RC poster

Slash stock esc question

I'm thinking of picking up a couple of the slash trucks one me and one for my son. I was wondering if the stock esc will handle lipo's? if so is ther any thing else you need to be able to run lipos?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    it can handle lipos, it will be safer if you have a LVA though.
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Competitor
    and and a temp gun should also be used. make sure that your motor/esc is not overheating.
    When you lose radio control at top speed, RUN!

RC Qualifier
    The XL5 will handle a 2s LiPo but make sure you have an aftermarket Low Voltage Cutoff (so you don't ruin your battery)and a Temp Gun handy so you don't boil your ESC or Motor.
    Paddle Tires Make Everything Better

RC poster
    what speeds can you expect with all stock slash, runnin a 2s lipo? Curious, cause I don't have the $$$ for a bl system as of yet.

thanks....

RC poster
    Works great with lipos but don't waste your money on a LVC. They do not work with the stock speed control. The best you can do is a low voltage alarm. They will work or just stop driving immediately when the car slows down and the lipo will be ok.

RC Qualifier
    yeah there isnt a LVC as far as i know thats easy to use with the stock xl-5.. i use a small low voltage alarm.. I dont rely on it mind you, but its a good "safety net" if im not paying attention to the car, or if im taking my dog for a walk and driving slow in the first place and not notice the power drop.

dont use anything above a 2S lipo if you go that way.. unless you like melting your ESC...

As for speeds.. i find it exactly the same as running a 7 cell 8.4 volt battery.. i keep up just fine to all my NMiH using friends and didnt notice really any difference when i switched over a few weekends ago

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by only oval
    Works great with lipos but don't waste your money on a LVC. They do not work with the stock speed control. The best you can do is a low voltage alarm. They will work or just stop driving immediately when the car slows down and the lipo will be ok.
    I couldn't agree more, we don't run alarms but once you feel performace drop stop. My ten year old son can tell once his truck dros off and he stops. I was the first one to over heat a lipo thank god it was the oldest one.

RC Champion
    My slash with a seven cell battery and stock gearing runs about 25mph... tonight a friend let me try his SMC 2s lipo, and I actually noticed a slight speed increase, partially because of the power-weight ratio. My guess, 26-27mph.
    RC enthusiast!

RC Enthusiast
    Yep, my Slash with the stock ESC and a 2s LiPo ran around 30. Stock gearing, etc... It never ran hot, and the LiPo drops off so fast at the end of it's run, it's like a 50% reduction in speed. Just messing around in the front yard, I got about 25 minutes on my 7.2 / 5400 battery. As soon as mine slowed, I just stopped and recharged it. They're nice because they don't get hot when running or charging.
    (2) 2WD (1) 4WD Slashes ** Velineon ** Upgrades