Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spur Gears

RC poster

Spur Gears

Anyone have any idea why I keep chewing through Spur gears? I've had the Slash for about a week now and have went though three of them. Obviously its motor alignment, but I did the paper trick for alignment and even went to the local shop and had them set it. Still eating them up.....Any ideas. My buddy has a back yard track and their is lots of sand at one end, resulting in lots of spinning. Not sure if this has something to do with it or not. Ani ideas? Thanks guys. P.S. All stock

RC Enthusiast
    how is the spur being damaged? does it get chewed up right after you land a jump? if so loosen your slipper a touch. is the pinion in good shape? if it has bent/rounded teeth then replace it as well as the spur... incorrect mesh causes rounding/bending on BOTH the pinion and spur. Does the spur wobble a bunch? a bent top shaft will ruin spurs...

Just breaking loose the tires will not eat a spur...if it did I'd be repalacing spurs every few minutes

RC poster
    Its just chewing the teeth off the spur. Pinion looks good, no wobble to the spur. I'll try the slipper approach. Appreciate the help.

RC Competitor
    happened to me aswell, you have to be really careful because small stones can get in the teeth of the spur and since its nylon it strips those teeth, not the pinion.
    When you lose radio control at top speed, RUN!

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I swear, some of these spurs are junk to start with.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    i stripped my first spur on my slash which is brushless. What I am seeing that is happening is that dirt is getting into the cover and getting stuck in the spur gear. This alone does not cause the spur to strip. What happens is over time the dirt that has gotten in the spur is actually chewing up the pinion gear. If you look at your pinion really close it looks as if its being grinded down. The pinion ends up getting really sharp and burred up badly due to the dirt. Eventually the spur will fail. Replace the Pinion and the spur at the same time.
    2008 Revo Platinum Edition.

RC Champion
    http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/product...ires/80525.htm if you are aligning it right this should fix your problems. It sealed by the driveshaft so nothing small can get in and eat your teeth. Some hobby shops carry it other wise I ordered mine online for 7 bucks shipped and haven't lost a spur in over a month and I run on gravel and loose dirt a lot.

Well there is 3 causes to strip a spur that I can think of right off the bat.

1) Staying in the throttle too much while landing from a jump with a tight slipper setting.
    2) Incorrect Gear Mesh.
    3) Stock style motor screws loosening up allowing motor to move.

If the culprit is the motor screws. I'd suggest getting the Lunsford Fatboys Long motor screws. Yes $8 for motor screws my be crazy but once you use them you'll never use another type of motor screw again.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RByers8252
    http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/product...ires/80525.htm if you are aligning it right this should fix your problems. It sealed by the driveshaft so nothing small can get in and eat your teeth. Some hobby shops carry it other wise I ordered mine online for 7 bucks shipped and haven't lost a spur in over a month and I run on gravel and loose dirt a lot.
    not all of it though. The titan has a built in fan which acts a vaccum and sucks in alot of dirt to the gears.

RC Champion
    how many turns out is the slipper nut? do you do the two-foot slip range like the manual says to set it up?
    RC enthusiast!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by rustlerbasher
    how many turns out is the slipper nut? do you do the two-foot slip range like the manual says to set it up?
    I snug tighten with the supplied wrench, then 1/2 turn back off. I did chew up a spur, but a pebble got in. Another tip is get a Losi pinion, 48 t pitch. It will make your slash whisper quiet. Just my .02
    Jammin' Nitro Truggy 1/8
    Slash 1/10
    Slash 1/16

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanman11
    I snug tighten with the supplied wrench, then 1/2 turn back off. I did chew up a spur, but a pebble got in. Another tip is get a Losi pinion, 48 t pitch. It will make your slash whisper quiet. Just my .02
    ya not to mention the losi pinions are made from a higher grade steel and are much better than the stock traxxas aluminum ones. I usually loosen mine about 1 turn off. It's been working well so far.

RC Champion
    get 32p.................32p is a lot better than 48p (stock) cuz the teeth are way bigger so is dose not strip as easily but you can not run with a gear cover
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 1slash
    get 32p.................32p is a lot better than 48p (stock) cuz the teeth are way bigger so is dose not strip as easily but you can not run with a gear cover
    I don't agree with a 32 p being a lot better. Bigger teeth = sloppy teeth. Also if you take the time to set up everything correctly, you shouldn't (not won't) but shouldn't strip gears. The occasional pebble, or sand will still get in there and cause damage, but set up is key.
    Jammin' Nitro Truggy 1/8
    Slash 1/10
    Slash 1/16

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanman11
    I don't agree with a 32 p being a lot better. Bigger teeth = sloppy teeth. Also if you take the time to set up everything correctly, you shouldn't (not won't) but shouldn't strip gears. The occasional pebble, or sand will still get in there and cause damage, but set up is key.
    i know that, but people that have problems like this switch to 32p and then no problems ... but you say what you want to say
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Racer
    I have ran 32p on 3s with no gear cover for nearly a month. The spur and pinion look brand new. I dont care what anybody says, the Traxxas spur gear has a serious design flaw. Most every other spur gear in the world is flat. Why Traxxas decided to go with the bell shaped spur is a mystery. I have bought numorous stock gears and set them on the table only to see that the thing was seriously warped.

I have like 5 buddies that all run stock gearing on Slashes, and 100% of the time at least one of them strip their spurs during the bash session.

I will never run 48p again on my Slash, setup means nothing when half the time the product is the problem.

this is just my opinion after numerous attempts at try to dial in 3s with stock gearing.
    lol...I am at 20%

RC Racer
    You might also check the motor bearing and be sure the shaft is not moving or have any slop to it. I have seen a few 550 motors loose the bearings and then with the slight movement chew up the spur gears. Just make sure the shaft does not have any play in it.

32P is stronger than 48P gears. But like said if 48P is setup correctly you shouldn't have a problem with them. I know I've never had any problems with 48P.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by CarGuy7a
    32P is stronger than 48P gears. But like said if 48P is setup correctly you shouldn't have a problem with them. I know I've never had any problems with 48P.
    me, i don't wast my time with 48p now cuz its just so fiddly
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Champion
    For starters to hacknslash. We are talking about the Titan motor. We are talking about the spur gear and pinion getting destroyed. The motor isn't magically sucking in pebbles and spitting them through the watertight shaft housing :-p and second for Slashnewb they may be right about your motor screws. If they are not tight enough your motor can budge and walah you have lost a spur gear also if you have made them too tigh in the past you may have stripped your motor holes and need bigger screws or a new motor. If you are positive your motor is mounted tight than the RPM gear cover should solve all of your problems. Also just something you should know already after every few runs (etc 5 or so) you want to check your motor to make sure it hasn't came loose sinse when bashing it will happen from time to time. Don't waste your time on a different pitch.

RC Champion
    For starters to hacknslash. We are talking about the Titan motor. We are talking about the spur gear and pinion getting destroyed. The motor isn't magically sucking in pebbles and spitting them through the watertight shaft housing :-p and second for Slashnewb they may be right about your motor screws. If they are not tight enough your motor can budge and walah you have lost a spur gear also if you have made them too tigh in the past you may have stripped your motor holes and need bigger screws or a new motor. If you are positive your motor is mounted tight than the RPM gear cover should solve all of your problems. Also just something you should know already after every few runs (etc 5 or so) you want to check your motor to make sure it hasn't came loose sinse when bashing it will happen from time to time. Don't waste your time on a different pitch.
    i fined the rpm gear cover dose not do a ton
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Racer
    .... Don't waste your time on a different pitch.
    how is it wasting time if it works? I have yet to eat thru a 32p gear..with 48p I would have to change my gear after about 2-3 bash sessions...now I have been bashing 3s on 32p with the same spur for over a month..no problems...so who is wasting time? not me, thats for sure.

its a well known FACT that it works, and works well-it is almost the exact same ratio and if your concerned about gear covers, well there is a way around that as well...dont try to deter somebody from trying something different unless you give them a good reason not too.
    lol...I am at 20%

RC Competitor
    Make sure the motor adjuster screws( the one you adjust for the pinion) are super tight. I had the same problem and now i have them tight it is less of a problem.

RC Qualifier
    Lancaster California , Sand dunes next to the rattlesnake that almost bit me
    I have not stripped a spur gear or pinion gear since switching to the 32 pitch setup. I agree that 48 pitch works well with the titan motor but when you go brushless the 48 pitch is not designed for that kind of power.The teeth are just to weak(small) the 32 pitch is perfect for the vxl brushless setup. The downside is -yeh you wont be able to use a gear cover anymore unless you put washers under it and tape around it to keep the dirt out. Mine is not covered and I have not had a problem with it for over a month now. RPM needs to design a gear cover that will fit over the 32 pitch gearing setup. It will solve alot of problems.........Just my 2cents.........Legend
    Me or the Rattlesnakes, One of us has to go !!!

