RC Champion

thinkin about takin the plunge and gettin a brushless erevo, should I??

Currently i have an old tmaxx 2.5 i never run anymore, a revo 3.3 with picco .26 jl red dot that i run occassionally but get tired of all the hassle with nitro sometimes, and also a stampede vxl that i run pretty often. I have been wanting a new erevo brushless for a while now (should have got that instead of my stampede). Just wondering how u guys like the truck in general and if u think i would be happy with it. I absolutely love how my revo 3.3 performs and the amazing suspension, but anymore i am back to electric bc i can run it in front of my house anytime without the neighbors yelling at me haha. So what do u guys think, should i do it
    need4spd

Yes. If you like the Revo but hate the hassle of nitro, you are a perfect canidate for the newest ERBE owner.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Champion
    also had a few quick questions about the truck, is it 100% waterproof? I have a 2s and 3s lipo battery for my stampede, can u run the revo off of one battery, or do u always have to have 2 installed. Do both batteries have to be exactly the same in the truck, or does it not really matter. Like if i had a 2s and 3s lipo in it, would that work?
    need4spd

RC Qualifier
    You would definitely be happy with the ERBE and so would your neighbors. The speed is awesome!! As for 100% waterproof, if not for the MMM, I'd say yes. Castle Creations was quoted as saying it is waterproof but in my opinion, the fan is an open window into the ESC. I just can't see it being completely waterproof. I'm running 2 2S 7.4 6500 MaxAmps batteries and the speed is incredible especially when you change the gearing from 18/65 (out of the box) to 18/54. You will not be disappointed and yes, you need to run both batteries. As for the 2s and 3s together at the same time, I cannot answer that question. I'm assuming yes but I'm sure someone else can answer that better than I can. Good Luck!

I'd also recommend RC Boca Hobbies for the purchase, it's going for $649 and if your not having it shipped to an address in Florida you'll save the tax ($56). Not a bad deal, if you ask me.
    FangsCPO
    "How fast was I going Officer?" Wow?

RC Qualifier
    It is always best to run the same voltage and same mah batteries in the truck, because if you run say a 7.4v-6500mah and a 7.4v-5000mah the auto lvc will read the low voltage in the 7.4v-5000mah before it will reach the low voltage in the 6500mah. So the answer is NO, i would not run 2 different batteries in the same truck, and I just explained the most obvious problem you would have, but thee are more you would run into. That's why battery company's sell e-revo battery packs, one for the left side and one for the right side.

RC Qualifier
    well I'd say if you want to yeah but if someone ha to talk you into buying something then later down the road your gonna have a higher chance of disliking it but if you have the cash for the rig and batts ( and the occasional driveshaft) then your fine
    Use your Keyboard, OMG sounds Girly

RC Qualifier
    I was in the same boat as you dshaffer. I had a 3.3 with a red dot and I just spent most of my time messing with that actually running it, it was just very frustrating. So I was sitting at my computer one day and I though what the heck, and ordered the erbe. Best thing I ever did. IMO this beats nitro hands down. I have had so much fun with it, and the picco wont even compare the the power the mmm combo has.

As for using one battery, no what you have wont work. You need to step up to at least a 4S configuration pumping at least 120amps or more. Im run 2 4S 2650mah 30c lipos in parallel and they have great runtime... just bashing a round I can get 30-45 minutes, and I have six of them to keep me going. They are *******s from hobby city and were around $35 a piece, so not too bad. Also make sure you get a quality charger.

Final note... YOU WONT REGRET IT

RC Champion
    thanks for all the help with my new purchase making decision. Plan on picking one up at my lhs within the next few days. Do u guys have a charger that does 2 batteries at once, or do u just charge one batt at a time. I already have the venom pro lipo charger for my stampede and it seems to be a high quality charger
    need4spd

RC Qualifier
    You have cheap dual chargers and you have pricey dual chargers, it's how many bells and whistles you want and whether you want a Ford Focus or a Ford Mustang Shelby Edition.
    OH WELL, YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A TEKIN RX8...

RC Qualifier
    Use your Keyboard, OMG sounds Girly

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You don't need a dual-charger, any regular single charger can charge multiple batteries. If you have a single charger that can charge up to 6S, you can charge two 3S packs, three 2S packs, a 3S and a 2S pack, and 4S and a 2S pack, six 1S packs, anything that totals 6S.

Also, you can run a 2S and a 3S in the E-Revo, but both packs must be the same brand and the same capacity.
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Champion
    i have the venom pro charger, would i need to make an additional wiring harness to charge 2 packs
    need4spd

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yes, you need a series adapter to put both packs in series, and a balance tap adapter as well (or buy a balance board that puts the balance taps into series for you).
    Last edited by Revoš; 08-23-2009 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Revoš
    Yes, you need a series adapter to put both packs in series, and a balance tap adapter as well (or buy a balance board that puts the balance taps into series for you).
    Something like this would work:

Be nice. It's a prototype 2x 2S to 4S adapter, Align (JST-XH) adapter that I soldered up. I think Hughes500Bob makes them too.

So far it has worked nicely with a Duratrax ICE charger and an EOS 5i DC charger, both 4S capable and both with the same LBA10 balancer.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-23-2009 at 11:37 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Qualifier
    Actually a 6s charger could easily handle a quantity of 2, 3, 4,or more 4s batteries, if you charge in parallel. Right now I'm using an icharger 208b and I've made a parallel harness that can charge 4of my 4s 2650 batts, and a harness for the mini revo and its 2s batts. I also balance in parallel, and the cells always come out perfectly balanced. There has been some debate in the past as to if this is really better than series charging or good at all. If you head over to rcgroups.com you will find a lot of information about lipos and charging, and information about parallel charging. While series is ok to charge with, parallel imo is safer and there is less chance of frying something by hooking it up wrong.

The only thing with parallel charging is that you want to make sure that the batts are within ~30% capacity with each other, just to be on the safe side. There has been reports that people have charged batts that were over 50% of one another, with ill effects.

Just remember when you purchase your equipment, keep in mind the saying "spend a little more now instead of a lot later." I took the expensive route myself. Its almost a guarantee once you first drive the erbe, you will never want to drive nitro again, and you will find yourself pawing off all your gas powered trucks. With that being said, get yourself a quality charger and just not the bare minimum to get you by for now. I guess I would say plan for the future.

Many people pick up a charger from ********* when they buy their lipos. I didn’t buy my charger there but I did purchase a power supply. It was DOA, and the only thing I could do was to send it back which was not worth my time or money. I bought the icharger 208b (this charger might be a little overkill, but is a powerhouse) from amainhobbies and it was around $180, but you would probably be ok with the icharger 106. I also purchased the Ofna Power Supreme power supply. You can find cheaper out there, but this has been rock solid for me and is quiet and cool. The batteries I’m using are the ******* 4S 2650mah 30c from *********, and they run about $35 a piece. I’m just a basher and get anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour, depending on what I’m doing while running a set in parallel.

Ok, I think I’ve rambled enough for now, but like you, I was new to all this a few months ago. I have learned quiet-a-bit in a short time. The key is just to read, read, read, and then read some more and you will pick up on everything. I’ll try and get some pics of my charging setup later when I get home.

If you are going to go with the larger sized batteries that the ERBE uses, and you have the $$$ to spend on a good quality charger that will be able to keep up with your needs, take a look at the Hyperion Duo III setup. The new version 3 can charge at up to 15 amps and 180 watts per bay, so it can charge the new chemestry 3c and 5c charge rate batteries at a really good rate.

For power, I'm using a 25 amp, 24 vollt Meanwell power supply. The Hyperion Duo can use 24v input, which means it needs only 1/2 the amperage - 24v & 25A is the same as 12v & 50A. Meanwell power supplies are designed for use in hospital grade equipment, so they are VERY reliable, and very expensive, but I found some on eBay (used) for only about $30, which is an absolute steal for a $400 power supply.

RC Racer
    I have (selling on eBay) a venom pro charger and when I upgraded to bigger batteries (maxamps) it was just not enough. My packs can take a 13A charge, the venom charger is 5A max. I bought a dual 15A charger and 40A power supply. This not only cuts down charge time but also provided plug-n-play operation.
    E-Revo + CC MMM + MaxAmps - Skilled at breaking it

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just keep in mind that the iCharger 208B is actually a better charger in specs than the Hyperion Duo3, the only thing the Duo3 can do the 208B can't is charge two completely different batteries at the same time. Otherwise, the 208B is better in every way.

I am not saying the Duo3 isn't any good, because it is, I am just saying the 208B has better specs and is much cheaper.

RC Qualifier
    I have two pairs (total of 4) of ***** ********* 5000mAh 3S 30C batteries.
    Do you confirm that the Hyperion Duo2 is the best solution to charge all of them simultaneously (as two independent pair-series of packs) and safely at 1C?

RC Qualifier
    To charge a pair of those (total of 2) at 1C, you need a charger that can do this:
    series - 6s, 5amp, 126watts
    parallel - 3s, 10amp, 126watts

The Duo2 can do this. Since they're outdated, I'm seeing them go for as little as $250. But instead of that, you could get a pair of Accucel-8 chargers for $140. It's a little less powerful than the Duo2, but it meets your needs. For $220, you can get a pair of 106B chargers which will be more powerful than the Duo2. They can charge at 250 watts instead of 180. That would be handy if you ever want to charge at 2C.

RC Qualifier
    Aren't the Accucel-8 cheap made-in-china chargers?
    Aren't here all suggesting to take high quality charger/s?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by dshaffer
    Currently i have an old tmaxx 2.5 i never run anymore, a revo 3.3 with picco .26 jl red dot that i run occassionally but get tired of all the hassle with nitro sometimes, and also a stampede vxl that i run pretty often. I have been wanting a new erevo brushless for a while now (should have got that instead of my stampede). Just wondering how u guys like the truck in general and if u think i would be happy with it. I absolutely love how my revo 3.3 performs and the amazing suspension, but anymore i am back to electric bc i can run it in front of my house anytime without the neighbors yelling at me haha. So what do u guys think, should i do it
    My Neighbors still complain at Night it is alot louder than the VXL Rusty. But quieter than the Nitro gear noise is high for night but not day so much
    havnt failed I just found 1000 ways that wont work

RC Racer
    As far as chargers go get this FMA. You can charge two batterys and it has a ton of cool features.
    E-Revo-MMM 2200-4s-5s-6s
    Go ***** Go!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by m.stealth
    All electronics are made in china. Doesn't matter if you buy them online from an overseas vendor or from the shop down the street. As far as "cheap", if you mean inexpensive, than the answer is yes. If you mean poorly made, then it's your call. But "poorly made" and "zip code of the seller" have nothing to do with each other. The "zip code of the factory" may, but good luck finding that.

I do suggest a high quality charger. It's tough to beat any of the iChargers. If you feel better about buying it stateside, than get it from ProgressiveRC. His prices are competitive and he is a helpful guy. The Hyperion's are also great. I just wanted to point out some cheaper options that meet your requirements. It's up to you, I"m not on commission.

As far as the FMA CellPro 10s, it won't do what you want. It is not a Duo charger like the Hyperion and Bantam chargers. It has two ports, but it's not a Duo charger. You can't start a second set of batteries when the first set is half charged. Or am I misunderstanding you when you say "charge all of them simultaneously (as two independent pair-series of packs) and safely at 1C"? Do you want to start charging a second set when the first set is halfway through it's charge cycle? If so, you need a true Duo charger (or a pair of smaller chargers). If you want to put all four batteries on at once (all discharged) and charge all four at the same time, then there are lots more chargers available. More than I posted the first time. For example, a single 106B could charge all four at once at 1C. It's only $120 from ProgressiveRC. A step up would be the 208B for $170.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I am a Patriotic American, so don't get me wrong, but I am tired of people thinking that just because something is made or sold in Asia it must be cheap junk. Toyota is the #1 car manufacturer in the world, with one of their cars being the best selling car in America. fact is, most of the stuff you own has a "Made in (somewhere in Asia)" sticker on it.

