RC poster

Slipper clutch?trans problems new Rustler

Hello, newbie Nitro Rustler owner from Australia. Under 24 hours old, 5 tanks run in as per DVD, done as recommended. First run after the 5 tank run-in and the engine spools freely with the rear wheels not moving. The slipper clutch has not come lose and the right rear wheel and drive shaft to gear-box will turn by hand freely, without the spur gear turning. A clicking sound will be heard. When the engine is running, it simply wont move and a harsh click sound from somewhere. I am assuming a gearbox problem.
    Second big question,,,, is there a warranty on this sort of issue?
    Many thanks.
    Ben.

RC Racer
    Hey there mate im from AUS as well,im in Perth, anyway back to your problem i think you may be right it sound sound like a possible g-box/diff prob im not sure how you will go warranty have a read of your owners manual or ring the shop were you bought it...Id say pull the g-box out and have a look, If it is broken i usually buy my parts from the U.S alot cheaper although i did get some RPM stuff the other day cheap here, also ebay is good for cheap bit as well....

RC poster
    Cheers clint, good to see an aussie response so quick. Just a bugger that it has stuffed up so quickly. Bought it for the kids, did the run-in myself so she'd be ready to go and they got about 10 minutes. I'm hoping the hobby centre will do right by me.

RC Racer
    Yeah its normally takes a day to get a responce on hear as most of the guys are in the U.S not sure the time difference...What part of AUS are you in....also http://www.ausrc.com/forum/index.php is not to bad to find stuff out...
    Last edited by waggaclint; 08-12-2009 at 05:04 AM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by waggaclint
    Yeah its normally takes a day to get a responce on hear as most of the guys are in the U.S not sure the time difference...What part of AUS are you in....also http://www.ausrc.com/forum/index.php is not to bad to find stuff out...
    Northern NSW, Yamba/hour south of Byron Bay. Thanks for the tips buddy. I'll check out that site and hope for the best. Cheers.

RC Racer
    if the engine is off, and you rotate the rear wheels freely, and you hear a clicking and/or a grinding sound, highly likely the gears inside the diff housing are blown up. just get another set ($6.00 USD; pt# 2382) off buytraxxas.com OR, do what i did and get the proball diff ($60.00 USD; pt# 4420) off buytraxxas.com. also, you might want to try rcplanet.com, cheaper than buying from traxxas or lhs. hope this helps
    dumb questions are the ones never asked

RC Racer
    i think you had the slipper clutch set too tight
    so no i don't think traxxas will warranty this because you are saposed to check it
    i need a 3.3 for my cf rustler

RC poster
    Thanks for the comments guys. The story is, the slipper clutch was set to tight and 2 of the 4 gears in the diff housing were ground down to nothing. Whilst you are supposed to check the slipper, in our operating manual, or the particular one I have anyway, at no stage does it tell you to check before driving. It does tell you how to do so, however doesn't stipulate it as part of the setting up. The shop owners told me this after reading the manual, so i got it fixed for free which was very admirable of the hobby store owners. Lesson learnt I guess for me. It would have been handy if it was stated in a more of a YOU MUST DO THIS BEFORE OPERATING type way.
    Appreciate the replies. Ben.

RC Racer
    Yeah my manual doesnt say anything about checking either,good to hear your lhs fixed for free hey...