the original post...
    Ofna 1/12 scale BBT rear wheels
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&P=WR&I=LXUVU9

JC Concepts Goose Bumps front 4WD tires
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUFB1

This combo works amazing.
    Tires are slightly taller than stock but not much
    Track width is just barely wider than stock, almost identical
    Tires are narrower than stock
    Traction is about 200% better
    Steering is much much better
    The cushion of the foam in the tires is like as if you added another inch of suspension travel.
    Putting these on the Revo makes a huge difference. It should have come out of the box like this. It looks like a Platinum Edition Revo 3.3 and handles like one. The change was like going from a Losi Mini-T to a 1/16 Revo. Night and day difference. The traction from the tires is unbelievable. Get this combo, now.

-O|||||||O-

RC Qualifier
    I went with two sets of the HPI SuperStar rims, one set of rims for a set of the 2.2 badlands and one set of the JConcept goosebumps, same that Cirkus is using above/\, as soon as they get in I will get them glues and try them out!
    "Obedience alone gives the right to command."

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirkus

The cushion of the foam in the tires is like as if you added another inch of suspension travel.
    Putting these on the Revo makes a huge difference. It should have come out of the box like this. It looks like a Platinum Edition Revo 3.3 and handles like one. The change was like going from a Losi Mini-T to a 1/16 Revo. Night and day difference. The traction from the tires is unbelievable. Get this combo, now.

Are they good on gravel surface too? With the stock tires im not happy.
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=born2bash

RC Qualifier
    I'm looking for some tire that will run good in a combination of packed dirt and loose sand. We run at a local sand pit, bashing.

So I'm wondering will these give me the grip I'm looking for?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDT92&P=0
    ~ Alli

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirkus

I tried OFNA CRT.5 rims with absolutely the opposite results. The hexes were way too deep which caused them to bind. The wheel nuts didn't catch but maybe a thread or so. I wasn't impressed at all. There are however 10th scale buggy wheels that work tons better.
    Run it like you borrowed it!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by firestarter
    Are they good on gravel surface too? With the stock tires im not happy.
    The tread will probably wear very fast in gravel. I am only running them on a prepared watered track.
    -O|||||||O-

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by AcadDude
    I tried OFNA CRT.5 rims with absolutely the opposite results. The hexes were way too deep which caused them to bind. The wheel nuts didn't catch but maybe a thread or so. I wasn't impressed at all. There are however 10th scale buggy wheels that work tons better.
    I'm not sure about the CRT wheels. The BBT wheels though fit great, I recommend them.
    -O|||||||O-

RC Racer
    Those are the exact wheels I use for my CRT.5. They bind when tightened down. They do not work at all for me! I know that without modification they do not work for other people as well.
    Run it like you borrowed it!

RC Racer
    In a place where I am planning my next RC aquisition...
    hpi vintage...+6mm offset and 31mm wide...

Last edited by paba60; 08-16-2009 at 01:40 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, Goose Bumps(or any JConcepts tire or Proline race oriented tire) are not good for bashing, they use soft compunds on the race tires and will wear down to nothing in about 10 solid bash sessions.
    1/16 Revo
    X-60
    X-6

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by paba60
    hpi vintage...+6mm offset and 31mm wide...

i really like the look of that....makes me want a 1/16 slash
    Nitro Rustler
    T-Maxx 4908
    1/16 E-Revo

RC Qualifier
    Those are the exact wheels I use for my CRT.5. They bind when tightened down. They do not work at all for me! I know that without modification they do not work for other people as well.
    I didn't think about it before but I see what the problem is now. Let me amend my statement. The BBT wheels work if you also run the HR axle carriers. Comparing them side by side, I can now see that the HR carriers have an additional raised section where the hex meets up. I guess this prevents any binding. The pics should clear things up.

-O|||||||O-

RC Competitor
    Thanks paba60, I have a set of those... satin HPI Vintage +6mm offset / 31mm tires. Did you have to trim the foams?

RC Racer
    In a place where I am planning my next RC aquisition...
    aktoaz...

I didn't have to trim the foams...they'll fit in the tires fine...They work awesome too...rub a little under heavy loads because of the width but after the tires are scuffed...No Problem. The wife just bought me a set of the +6 / 31mm stock car rims too...I'll post some pics tomorrow.

RC Racer

Buy a 10 dollar dremel tool from Harbor Freight(and get the 4 dollar insurance on it! FREE DREMELS FOR 2 YEARS!! lol). Then dremel a couple of mm's off the rim where it meets the hex.... It's easy and cheap. And every racer in my area runs either BBT dish or the stock Dish rims for the crt .5 on the mini revo. In my opinion these two rim choices (and those kyosho flush rims) are the best at the moment for the mini revo. Slap some rear buggy tires (or even stretch some fronts!) over them and your good to go!