Anyway, The Accucel chargers are very good chargers, and are very inexpensive...everything sold at ********* is very good, and also very inexpensive. You do not have to pay a fortune to get good stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by chet jamio
    As far as the FMA CellPro 10s, it won't do what you want. It is not a Duo charger like the Hyperion and Bantam chargers. It has two ports, but it's not a Duo charger. You can't start a second set of batteries when the first set is half charged. Or am I misunderstanding you when you say "charge all of them simultaneously (as two independent pair-series of packs) and safely at 1C"? Do you want to start charging a second set when the first set is halfway through it's charge cycle? If so, you need a true Duo charger (or a pair of smaller chargers). If you want to put all four batteries on at once (all discharged) and charge all four at the same time, then there are lots more chargers available. More than I posted the first time. For example, a single 106B could charge all four at once at 1C. It's only $120 from ProgressiveRC. A step up would be the 208B for $170.
    I would not charge 2 independently used pair of batteries all together with a single charger. The second pair of batteries could have been used differently (quantitatively and qualitatively) than the first. Would you consider "safe" to charge them all together in series or parallel (even if you start the charge with the same voltage)?

RC Qualifier
    I am a Patriotic American, so don't get me wrong, but I am tired of people thinking that just because something is made or sold in Asia it must be cheap junk. Toyota is the #1 car manufacturer in the world, with one of their cars being the best selling car in America. fact is, most of the stuff you own has a "Made in (somewhere in Asia)" sticker on it.
    Well, I said China, not Asia. It's very different.
    Japan is known to be a leader in technology, and Toyota is from Japan.
    The GDP/capita of Japan is similar to that in USA and Europe.
    The GDP/capita of China is very lower.

And a company from USA/Japan/Europe with production in China is different than a company from China that sells directly.
    It's a fact of different laws too.

RC Qualifier
    i know when it comes to PC components, 'made in china' is junk 99% of the time, whereas 'made in japan' signifies very good quality 99% of the time
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

RC Qualifier
    I would not charge 2 independently used pair of batteries all together with a single charger. The second pair of batteries could have been used differently (quantitatively and qualitatively) than the first. Would you consider "safe" to charge them all together in series or parallel (even if you start the charge with the same voltage)?
    I do exactly that as do many other people. It's very safe. The only thing that matters is being consistent. I run all my batteries on a MMM vehicle and every LVC is set the same. After driving, every battery is close enough to each other that they can very safely be charged together. I also store all of my lipos at 3.85 volts. When it's time to drive, I put all four on the same charger. It's perfectly safe.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well, my made in china stuff is just as good or better than all the other stuff I have.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    As far as chargers go, my two favorites are the MRC SuperBrain 989 8S (have) and the ProTek iCharger 208B 8S (getting), there just isn't any better in my opinion. I am using the Chargery Power DB8 8S balancer with my 989, and it is awesome as well!

RC Qualifier
    As far as chargers go, my two favorites are the MRC SuperBrain 989 8S (have) and the ProTek iCharger 208B 8S (getting), there just isn't any better in my opinion. I am using the Chargery Power DB8 8S balancer with my 989, and it is awesome as well!
    i have the ProTek iCharger 1010B+ and i love it, as far as i know it is essentially the same charger except the specs:

10 amps, 10 cells vs. 20 amps, 8 cells
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

RC Qualifier
    Well, my made in china stuff is just as good or better than all the other stuff I have.
    So what do you think about this Thunder AC6? would you buy 2x Thunder AC6 to charge 4 (two independant pairs) ***** 5000mAh 2S 30C?

For $55 (*2 + shipping in my case) you have charger/discharger, balancer, temp sensor, USB/PC graphic software, dual input (DC/AC), in a very small (140*95*28mm) and light (260grams) package. Unbeatable?

RC Qualifier

There must be something wrong in those dimensions of 140*95*28mm. Look at the proportions in the picture, how can it be 140*95?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    They aren't all parts sitting by each other, they are pictures of each part edited into the same picture, so they are not in proportion.

RC Qualifier
    They aren't all parts sitting by each other, they are pictures of each part edited into the same picture, so they are not in proportion.
    Are you saying that the black squared piece on the top-right is not a single piece in reality?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    No, it's a single piece...I am saying that all the different pieces in the picture aren't all individual pieces sitting next to each other for the picture, they are all separate pictures of each individual piece edited into a single image.

Where in the world did you get that I said the big square piece wasn't a single piece?

RC Qualifier
    Where in the world did you get that I said the big square piece wasn't a single piece?
    It's because you commented on the dimensions of the charger stating that it's because they are multiple pictures merged into one...

Anyhow... I repeat the question... how can this charger be 140*95 when in the picture it seems almost a square?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It's just a picture, it could be stretched, skewed, bad angle, many things...why does it matter? The size of it won't affect how it charges.