RC Champion

Time to hang it up

I got into hobby class r/c's back around 2000 or so after I had and accident on my dirt bike. Broke both my legs, lost my job, surgery, long recovery, etc. No fun.

Used r/c's to keep me sane and then got a nitro and loved the sound and smell. Got into them bigtime over the years, I've owned about every r/c, but never could find anyone into them as much as me, so that took the fun out of it for a grown man.

Over the past couple years I've slowly got back into street legal dirt bikes, etc. so I haven't been running the ole r/c's as much. Been having lots of fun on them. Ended up having another accident and broke my leg again, just in another spot. Of course it wasn't an easy single brake, I pretty my shattered my knee joint.
    Surgery again and I'm laying here recovering.

Makes me so mad because I've been having such a good time on my bikes. I've gotten to be a really good rider and I was wearing full gear when I crashed.

I just don't know how I could get back on a bike, ride and be certain that I won't mess myself up again. The pain and LONG recovery time just isn't worth it. Not to mention I have a wonderful wife and kids that are counting on me.

Any of you "older" guys have any words of wisdom for me?

RC Qualifier
    Maybe look into taking it off the streets and into super moto or something, or possibly a parkinglot. What made you crash, single vehicle or was it others involved too?
    TEAM RCA
    VXL 3S Venom Powered Monster Pede.

RC Racer
    Stick with vehicles 4 wheels and up... Sorry to hear about your accidents, but with a wife and kids, you can't be risking yourself anymore. Unless she has a couple million life insurance policy out on you... then go to town!

RC Qualifier
    I thought about getting a street bike before... Then I got married and had a Daughter and I wouldn't risk my life like that, I have people counting on me.

I do own a Honda 400ex 4-wheeler and always wear my helmet. It usually doesn't hurt as bad when you fall in dirt or grass. I'd rather stick to the off-road side and drive my Chevy 2500HD when I have to use the roads, lol.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I have a friend that broke his hip pretty bad but after he recovered he ended up buying another bike and, you guessed it, he wrecked on that one too and was pretty busted up.

I gave up my Suzuki GSXR 750 just before I got married. Being on a street bike in Ft Lauderdale is almost suicidal if you ask me..

Yup we are getting older and you've had some bad luck injury wise. I would say at least when you wreck your RC it just hits you in the pocket.

Now you have a shattered knee. Another broken leg. I think you've already come to your own conclusion.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Champion
    Dang why must I like the speed and thrills!?
    I could blame the crash on the 2 stroke. Both of my crashes were on 2 strokes instead of my bigger 450 4 stroke. BUT I could of crashed on it too.
    It really sucks because they are so fun, I just think at my age I better cash in my chips for my fam.
    Why can't I have heckofalotta fun and not have to worry about getting hurt?

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Truck
    Dang why must I like the speed and thrills!?
    I could blame the crash on the 2 stroke. Both of my crashes were on 2 strokes instead of my bigger 450 4 stroke. BUT I could of crashed on it too.
    It really sucks because they are so fun, I just think at my age I better cash in my chips for my fam.
    Why can't I have heckofalotta fun and not have to worry about getting hurt?

Try Jumping a bus with your TMAXX. It's pretty thrillling and if anything breaks it doesn't take a Dr.... lolll
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    My father had an accident on his bike a few years ago. He and I use to love to ride together, my bike was faster tho lol. After his wreck, he just couldnt get on his bike again. He would try, but he was too nurvous to. On the hyway he was ok, but as soon as he got into town he would start shaking. He finally cut his losses and sold his bike.
    My truck sees more air than yours!!!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Grand National's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitronaught
    Yup we are getting older and you've had some bad luck injury wise. I would say at least when you wreck your RC it just hits you in the pocket.
    Except when you run a jato into your foot and break it about 5 inches from where it hit. Now thats what I call a hard hit.
    But yes, I would just stop the riding man god is trying to tell you something.
    Casper - 2001 Dodge Cummins (my baby)

If it's something you love doing, you gotta get back on that horse after it throws you. It sounds kind of like you've answered your own question though:
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Truck
    The pain and LONG recovery time just isn't worth it. Not to mention I have a wonderful wife and kids that are counting on me.
    Last edited by TAT2; 08-23-2009 at 03:47 PM.
    99%er