RC Competitor
    Thanks paba60, I'll definitely give it a try then.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 1FastPede
    bandits wheels work fine just remove the hex.
    Hi, I need a confirmation if bandit rear wheels will work with the MERV or not because I would like to get them today at my LHS.

The OP says the pin system wouldn't work, but here 1FastPede says it'll work after removing the hex. Please help.

RC Qualifier
    No, they don't work. You need thicker and longer axles with a bigger pin.
    1/16 Revo
    X-60
    X-6

RC Competitor

i tried some HPI Dish Wheels: #H3091 with
    Proline Hole Shot M3 Buggy rear: #8184-02(M3) Pair (2pc)

The wheels come with some adapters and the 4mm axle adapter fits.

First run today and i am happy with the combo.
    Last edited by firestarter; 08-21-2009 at 09:52 AM.
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=born2bash

RC Racer
    Those look good man.
    typing 1st amendment gets you 60% helping ppl 0%

RC poster
    This combo worked good for me..A-Mainhobbies

Team Academy Front Disk Wheel 4WD (Yellow) TAR98CP332 $4.49
    JConcepts Goose Bumps 2.2 Front 4WD Buggy Tires (Green) JCI3019-02 $10.75

No modifications needed..Mount them and go

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by AZBUSA
    This combo worked good for me..A-Mainhobbies

Team Academy Front Disk Wheel 4WD (Yellow) TAR98CP332 $4.49
    JConcepts Goose Bumps 2.2 Front 4WD Buggy Tires (Green) JCI3019-02 $10.75

No modifications needed..Mount them and go
    pics please. I needs to see some more yellow wheels.
    -O|||||||O-

RC Qualifier
    so which rims has the widest offset? I've bought the HPI brama due to this thread and it turns out the wheels are quite a bit narrower than stock talons, and the truck roll over every turn......
    5805,17/58,REM,VXL,1/8

RC Qualifier
    The HPI truck wheels are VERY wide and the Traxxas Lite dish wheels(#1972) are a fair bit wider as well. I've personally been shooting for a more narrow setup at the moment, because the wide, square like base seems to not handle very good on the track and I'm going to try a more long/narrow base more like a buggy.
    1/16 Revo
    X-60
    X-6

RC Qualifier
    can you also put down which wheels need mods/little mods/no mods in the first post so people can choose accordingly? thanx
    5805,17/58,REM,VXL,1/8

RC Qualifier
    No, I can't edit my post, which is very dumb.
    1/16 Revo
    X-60
    X-6

RC Qualifier
    FYI vs post#37 (Modified JConcepts beadlocks with Goose Bumps)

- The plastic axle hole mod did not last. I will redo them using something harder...

- The RockJamming free inside beadlock mod is a must if you want to use the JConcepts wheels in gravel... Note that it can be a pain to do if you do not have the right tools.

For all of you that feel that the axles are too short for your non-stock tires, try different nuts (Several shorter options are out there that will secure things better)!

RC Qualifier
    My latest get-up:
    Rear: Lazer ZX-5 rears with Suburbs
    Front: Lazer ZX-5 fronts with Hole Shots

These don't have the huge offset like the HPI or Traxxas dish wheels that everyone seems to be after. I've found that having the wide front end kills steering pretty bad on the track. This setup works 10x better than my Traxxas dish wheels and Goose Bumps. My buddy did Hole Shots in front and back, instead of the Suburbs in the back, we tried each-other's, but couldn't decide what worked better, we each like both for different reasons. My Suburbs allowed the rear end to swing around a little and would then hook again once given throttle, the Hole Shots didn't want to slide much, which was usually nice, but sometimes you did want to be able to slide. I think something like Step Pins will be ideal, but we did both definitely like what we got(he did the white flush wheels).

Edit: Setup so far is:

-Stock motor/esc/servo(want better servo)
    -JR XS3 radio
    -Rhino 1550mah 2S Lipos
    -ESC moved to right side batt tray(lower COG)
    -Tan springs fron and back with 60wt front and 70wt back
    -Limiters on both front and rear shocks to set them to sit arms level, roughly 3/4 preload on rear and 1/4 on front
    -Rear diff with 30K
    -Center diff with 100K
    -Front diff with 50K
    -That's all that I can think of, I would love adjustable to links, front sway bar, adjustable pushrods, and aluminum hubs(but they're way too expensive)

Last edited by xtraman122; 08-22-2009 at 04:59 PM.
    1/16 Revo
    X-60
    X-6

RC Qualifier
    I'm 100% basher and I found the HPI Brama tip over too easily dual to the narrow track but I see you point.

Just wondering if the HPI turcks or trx dish rear wheels be installed without any mod, and with stock nuts?
    5805,17/58,REM,VXL,1/8

RC Qualifier
    You don't need mods for either, but the nuts won't have a lot to grab to, get some non flanged nuts and put them on backwards and you'll be set. I did use my TRX ones with normal nuts though and they worked fine.
    1/16 Revo
    X-60
    X-6

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast