Thread: pinion gear

RC Racer

pinion gear

I got my slash over 5 days ago for my birthday and i love my Traxxas alot it is the greatest short course race truck their is. Well I'm new to the Traxxas slash forum and electric forum. Anyways I would like to change to different pinion gear for more speed and acceleration but the problem is i can't get the pinon gear off the motor because the screw inside the pinon gear is extremely hard to get off. I'm afraid that if i keep trying to unscrew the pinon gear i'll strip out the head of the screw. So my question is does anyone know how to remove a stuck pinion gear.
    03 ACCORD EXV6 SEDAN
    Smooth as silk

RC Qualifier
    with the right size of allen key, you should be able to get the set screw (also called grub screw) out or at least loose enough to remove the pinion..

it only requires about a 1/2 a turn to losen it enough

also be careful when you put on the larger pinion.. it will increase the temprature your motor runs at (because it has to work harder to get the truck going).. and you could end up damaging or burning out the motor depending on how your driving it

i replaced my spur gear in my rusty and got more speed out of it, the first time i took my pinion off it was hard as heck to get that little screw to loosen.

RC Racer
    I've used a correct size Allen wrench but it just unbelievably so hard to get off.
    03 ACCORD EXV6 SEDAN
    Smooth as silk

i think i heard that traxxas puts a small bit of medium loc-tite on the threads, keep trying, or ask someone in your house for help(if there is anyone)

RC Racer
    i can't because if keep trying I'm positive the grub screw strip. what can do to ease taking out the grub screw.
    Last edited by T-MAXX pro.15; 08-25-2009 at 05:42 PM.
    03 ACCORD EXV6 SEDAN
    Smooth as silk

as long as your useing the right allen and it is in there straight it wont strip, like i said mine was hard as heck too.

RC Champion
    if u havent try using the allen key with the shorter side in the screw and twist the longer side, itll make it easier.
    rtr slash 4x4
    2s lipo
    some other rc stuff

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by T-MAXX pro.15
    I got my slash over 5 days ago for my birthday and i love my Traxxas alot it is the greatest short course race truck their is. Well I'm new to the Traxxas slash forum and electric forum. Anyways I would like to change to different pinion gear for more speed and acceleration but the problem is i can't get the pinon gear off the motor because the screw inside the pinon gear is extremely hard to get off. I'm afraid that if i keep trying to unscrew the pinon gear i'll strip out the head of the screw. So my question is does anyone know how to remove a stuck pinion gear.
    If you have a soldering iron try to heat the pinion a little and that should soften up the loc-tite and the screw should come out no problem..

RC Competitor
    ya i heated mine with a propane torch real quick. and it did the trick.
    When you lose radio control at top speed, RUN!

RC Champion
    I broke the 1.5 Allen wrench that came with my slash because of this. I had to buy some new ones but have a whole set of stronger ones now. I don't know if they use loc tite but it is hard as heck to get off out of the box. You could place the head in the screw and make sure it's in tight and use a pliers to grip the wrench and turn. It will come off without stripping just really hard the first time.
    Slash VXL
    Summit VXL
    they have to share for now

RC poster
    My son had the same problem with his. The 1.5mm allan wrench that came with the car would slip and a 2mm allan was too big. We even tried the same sizes with a screwdriver of the same sizes. Same problem. Took it back to where I bought it and had them remove it. They suggested a specific hex-ended screw driver to replace these and it works. Bummer having to buy another tool but it does the job.

good luck.