RC Racer

Any Regrets Getting Mini E-REVO ?

I got a couple of xmods not too long ago for christmas and has been hooked on r/c for life. Then in 2003 the LOSI Micro-T came out and I got that as a gift and thought that it was a step-up in my hobby. Now I am a little older and have my own job and got the traxxas mini E-Revo.

It is my first "real" r/c and you could imagine how excited I was. However, with my history in smaller scale r/c's I know all too well how prone they are for imperfections and problems due to the manufacturing of these tiny parts.
    The smaller an object is the more difficult it is to achieve the quality and precision aspect of manufacturing it unless the manufacturer spends a fortune to perfect it.

After getting the MERV I have taken it apart a couple of times and just rebuild my shocks today. I noticed that there were imperfections everywhere and was gravely disappointed. I wish that I had saved up a little more and gotten the full scale version of the revo. Don't get me wrong because I'm not saying that the bigger scale stuff are impervious to flaws, but they are less likely IMHO.

So with your experience in larger scale r/c's or the hobby in general, how is the quality of the MERV compared to the larger scale vehicles. Was it worth it for you to get the MERV? This is not a rant but more of a concern that can help others to consider their next investment in this hobby. Thanks for reading.

RC Racer
    I have a revo 3.3 i loved it! you can do anything with that. i blew out so many hpi street cars wiht big motors and as well as tmaxx's and other trucks, but unofruantly i have to sell it cause of this bad economy. IF your interested let me know i will send you some pictures it has a BRAND NEW MOTOR never run with new servos and whole bunch of new stuff so let me know.

RC Qualifier
    I've had R/C's for over 20 years and I love this little Revo. It has it's quirks, but overall its awesome. No regrets
    -O|||||||O-

RC Qualifier
    I happen to love my Mini Revo VXL, I have posted this before, I love it so much I just bought a week ago a 1/16 Slash VXL. I believe all cars have imperfections and that is why upgrades are out there. I have beaten both cars to death and they just keep on coming.

RC Qualifier
    only regret is that I can't afford to buy more at the moment. I can't remember who had the idea first but I did it and havent had shock issues since, in regards to leaking that is, is to get heatshrink tubing and heatshrink the bottom cap to the shock body. eliminated the repeated issues i had with the shocks leaking constantly. ( once someone comes out with shocks that have the bottoms threaded to screw onto the shock body i will be buying a few sets as will most people ). My friend has both and they are both a blast. Give it some time and it will grow on you, hopefully.

justin

RC Racer
    I concur. I love the MERV, nitro for me never worked enough to make me happy.
    Any MERV issues I have had were due to my mistakes...
    This thing with a pair of 2s LiPo @2200mah will run a Long time.
    Its awesome.
    T

RC Qualifier
    I had a full sacle E-REVO and sold it for a merv, the entire revo family are tanks and great trucks but I enjoy the mini more.They're tough,have easy to repace parts and are crazy fast.
    ERBE

RC Qualifier
    I agree with everyone else. I own a 1/10 Slash and a E-Revo and the Mini is out of this world. Sure it has its issues, but so do the larger size ones too. That is all part of the hobby.When making something this small all the tiny imperfections are magnified, and if you get a larger one, the imperfections are htere too, they are just not a s noticable because of thier size. I was constantly blowing shocks out on my Slash until I bought new aftermarket ones. Plastic threaded caps are not very strong, so you can't blame the size for that issue. As far as other parts, I have bought prts that were warped or misshapen for my larger ones, so if you are wanting a larger one don't think that they are going to be perfect, they are far from it. That is why we all have boxes full of spare parts.
    "Obedience alone gives the right to command."

RC Competitor
    i love my merv. ii dont think it has any imperfections at all. i happen to think that this was one of the best cars ever made... no regrets at all

RC Competitor
    We have about 15 problems listed here:
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?t=488179

Some have cheap solutions, some expensive, some have none. I think it is a great car but it was rushed to market and has a lot of flaws.

