Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New hop-ups

RC Racer

New hop-ups

Well i got some new hop-up parts from the U.S in the mail today,

1.TRAXXAS MACHINED ALUMINUM REAR AXLE CARRIERS (1.5 DEGREE)
    2.TRAXXAS MACHINED ALUMINUM REAR SUSPENSION ARM MOUNTS (+/-1 DEGREE)
    3.Nitro 4-tec brake disc
    4.Black RPM headguard
    5.Bearing for steering (to replace plastic washers)
    6.Slipper clutch set (complete)
    7.New battery holder ( flipped the car and broke the switch)

Cant wait to fit them up, ill post some pics when there fitted
    I think ill get some MIP CVD next as my shafts are starting the wear out (excessive play)
    Last edited by waggaclint; 08-10-2009 at 05:24 AM.

Nice! Post some pics!!

Also, why a 4-tec disc brake,what are the differences?
    Learn by doing

RC Racer
    The 4-tec disc is made out of a fibre type material and the nitro rustler one is plastic, apparantly it help braking performance, i just ordered front & rear RPM A-Arms as well (pic them up on thurs) so ill fit all the stuff up on the weekend, cant wait to take it for a spin,i broke a rear axle carrier a couple of weeks ago so i havnt been able to drive it (was waiting on my parts to come from the U.S) so bring on the weekend.....Hopefully i shouldnt really break anything else now, ive already have RPM shock mounts and big bores, so it should be pretty tuff now with the new stuff fitted...

RC Champion
    the brake disc should help with brake fade, like if you use your brakes a lot. the only reduction in braking distance would be changeing the physical grip between the tire and the road.

you might get alittle better feel and some more consistency, but honestly, i dont use my brakes enough to really worry about upgrades. I have had my truck for 3 years and its got the stock brake disc. hahahaha
    Don't worry, its a rental. It can take it...

RC Racer
    i loved when i put bearings in my bellcranks. it made the steering so much smoother and they dont wear out and slop around like the bushings did
    i need a 3.3 for my cf rustler

X2 i just installed bearings the other day as well. Great improvement!
    Learn by doing

RC Racer
    Did you guys use spacers and longer screws, so you can re-bolt it threw the lower chassis, i see there are holes there already....That im planning on doing.

I did not but i have always woundered about that.
    Learn by doing

RC Racer
    no....i didn't really feel like drilling holes in my aftermarket chassis
    i need a 3.3 for my cf rustler

RC Racer
    Well hears an update started fitting up some of the part earlier tonight so heres some pics of rear-end all finished

My parts

You can see the sanding marks on the a-arm,i couldnt fit the e-clips on so i had to sand the arm down slightly

Just gotta do the front-end now,I think ive got every RPM part you can get now......

Looks awsome! Ide clean your rc more though
    Learn by doing

RC Racer
    Yeah your right it does need a good clean, bloody sand hey it gets in everywhere...I really need to get some shock socks too hey...
    Last edited by waggaclint; 08-14-2009 at 04:35 AM.

Most of the time, ide say eh about shock socks. But i see you have buildup on them so go for it lol. It would appear as though your shocks are leaking oil?
    Learn by doing

RC Champion
    I had the same issue with my RPM a-arms. except I knocked em down with a dremel tool. it doesnt look as good, but it took like 5 seconds LOL
    Don't worry, its a rental. It can take it...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by KyLeader7
    Most of the time, ide say eh about shock socks. But i see you have buildup on them so go for it lol. It would appear as though your shocks are leaking oil?
    Yeah ya right there, i need to rebuild them, i think the sand has damaged the seals, Ill replace the seals and then fit the socks, All the bash spots i use have sand everywere or i should say were i live there is sand everywere (i live on the coast)....

RC Racer
    Well finished the front-end yesterday, ran a few tanks threw it this morning and i can say the steering is heaps better with the bearings installed and overall the front-end is alot stiffer with the RPM parts as well, anyway heres some pics...

Front-end all ready to go back in i also found the a-arm/suspension pins to be bent, so i fitted new ones as well..

All fitted back in..

Finished product..

And one more..

Well thats about it, ill do the slipper and brake (still a bit of life left in them) a bit later just enjoying driving the truck again now....

So my list of mods are now as follows
    1.RPM front b-bar
    2.RPM front & rear a-arms
    3.RPM front & rear shock towers
    4.RPM head cover
    5.RPM revolver wheels with geos
    6.TRAXXAS tuned pipe
    7.TRAXXAS ally rear bearing carriers
    8.TRAXXAS ally rear suspension mounts
    9.TRAXXAS slash bore bores with progressive springs
    10.Fail Safe
    11.Bearing mod with TRAXXAS bearing fitted to steering
    12.Extended fuel line with ally filter
    Last edited by waggaclint; 08-16-2009 at 12:53 AM.

RC Racer
    nice work, pretty long fuel line, looks nice
    dumb questions are the ones never asked

Jeez thats one long fuel line! I bet you ca run upside down forever lol. Smart move of the fuel filter too.
    Learn by doing

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by KyLeader7
    Jeez thats one long fuel line! I bet you ca run upside down forever lol. Smart move of the fuel filter too.
    Yep that why i put the long line on & it give me a little bit extra run time as well.....

RC Racer
    Got a couple more hop-ups now some Lunsford Racing Punisher turnbuckles (you can see why i got the turnbuckles in the bottom pic) and some hardened output shafts....pics below

So my list of mods are now as follows
    1.RPM front b-bar
    2.RPM front & rear a-arms
    3.RPM front & rear shock towers
    4.RPM head cover
    5.RPM revolver wheels with geos
    6.TRAXXAS tuned pipe
    7.TRAXXAS ally rear bearing carriers
    8.TRAXXAS ally rear suspension mounts
    9.TRAXXAS slash bore bores with progressive springs
    10.Fail Safe
    11.Bearing mod with TRAXXAS bearing fitted to steering
    12.Extended fuel line with ally filter
    13.LUNSFORD Punisher turnbuckles
    14.TRAXXAS Hardened out-put shafts

I Think i look into getting a new body next....
    Last edited by waggaclint; 09-22-2009 at 12:16 AM.

RC Racer
    Well time for an up-date, this morning i fitted up a new steering servo i put a Waterproof Digital #2075 from a E-Revo in and then swap my original steering one #2055 over to the throttle brake, I must say its heaps better the steering is twice a fast now....

Also if changed my clutch bell over to a 22 Tooth one, when i removed the original clutch bell the bearings fell out in peices hey so ive fitted better bearings as well, im just about to go out and give it a good run and see how much quicker it is with the new clutch bell....

RC Racer
    Well gave it a good run this arvo its alot better top speed wise now but i think ill go back to stock gearing, its a bit slow on the pick-up with the 22clutch bell good for open spaces...I prefer harder accel i reakon...

RC Qualifier
    Cool job Wagg!!

I think that is your top comments, the fuel line, sand and the fuel filter....LOL had me laughing.

Hey how you like the turnbuckles???? Think that is the only difference in our cars.

Finally got mine dialed in a week or two ago. Suspension needs a little tweeking but other than that fun fun. Now I just need to find a good place to run it.

Oh hey, how come you haven't messed with the airfilter??
    This is getting expensive!!!!!!

RC Racer
    The turnbuckles are great if had some big crashes end to end etc at high speed and nothing has broken or bent hey, they are very strong...

As for the airfilter ive been thinking of getting something better mine get pretty dirty, ive change em out every 1/2 hr mostly hey, ive been reading that the motor saver ones are good and also the REVO/SLAYER ones i think ill look into it more that youve mentioned it im wanting more power hey....

Well done done a bit of reading around and ive put a bid on 3.3crank(apparently it will give a power increase,different porting)
    and ill get a better filter as well....

Also been looking at building up a 3.3 from bits of ebay, still trying work out if its any cheaper.....
    Last edited by waggaclint; 11-09-2009 at 05:16 AM.

RC Racer
    Got bored this arvo so i thought id have a play around with my truck, ive been getting sick of oil all over my r/h/r wheel ( as you can see in the pics), so ive modified my exhaust by turning it around...
    Pretty easy to do only bad point is cutting up the body, but my body is knocked around a bit so it doesnt really matter...

