RC Champion

Getting a Slash. A few questions.

Well guys I think I finalyl found a reason to get out of the Maxx section. I origionally sold off my fuelie boat to get a Summit but have decided on a Slash instead. Reasoning: My brother-in-law is getting into RC. Wtih staying on a budget we decided on the Stampede but it doesn't take my 7 cell flat packs. Slash it is.

So he is getting a Slash, adding bigger tires (pede stockers, masher 2000s or moabs ect...)and a MT truck body for wheel clearance. I am going to get one as well and am set on the Proline Baja body and HPI Geolanders on RPM black revolvers rims.

After a little research about F/R offsets and running 2.2s on the Slash I am just going to get a full set of fronts and rears black revolver rims and test fit to see how I like them. I may run the same offset or fronts on front and rears on the rear. I can always use the other set on different tires. Ah 2.2 tires are so much cheaper than MT tires.
    Here are the questions:

Upgrading out of the box?
    My budget is pretty unlimited but building a truck to go run witha new guy I want to keep the performance about the same. Trying to keep cost down but what are the things that you should upgrade from the beginning. As I part out trucks on ebay I can resell any of the stock parts to recover funds for the builds. So what needs to go for durability out of the box? I am thinking the RPM motor shield. Maybe upgrade the steering linkage to AL? BB at a min. Rear shock tower?
    What do you guys break? What do you thing is needed. Like I said I can always sell off the stock new parts pretty easy.

Bodies: I think that most of the Mt bodies designed for the larger 1/8 MT should be wide enough, long enough, and have the right wheelbase to look right on the slash. I do understand that I will probably have to remove the rear bumper assembly. Looking at Proline because the body specs are on the page and make elimination easy. Any sugestions on bodies that work and where you set you body holes ?

Gearing: As we will running a bigger tires what is a good range to start. Stock electronics with 7 cell EnerG 4600 matched packs. I figured the stock 19T pinion was a good place to start. Opinions on gearing?
    Pay It Forward.

RC Qualifier
    you can look at some alloy caster blocks, stiffer springs (slash bottoms out everywhere), rpm tower and arms. and you will have one of the toughest rc truck in business. stay with the factory links they are as tough as you can buy
    5805,17/58,REM,VXL,1/8

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Durability wise..the slash is PERFECT..no upgrading their. My first upgared will be RPM gear case(Prevent sand/dirt to get to gears), RPM rear bumper(Better hold on design), and Some Big Bores, or other alum shocks.
    Brushless, and lipo would be highly reccomended too.
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by arvint
    Durability wise..the slash is PERFECT..no upgrading their. My first upgared will be RPM gear case(Prevent sand/dirt to get to gears), RPM rear bumper(Better hold on design), and Some Big Bores, or other alum shocks.
    Brushless, and lipo would be highly reccomended too.
    The RPM cover was my first upgrade as well. That's it however as I'll be racing it in the stock class at my area indoor dirt track (whenever I can find the time).
    T-Maxx 3.3 | Losi Mini DT | Blade CX2

RC Qualifier
    The Slash wont need anything to be upgraded as it is already tough out of the box. I haven't broken anything except two bearing carriers both resulting for another truck smashing into my truck. It has taken every bit of abuse I have given it and it always asks for more. Only thing though, if anything is going with big bores.
    Nitro Sport Pro. 15
    VXL BlackSlash w/ DX2.0

RC Champion
    get narrow rpm revolvers
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Qualifier
    If your going to put bigger tires on the truck u need to adjust gearing. Prolly have to run 19/90 or something because stock gearing on stock motor with bigger tires will kill it. Trust me it happened to be twice before i realized my dumb move.

RC Champion
    Bodies. Look at the emaxx body, i think it drops right in or you might have to drill couple holes, not 100% sure
    Lead, follow, or get out of my way!

RC Enthusiast
    Emaxx body should fit pretty good. I have a slash body
    on my Emaxx. I would def. go with the big bores haven't
    bent a shock shaft since I did. Very tough and fun truck.

RC Competitor
    gearing for big tires... 17T/90T I have it, works great
    When you lose radio control at top speed, RUN!

RC Champion
    here is a pic of an e-maxx body on a slash http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...t=frankenslash
    Race-bred SSC 4x4
    Durango DEX410

RC Champion
    Ok now I am really confused. There seems to be set after set of revolver 2.2 rims.

Electric front
    Electric rear
    Crawler narrow
    Crawler wide

After a little search i am getting mixed reviews about what works and what doesn't. I would really like to run the same rim front to back and a little offset as possible

Front- not a problem
    Rear- bind on the front at full turn and can run on the rear with jumping
    Narrow- works but squishes the tire
    Wide - assume would work as it is an offset version of the narrow

I would prefer a full width rim an no offset (like the rears) But it seems it is not going to happen. The tire budge from the narrow rim may not be the end of the world because the Geolanders is 50 mm wide on a 41mm rim. Still not as close as the Front Bully rim with Moabs 55 vs 49.8 mm.

Any input of what actually definately does and does not work for the front and rear?
    Last edited by OCD RC; 08-20-2009 at 04:14 AM.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Champion
    After a talk with RPM it seems that all will work except for the rear wheels on the front. So I am going with the Narrows.

I will write an update when we get the trucks finished.
    Pay It Forward.