Thread: I want more MAH

I want more MAH

I know you can run two packs in parallel to increase run time but I am curious as to the highest mah 2s or 3s lipo you guys have found that will fit in the mini's battery bay?
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    It's the *********(*****) 2200mah 2S... And why aren't you "to" fond of them redemption???
    1/16 Revo
    X-60
    X-6

RC Champion
    2s *****s are sick.
    what was that? what was what..oh that. thats mine.

RC Competitor
    I've got 2x Hyperion G3 CX 2s 1600 mAh & 1x Hyperion G3 CX 3s 1600 mAh, they are great LiPo's and I'd recommend them to anybody! Great C charge & discharge rate.
    1/10 E-Revo
    1/16 E-Revo VXL
    1/18 MMB
    DX3S

RC Qualifier
    /\/\ Ya the Hyperion batts are nice. I have seen alot of guys using those in airplanes and other stuff as well. 5c charge is cool. Price is right too
    Ready..

RC Racer
    I have the 2s 2200 ********* which are nice. I never hit the lvc i always stop driving once performance drops. By then i am putting in about 2000-2100 in my ********* using a hyperion charger.

RC Champion
    I built a NeuEnergy 30C 2500 2s and was able to put it in my mini E-Revo VXL. I needed to trim the battery door a tad for the wires. Works like a champ.
    Save 10% of the money you make..... you'll never regret it.

RC Enthusiast
    Just a fair warning, you should not go beyond 80% on a normal lipo packs, so if your putting in more than 1760mAh into your pack odds are your gonna ruin it pretty fast.

Dad, im sure you've seen these, but here are SMC 2200 28C 2S. May be costly in comparison to *****s, but its another option.

http://www.spcracing.com/index.php?productID=93

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by redemption
    This all depends on the packs MAH quality rating. 80% of your 2200 ********* packs is 1760, so your right.

BUT, some quality packs exceed there MAH rating still cutting off at 3.6 which in my book is perfect. All of my Outrage, T/P and T R/C packs exceed there MAH rating.
    OK guys, LiPo 101....
    Out of all i've read about LiPo's, I've never heard of that. Please elaborate. Where would I find the quality rating of a LiPo pack?
    http://tinyurl.com/RokeyLounges-MERV

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by POD87
    I have the 2s 2200 ********* which are nice. I never hit the lvc i always stop driving once performance drops. By then i am putting in about 2000-2100 in my ********* using a hyperion charger.
    Because of personal preference. Plus a neighbor of mine runs those. When he hits the LVC @ 3.6 he's only putting 1900 MAH into it while im putting 2150 into mine at the same cutoff.
    So your LVC cuts of and your putting in 2150, and POD87 puts in 2000-2100 without even getting the LVC, hmmm.
    Last edited by Felborn; 08-15-2009 at 09:29 AM.

RC Racer
    ******* also has a 2S 7.4 volt 2200mah that is supposed to fit the mini revo, anyone tried them? The price is comparable to the *****. So not sure on the quality. But for me, if I can buy four for the price of one, then fine by me if they dont last quite as many cycles....

RC Champion
    While I haven't specifically heard of a "mAh quality rating", it is true that some brands have more usable mAh because they're rated more conservatively.

You can have two 2200mAh batteries from two companies. You might be able to squeeze 2200mAh out of PackA, dropping the voltage to 3.0v/cell. You might also be able to safely use 2200mAh of pack B, keeping the voltage at a safer 3.2v/cell. They're both technically 2200mAh packs, but one is stretching it to call it that, while the other is more comfortable.

It is best practice to only use 80% of your capacity. Your overall pack lifespan will increase, and you won't have to worry as much about dropping under 3.0v/cell under load toward the end of a run. It's only a few minutes per run lost, and it will buy you a longer lifespan before having to replace it.

Does anybody have a link to a good LiPo 101 page? I want to start getting into LiPos, but want to do it right and be safe about it.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper
    Does anybody have a link to a good LiPo 101 page? I want to start getting into LiPos, but want to do it right and be safe about it.
    Heres some Lipo 101

http://www.maxamps.com/lipo-care.php
    http://www.fmadirect.com/support_docs/item_1197.pdf

And last but not least

http://www.liposuction101.com/

RC Champion
    Just ignore the part about "Surge Watts" on the MaxAmps page. It is always best to go with continuous C rating as long as the lipo manufacturer's C rating is accurate. Give yourself a 25% buffer for long life and worry free driving.

That's why all of the really good lipo manufacturers post the graphs of their packs being tested at their C rating and the others keep them hidden from consumers.

The rest of that page is pretty consistent though.

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah, my LVC cuts off at 3.6 after putting in 2150 MAH on a 2100 MAH rated quality pack.
    Thats the same numbers that POD87 reports for the ********* packs. I hope you mean 7.2v btw, cause if it's 3.6v both of your cells gonna be on 1.8v...
    Whats the voltage of your pack meassured with a voltmeter after use?

RC Champion
    Yeah, my LVC cuts off at 3.6 after putting in 2150 MAH on a 2100 MAH rated quality pack.
    Is your LVC set at 3.6v/cell or are you reading that voltage with a multimeter after the voltage has recovered?

RC Qualifier
    I get around 1470-1510 in my Rhino 1550mah 2S's, that's on a 2C charge. Anyone know if they can actually take 2C? Because Hobby King says 2C but I noticed the back of the batt says 1C, but they've been done at 2C at least a dozen times each and have no problems.
    1/16 Revo
    X-60
    X-6

RC Champion
    Kong lipos are the only ones I know of that can be run down to near nothing. Unless you have a direct statement from a vendor that tells you that putting back more than 85% of a listed capacity is OK .... You are going to get a very short life out of your lipos!

The information about using 85% of a listed capacity given in the above threads is TRUE and well documented. You can not treat a lipo like a NiMH.

Time to list this again:
    4.20v = 100%
    4.03v = 76%
    3.86v = 52%
    3.83v = 42%
    3.79v = 30%
    3.70v = 11%
    3.6?v = 0%

Capacity below 3.7v "resting" is not usable. Resting voltage is at least 30 minutes after running and for the above was 12 hours after use.
    Lipo Storage voltage is 3.85 volts or approximatly 50% (Storage = Not being used within 4 to 6 weeks) LIPOs do not like to be stored at full voltage for long periods .... but many get away with it just fine.

RC Enthusiast
    Thats pluging the balance tap into either one of my hyperions. Recovered voltage im sure will be higher (obviously) but I have never checked these little packs but now I will start to.
    This just dont add up, if your cutoff voltage is 3.6v/cell, the voltage measured when the pack aint under load should be significant higher, even if recoverytime is close to zero. Anyways, feedback seems equall from your quality 40-60$ packs as those of the 12$ *********. Would be great if other people would add experience with a few packs as we currently only have 2 peoples numbers on these packs. My ********* packs are still a few days away, so it's gonne be a while before im able to compare those to what others are experiencing.

RC Enthusiast
    First of all, when I say "my cutoff voltage" it's not what I personally programmed. I don't use an external smart stop.. It's what the ESC cuts off at according to my hyperion chargers. From my experience thats about right with the Traxxas ESC's LVC, although some have been premature.

Secondly, what part about what I said dosen't add up for you?
    Im sorry, but it can be abit hard to follow you when you invent new words like mAh quality raiting. I also find it odd that the quality seal you place on your packs are pretty identical to the numbers other users reports on ********* packs, while you quote a much lower capacity from your neighbor pack.

Do yourself a favor, before you get all bent out of shape defending a pack that you don't even own yet and are trying to justify it's price, do some more reading and not posting about ground R/C unless you have a question as you have clearly stated multiple times you are a noob to it.

Good day.
    I own 4 4S 2200mAh packs that I use all the time on my Tre450 Pro, as well as numerous other ********* packs for the 500 and 600, so I got very good experience with this packs during much more demanding scenarios. That combined with Eagletree logger and CBA Batterytester gives me a pretty good fundation to check different packs and see how they actually performes. My experience is that ********* delivers equall or even better performance than many other packs prices 2 to 3 times higher. I dont know how they perform alongside packs as the new Hyperion generation, or the new Flightpower packs, as I stopped buying anything but ***** since last summer. I will give those a good test if they still get good feedback after your average joe has 100+ cycles on them. It's like Outrage packs, they where all the hype last year, but feedback now are pretty average. Atleast from where I spend most of my time discussing this, which is Helifreak.com

Thanks!

Thank you too, kulangflow!

RC Enthusiast
    Have you thought about the new "LIFE BATTERIES", Maxamp explained to me that they are like a hybrid, simply put a cross betweena Lipo and a Ni-Mh, you can only fit a 2-6.6-2250mah life batteries in your mini e-revo, these batteries charge up to 7.2volts (a lipo 7.4v charges up to 8.4volts) and run them in parellel which would give you basically 6.6 (7.2)-4500mah and a long run time, you may be able to run these in series which would give you either 1`3.2/14.8volts with 2250mah runtime. The beauty of it is unlike lipo's you can run these batteries all the down to zero volts (no LVC needed) and they are supposed to last up to 1000 cycles (Drained-recharged), and you don't have to worry about fires, batteries blowing up or anything else that Lipo's would cause. I am thinkin about getting a set for my mioni e-revo. The downside vs Lipo';s is not as much runtime and a little less voltage, but I think in the long run they would work out just great. Here's the link just in case you haven't seen them: http://www.maxamps.com/Life-2250-66-Pack.htm
    Last edited by TEKIN RX8; 08-17-2009 at 12:44 PM.

I try to avoid anything with the MaxAmps name on it. They are just too over priced in my opinion.

My little Reedy pack really seems to have woken up nicely. First cycle only gave me about 12 min of run time but now I am getting 25+ min out of it. I really dont think I want the 3s now but have my eye on the SMC 2s that SPC carries.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    I have that new cmax but it had a factory defect and wire became frayed and sent it in. sadly it couldnt be fixed so I got a new pack thats a 2s and 50C!!!!!! 5200 mah
    if you want me to i can break your truck for free!

RC Qualifier
    yeah pops, the best i have found is the 2200mah *********, gives you 4400mah (about 30 mins runtime in my experience), they have performed quite well for me. and 2s is plenty in these little trucks. (as with the rusty)

RC Qualifier
    Wow, those "LiFe" things are a complete rip off(like any Maxaprice product), 7.2v and 2250mah is $60+. A ********* 2200 is $12.79 and has a better voltage, that 7.2v at full charge will be so underpowering in anything, that's when your Lipos or Nimh's feel dead.
    1/16 Revo
    X-60
    X-6