And yes my truck does need a clean (been out bashing for the last few hrs)...

Also ive just purchased a TRX 3.3 Crank (ive read it makes the 2.5 go harder) so that will be my next thing to do, and while i was out bashing my ez-start went flat (again) so i just bought a pull-start of ebay as well, so ill see how that goes...

Till next time Cheers Clint...
    Last edited by waggaclint; 11-10-2009 at 04:53 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Clint thats pretty cool I like that!!!! Have you ran it much with the pipe turned around?

Hey have you had any problems with the rear shock springs rubbing the turnbuckels?? Was thinking of sanding the spacer down some but wanna make sure something else is not wrong before I do that.
    This is getting expensive!!!!!!

RC Racer
    Yeah i like it hey, ive only run it once it seems pretty good......

As for shock springs mine are fine hey, I have made up small plastic spacers on the lower mounts for mine, they sit between shock and a-arm....

Ill take a couple of pics tommorrow for ya...

RC Racer
    Well just got a few more goodies in the mail today

1st- Motorsaver filter & spare foams

2nd- Jato Driveshafts (ready for conversuion next time mine break)
    & Monster GT Associated Fuel primer (for when i fit pull start should make it nice and easy to fire up)

3rd-New idler gear for trans (mine broke) Recoil starter & some some spare Rear stub axles

RC Racer
    Are you gonna get some pics up when its all fitted so we can see what it looks like. Have you bent the stub axles thats what happened to mine and the wheels were real wobbley

RC Racer
    Yeah ill put some picks up when its all back together, im still waiting on some Diff locking grease that a bought on BADHORSIE to turn up so i can put the trans back together......I like to keep a spare set of stud axles as they break were the uni-joint contects after a while...

RC Racer
    Can you let me know how that grease goes. Thinking bout trying it out

RC Racer
    Yeah will do, im still waiting for it to turn up in mail hey, its been 3weeks now since i bought it normally any time i buy stuff from the US i get it with 2 weeks hey, its starting too **** me off, i was hopping to have it before the xmas break so i give it a good bash hey...Oh well hopefully i get it tommorow..

RC Racer
    Well finally after a month i have my truck up and running again,
    ive rebuild my trasmission and put badhorsie diff locking grease in also fitted up a pull start and a motorsaver airfilter and just gave it good going over tightened everything and lubed up etc also fitted up some shock socks and a new body...

Well anyway hears some pics of her all ready to go im off this arvo for a good bash..

Im pretty happy with how it looks,now its time for some more power ill either go with a TRX 3.3 or i can get a O.S. 18CV-RX ABC at a good price also...
    Last edited by waggaclint; 01-01-2010 at 12:28 AM.

RC Racer
    Lookin good. What body is that? Did you paint it? It's awesome

RC Racer
    Its a HPI firestorm body i just removed all the HPI stickers and put my own on hey...

RC Racer
    Well took the truck out for spin this arvo and broke a bloody caster block, so ive just bought a set up of Ebay from a Jato...Ill chuck some pics up when i fit em..

RC Racer
    Well got my JATO steering arms etc all fitted up yesterday and they work great.

They have taken all the excessive play out of the steering as well.

They bolt straight on just had to reset toe-in and camber etc, the only extra thing i needed was wheel nuts (got a pack of 16nuts from local hardware store for $3) as the JATO run 4mm nuts witch is good as now all my wheel nuts are 4mm, they seem to be alot stronger than the original rustler ones as well.

So all up it cost me $13.50 nice cheap upgrade i reckon and well worth doing.

RC Enthusiast
    Nice looking truck you got there. I just picked up a pair of Nitro Rustlers last weekend dirt cheap. And will be doing a restore on the pair.I am assuming that the JATO Parts will work on the Stock A arms as well as the RPM A arms?
    It look like you used the Steering block, knuckle and front axle ?

RC Racer
    Yeah they should work on stock a-arms as well, yeah i got the S/Block knuckle and axle etc all as a complete assembly of ebay

RC Enthusiast
    Sounds Good. That is a great idea Does it make the steering more responsive?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast