Does the perfect tune exist?

Well guys does the perfect tune exist? See my t-maxx at the momet is running the best it's ever run and that's mainly thanks to the advice from here which has helped me learn the ropes! Anyway i'm getting loads of blue smoke, it goes well and is able to wheelie for fun! The pinch test is fine and it's cutting out in about three seconds and finally it will usually change gear happily. The only thing is it very, very occassionly bogs down slightly under acceleration but that can only be say once in every fifteen minutes of running. So, should I fiddle around and try to perfect the tune or does the perfect tune not exist and I am better leaving it and enjoying the current performance? What do you guys think? Thank you chaps.

RC Champion
    Sometimes a bog can be in your clutches. You might want to pull the clutchbell and check your clutches, and bearings.
    2nd Annual Steve Raddatz Memorial Race pm me

The perfect tune does exist, I have seen/heard it many, many times.
    The question is, how long will it last with the current needle settings. Tunes will change with environmental conditions (temp-humidity etc.) So what is perfect now, may not be perfect in an hour or after one of those pesky thunderstorms pass.
    Sounds like you have a good tune. The low speed bog could be something as simple as the tranny not downshifting every so often or the LSN needing a slight tweak.
    If you are confident in your tuning abilities don't be afraid to try and get the perfect tune, it does exist.
    Worst that could happen is you loose you spot and have to start from factory settings. It should take less than 1/2 tank of fuel to find the sweet spot again if you get lost.
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Champion
    get it running well and enjoy it... chasing and keeping the perfect tune is like trying to reach the horizon... it is an infinite chase

the perfect tune for pro racers is slightly lean (they don't pay for their engines so why not trash them in a heat or 2) , ever notice at a big time race you don't see a lot of blue smoke?

running clean WITH smoke is the way to go

moto
    wandering the RC galaxy gathering knowledge

Tune for performance and smoke trails. If you are getting them both then that would be the perfect tune.

Just remember stock fuel tanks lean up as the fuel level drops so there goes the perfect tune. Also any change in humidity or temperature will make a difference in your tune...
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught
    Tune for performance and smoke trails. If you are getting them both then that would be the perfect tune.

Just remember stock fuel tanks lean up as the fuel level drops so there goes the perfect tune. Also any change in humidity or temperature will make a difference in your tune...
    Hey Nitro, with the Ofna 150cc tank mod that a lot of folks on here have done, does the "tune with 1/2 tank" guideline lose a bit of significance? Just by the mechanics of how the fuel system operates, it's going to lean out as fuel is used, but does the shape of the stock fuel tank make the T-Maxx lean out more than using something like the Ofna tank?
    www.capefearraceway.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael1107
    Hey Nitro, with the Ofna 150cc tank mod that a lot of folks on here have done, does the "tune with 1/2 tank" guideline lose a bit of significance? Just by the mechanics of how the fuel system operates, it's going to lean out as fuel is used, but does the shape of the stock fuel tank make the T-Maxx lean out more than using something like the Ofna tank?
    I have the OFNA Violator tank. It does not lean up as near as much as the stock tank does, but as you get down to the bottom it does lean up a little. SO I still follow te 1/2 tank rule. Even if you didn't lean up at all with a different tank the 1/2 tank tuning still can't hurt...
    All Lives Matter

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I agree with NN here. No matter what take I run in whatever truck I am running, I still tune with the 1/2 tank method.

As far as the perfect tune goes, yes it does exist. No need to chase after it tho, you will just cause yourself frustration, and you will spend more time tuning than running lol. I have a SH .28 8 port in one truck that I havent had to touch the needles in 6 months. For some reason that motor just holds the tune perfectly.
    My truck sees more air than yours!!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RCOVERBOARD
    I agree with NN here. No matter what take I run in whatever truck I am running, I still tune with the 1/2 tank method.

As far as the perfect tune goes, yes it does exist. No need to chase after it tho, you will just cause yourself frustration, and you will spend more time tuning than running lol. I have a SH .28 8 port in one truck that I havent had to touch the needles in 6 months. For some reason that motor just holds the tune perfectly.
    Can I have that motor? My Hyper .21 holds a tune well, but it seems like it has a very narrow sweet spot. But once I find it it's good to go. One race we had a thunderstorm go by, it didn't rain at the track but you could see it rain like a half mile away. Everybody was turning needles before they even got on the track. I just left mine alone, and it ran great. It may be the three needle carb on that motor or something. I never touch the mid range needle, so I might need to try it.

RC Qualifier
    Perhaps, after converting to the FOC, one could dedicate the extra servo to the HSN via a spring or chain linkage. Then they could chase the perfect tune on the fly.
    That might not be a bad idea here in Colorado. High altitude and sudden weather changes...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrocameo
    Perhaps, after converting to the FOC, one could dedicate the extra servo to the HSN via a spring or chain linkage. Then they could chase the perfect tune on the fly.
    That might not be a bad idea here in Colorado. High altitude and sudden weather changes...
    I like the sound of that

Yes i think the perfect tune does exist in a land far far away filled with streams of blue smoke and fields of endless wheeles and golden sunny days
    Last edited by steaknbacon; 08-20-2009 at 08:46 PM.

RC Champion
    Yes i think the perfect tune does exist in a land far far away filled with streams of blue smoke and fields of endless wheeles and golden sunny days
    LOL, somebody went on a trip there!
    take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty.............oh won't ya,... take me hooooome

moto
    wandering the RC galaxy gathering knowledge

Iam a perfect tuner. just ask the guys that have been on here for a couple months! lol they dont know tune if they inhaled it!
    454 bb maxx

RC Champion
    All hail the king of RC's FANTOMAXX. He roams the forums looking for those he can ridicule, and embarass. We bow to you o king.

One thing I would like to add....

Fuel.... I have found some fuels to be much more difficult to get a decent tune and sensitive to changes in the weather than others. Tried JACS Racing fuel once, never again. Drove me crazy trying to find the sweet spot.

Odonnels racing formula 30% nitro, works very well fro me and I find it much easier to tune with than a lot of other fuels.
    All Lives Matter

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man
    The perfect tune does exist, I have seen/heard it many, many times.
    What does it sound like? I always see video on youtube.com w/ the 3.3 engine. Many of them sound like the engine is running well (strong sound w/ good blue smoke), however there's always comments saying "Too rich, learn to tune your engine".

Are these real experts commenting or just dumb *** kids who think they know something about anything? My guess is its the latter.
    Last edited by KCMike; 08-21-2009 at 12:52 PM.
    T-Maxx 3.3 | Losi Mini DT | Blade CX2

The sound of a well tuned engine is hard to explain.
    It takes quite a while to learn what to listen for, and to know what needle needs turned based on the sound the engine is making.
    Over time you won't even realise you are listening to the engine, the brain just knows that if it does not sound right what needs to be done.
    On track racing situation require eyes and feel, there are so many engines running on the track at one time you probably will not here yours well untill you pass the drivers stand. In those cases, throttle response is about all you have to go on.

When you learn to listen and feel the tune of the engine, the perfect tune sounds like music to the ears
    No slipper/tall gearing/power = broken parts.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael1107
    I agree with Nitronaught's response to this post. I have a dual-tank setup, I'm just letting you know so you can discount what I am saying if you want. But I installed a second 75cc "header" tank, as it would be called in an RC airplane, when I still had a stock fuel tank. The installation of the second tank eliminated quite a bit of the stock tank's self-leaning issue, and made the engine easier to tune all around, and it also held a tune better. I later installed the OFNA 150cc tank (while still running the second 75cc tank). This eliminated even more of the self-leaning problem, and it is a much better tank than the stock fuel tank as it seems like it is more durable and it has a built-in fuel filter. Still, the tune does lean out a little bit as the fuel level gets low. It is hardly a problem at all, but it is there. I can just ignore it because it is so slight. But I usually do tune with half a tank of fuel anyway, and I would suggest doing so anyway. And I also suggest getting the OFNA tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Snook Man
    The sound of a well tuned engine is hard to explain.
    It takes quite a while to learn what to listen for, and to know what needle needs turned based on the sound the engine is making.

If you are racing, you hear 10 RC's at once. Impossible to hear your truck when you are driving in the stands. But hopefully you have it close during practice before the heats and/or your pit man is listening to you. I usually get my tune close before the qualifyers and if it is too snappy or seems to be dropping in performance I ask my pit man to temp it and adjust..
    All Lives Matter