I have fun with it in the backyard. But at the track, it's kind of a mess. It just cartwheels like nobody's business. I can spend another $200 tweaking it, but at the end of the day, the short wheelbase will always be its downfall.

fc

RC Qualifier
    Other than dropping major $$$ on it and the never ending experiments/upgrades, no regrets. One of the best mini's I've ever owned.
    MBX6T CC 1520
    CF Sav Flux CC 1520
    MERV Neu 1112

Quote Originally Posted by LiqrSicc
    Other than dropping major $$$ on it and the never ending experiments/upgrades, no regrets. One of the best mini's I've ever owned.
    I agree 100 %, at least one of the most usefully mini-cars ever...Blow away on a big 1/8 track or just play at the local gravelhole .
    TpParts RcXtreme | Xray XT8e 2019 | MAXX 4s

RC Qualifier
    Best RC I have ever had(so far). Only regret is that my LHS doesnt keep parts in stock long enough for me and I keep breaking them.
    [_,[UGA],
    l---L OlllllllO-
    (0)_) (0)_)---)_)

RC Competitor
    For a mini, it's one of the best I've seen (or driven). I've raced against some 1/10 Rustlers, Losi Eight (I think it was Eight?) and held my own.. And my cars a mini, I think that says somethings.. Sure we're got 4wd though. It's not perfect on the track, but that's alright it's still amazingly fun.

RC Racer
    Great little trucks. Are they problematic i dont think so. Only a handful have had major problems and i am sure traxxas has helped those people out. Also these are tanks compared to any other mini on the market. I had a mini lst and that would break just from staring at it.

RC Champion
    Not got a Mini Revo, but I do have the 3.3, and as far as minis go, I have a Losi Mini-LST2 and an Xray M18MT.

Firstly, my full blown Revo 3.3 - excellent truck, two years of ownership and only a cracked bumper needing replacement, despite some really bad tumbles. However, being nitro, it is no good for a quick 15 minute blast on my lunch break, so I bought...

Team Losi Mini-LST2 - and this was a regret! The problem was that the engineering was dominated by a marketing specification. Whilst the 2.4 GHz radio, dual motors, dual servos, centre diff etc... all looks good on paper, the reality is that at 130, it doesn't leave much of the development budget to ensure a quality product. It ended up proving more hassle and more expense than running the nitro truck.

Next up was the Xray M18MT - now this I do not regret. Just taking a look at the quality of the manuals, you realise that this was engineered by an engineer (in fact by Jaraj Hudy, of Hudy Tools fame). At 167, it looks rubbish on paper compared to the M-LST2. Simple 27 MHz radio, one motor, plastic chassis, plastic outdrives etc... However, this was a 1/18th truck designed to be a 1/18th truck, and not a scaled-down version of a successful 1/10th truck. Such features as the single-piece outdrives rather than fiddly little hex hubs and tiny crosspins reveal that thought that has gone into the smaller design. And, being that it is not lavished in aluminium, when it hits something, the parts flex rather than break, and the fact that it weighs so little means there is less kinetic energy to cause damage in the first place.

Now we come to the Traxxas Mini-Revo. This has been designed as a scaled-down 1/10th truck, which worries me considering the past experience with Losi. However, this costs significantly more, so the money is there to make a quality product. And Traxxas will look after their customers, so I reckon it will be a good investment. However, I will hold back from purchasing one just yet, and monitor this forum to see how it turns out.

The clincher may be Traxxas part support - always there when you need it, unlike most other manufacturers.
    Revo 3.3 mk1, Xray M18MT, LRP Shark MT

RC Qualifier
    i have had many RC (savage X SS, e-savage, micro-t, blackfoot, slash, etc) and the mini e-revo is the funnest of all, it is a fantastic truck!
    GARAGE
    e-revo, ME-revo, micro-t, slash, DX3S

RC Champion
    My only regret is I didnt buy 2 cause now my son always wants to drive mine !

Best mini on the market right now bar none IMO .
    At WARN 80% and climbing !

RC poster
    Love the MERV. Indestructible; I can’t believe the abuse this mini truck can take. Hands down best in it's class on the market right now. No regrets.

RC Competitor
    I've been into RC for almost 20 yrs now. I started out with an Electric Tamiya Frog that my dad got me on my 10th bday. I got out of it for awhile then back in around 1995. Got back in doing Nitro only. I hated the idea of having to wait for batteries to charge and back then Batt Chargers were either way expensive or just didnt do what they can do today nor were the batteries what they are today. Well 2 yrs ago I got the Hpi Baja for Xmas for myself. I was hooked, my Nitros all got sold. Gas was it for me!

Then about 3 weeks ago I had the opportunity to pick up an 1/16 E Revo or Slash. I went with the E Revo. It came with 2 stock NIMH packs and the Y connector. I put my FHSS 2.4 system in it and went to town! This little thing is amazing. I owned XMods, Losi Mini T, Micro T etc and those just didn't do it for me. I have NO REGRETS in getting the E Revo if I could afford to get another I would grab either another E Revo or get the Slash. I saw the Slash in action with 2 stock packs at the lhs and I was not impressed that thing was on its lid the entire time almost.. I am sure it needed some tweaks and mods as it was bone stock but still I was not happy with its control characteristics.. I also had the 1/10 Slash but sold it about 4 months ago to fund my 1/5 addiction..

Anyhow with that said I will be in this Mini Class for awhile. The technology has just exploded what we can get these little cars to do with a NIMH or a Lipo just blows me away. If I had the coin I would convert one of my Baja's over to Brushless
    Chris

My rides- Slash 4x4, 1/16 MERV

RC Competitor
    No regrets at all. My only gripe is the overheating but that is overcome-able several different ways.

If I could afford to I would buy a second one.

I got my merv about a month ago,brought it to the track and was very impressed with it,cleared the triples,even my son beat the snot out of it and still kept comin back for more,after 3 trips to track-nothin broke,even hittin the wall @ full speed-its just laughed and away it went,gona buy a slash next,and another merv,just so I can drive one,if my boys will let me-LOL,awsome little bugger,traxxas rocks

RC poster

Love my MERV

Got my MERV 3 weeks ago. So far no major problems. I do notice the leak in the shocks but it's not the end of the world. It's amazingly fun to drive. The training mode is great for when my daughters want to run it (it's still way fast). Overall, love this little mini. Like most others on this thread, I'd buy another if I could!

RC Enthusiast
    no regrets.
    i was completely problem FREE until i got 3s lipo. But with the stock package, its a FANTASTIC durable car.

of course ever since i got lipos, i starting having more and more issues..

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by iqbbang View Post
    no regrets.
    i was completely problem FREE until i got 3s lipo. But with the stock package, its a FANTASTIC durable car.

of course ever since i got lipos, i starting having more and more issues..
    yep, that is always the case....with more power you will have further issues come up, its just like in a 1:1 car if you race it.

more power = breakage, then upgrade.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The only regret I had is when sold it, and had to buy another.

RC Racer
    my only regrets are not having any lipos for my merv at the moment. it's sitting there batteryless and hasn't moved in almost 2 months now. i keep hovering over ******* batteries, but then backing out - i simply don't believe they'll last remotely long.
    Formerly known as "Wiggy Fuzz".

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by well spoken waffles View Post
    my only regrets are not having any lipos for my merv at the moment. it's sitting there batteryless and hasn't moved in almost 2 months now. i keep hovering over ******* batteries, but then backing out - i simply don't believe they'll last remotely long.
    if your like me you'll end up getting them in the end so get it sooner so you can have fun now! BTW......got mine about a month ago and my regret is not getting one sooner. I just got my full size revo as well

RC Enthusiast
    Nope, none at all. I have bought ALL of the 1/16th models except the Summit.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucksolo69 View Post
    Nope, none at all. I have bought ALL of the 1/16th models except the Summit.
    which is your fav and why?