RC Champion
    do any of you guy know that when you run a gear cover (stock or RPM) dirt gets in side NO MATTER WHAT! then while the dirt/sand sits in your gear cover and bounces around it has a blender affect on both spurs and pinions
    (^ that works for both 48p and 32p gears with a cover,BL w/lipo,and brushed)
    Last edited by Krazy-SLASH#1; 08-18-2009 at 10:08 AM.

RC Qualifier
    So honestly it may be better to run without a cover no matter what pitch spur and pinion you run.
    2008 Revo Platinum Edition.

RC Champion
    and running with out a cover will be like trying to throw sand in a fan thats blowing at you.

and it bounces off

RC Racer
    when I ran with a cover I coated the inside of it with black gear grease, whenever dirt got inside the cover it would just stick to the grease.

I would have to change this out after every 1-2 sessions, but if you do regular maintenance like your supposed to its no biggie.
    lol...I am at 20%

RC Racer
    Another suggestion would be to check how much play is in the top shaft that the slipper assembly bolts up to. I went through seven spur gears in a matter of a month, I tried everything, loosening the slipper, adjusting the mesh every way possible, and new pinions, the alignment was dead on. Finally I took the slipper apart and found out there was a ton of slop in the top gear/shaft, the bearing had gone bad. I replaced the bearing, and have not had a problem since.
    Last edited by Blone; 08-18-2009 at 02:47 PM.
    Jammin SCRT10 4x4
    1/16 VXL Slash
    Revo 3.3
    SC10

RC Champion
    32p FTW!! It even sounds nasty.
    RustyVXL, HPI RS4 Rally, RC18MT
    Mobius1 crashed!

RC Qualifier
    32p makes you wonder why 48p setup even being used by traxxas, seriously, you just won't need another spur change until it is completely worn out
    5805,17/58,REM,VXL,1/8

RC Racer
    ya it is weird...alot of people have problems with stripping gears...in fact a guy I bashed with today went thru 2 48p spurs. Brushless/lipos is too much for 48p.

I keep telling em to switch pitches, I have been running 32 pitch for about a month with no gear cover and my spur/pinion look brand new.

I dont know why people have a hard time accepting that his mod works, and works very well. Like I said before..I will never run 48p again in my slash..now if RPM can get on the boat and make a working gear cover than that will just be the icing on the cake.
    lol...I am at 20%

RC Qualifier
    tell me about it, when I had the 48p i had to use my knife to pick the sand and stones that got trapped between the teeth every f'ing 10 minutes, rather stock cover, rpm cover, or no cover, stripped 3 spurs in 3 days regardless the perfect mesh that I did. After switching to 32p, ZERO maintenance for 300+ packs and counting, on the same spur. WHY 48p??? I got to agree with Stamjato though, I don't see the point of having a cover with the 32p. I run my Maxx without a gear cover since day one with zero problem also
    Last edited by LowTEC; 08-18-2009 at 11:56 PM.
    5805,17/58,REM,VXL,1/8

RC Racer
    ya I agree, you dont need a gear cover.....but most tracks require one for marshal safety. I am not a fan of rigging things with washers and stuff, so a proper fitting gear cover would be nice when needed.
    lol...I am at 20%

RC Champion
    if you set your mesh right and the motors tight you should not be striping spurs

RC Champion
    is this how you put on the 32p gears. ignore the arrows. i had to put the pinion on back wards cuz it would not go on the other way cuz the shaft was not long enough i know i have the spur on the right way i just don't know about the pinon
    Last edited by 1slash; 08-19-2009 at 06:56 PM.
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Racer
    that is correct man, backwards pinion is the proper way to do it...have fun!
    lol...I am at 20%

RC Champion
    ok thanks so much dude!!
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Champion
    I'm not saying 32p is a waste of time (exactly atleast) but for some of us we already have 20 bucks or so invested in pinions alone. I've ran the same spur gear 48p almost 2 months now. No I'm not brushless but my brother is and has just as much luck. If you put the gears on and tighten the motor right your good to go. Also even after bashing from mud to gravel for an hour straight my gear case was almost bone dry and had no rocks or pebbles in it. Nothing special done to it.
    Last edited by RByers8252; 08-19-2009 at 09:24 PM.
    Slash VXL
    Summit VXL
    they have to share for now

RC Champion
    I havent striped a 48p spur gear in a long time now, and Im going high 30s, in mph lol and I use no motor cover whatsoever!!!
    if you want me to i can break your truck for free!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast