Thread: Diff Oil

RC Racer

Diff Oil

Just out of curiosity what weight oil do you guys/girls prefer to use offroad and why? Personally I like a very stiff diff, at the moment i would be running around 1500k weight (not sure exactly because its a custom mix). I find it very predictable and easily controllable. So what do you run?
    A sure cure for seasickness is to sit under a tree

RC Qualifier
    1500 is not very stiff at all. THat si actually lighter then stock. I had 12000 in mine and it was alot of fun for oversteer in the dirt but kinda hard to contorl on takeoffs in the dirt.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Retaks
    1500 is not very stiff at all. THat si actually lighter then stock. I had 12000 in mine and it was alot of fun for oversteer in the dirt but kinda hard to contorl on takeoffs in the dirt.
    I think you miss understood what i wrote, 1500k = 1500,000 weight. It's like putty.

RC Qualifier
    For the most part you about locked your diff. You would get better traction with thinner oil for off road. With it being the way you have it you lose the limited slip affect that is key for off road. But many you like it like that?
    sig edited for content

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot
    I think you miss understood what i wrote, 1500k = 1500,000 weight. It's like putty.
    Yup sorry i misunderstood what you ment. Yea 1500 would be putty. Why not just use a spool? IM sure it would be alot easier to get out if you wanna switch.

RC Qualifier
    I use 120,000 in mine and love it course it's not like the putty you have in yours though
    Billy
    T-Maxx 3.3 Jato 3.3

I use 20k for off road, and 70k for on road.
    Slash PE & Ja-two.

RC Racer
    Even though its thick its nowhere near locked, i can turn a wheel with just one finger while holding the other one still. The main reason i use such a high weight is to prevent unloading/ballooning of the inner tyre when cornering with power on. It also works really well in medium length grass too, unlike when i had 20k in the diff, i could barely get traction one wheel was always spinning. Also its so much easyer to drift in the dirt now too.
    Last edited by Buckshot; 08-27-2009 at 03:33 PM.

RC Competitor
    I run Traxxas CVD's, standard diff and Moabs with off road (steve slayden spec) suspension set up. I run off road only, and would like to try a locked diff (spool?) or weld her up. Id like a spare diff to try this with.

My question is, can i get a spool for the jato?
    Rustler 2.5
    Jato 3.3
    T Maxx 2.5R
    T Maxx 3.3

RC Qualifier
    Put silly putty in the diff. It will lock it for the most part, and easy to clean out, and its cheap
    sig edited for content

RC Champion
    Do they even sell spools for the jato diffs? Because if so that would greatly help my for drag racing if one tire doesn't get traction. But right now I'm using heavy weight bearing grease because the LHS didn't have any diff fluid....

Is shock fluid the same as diff fluid? And if so what would 45wt shock oil be like funning in the diff...like no fluid at all since its so thin?
    R/C is expensive...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC_K1d
    Do they even sell spools for the jato diffs? Because if so that would greatly help my for drag racing if one tire doesn't get traction. But right now I'm using heavy weight bearing grease because the LHS didn't have any diff fluid....

Is shock fluid the same as diff fluid? And if so what would 45wt shock oil be like funning in the diff...like no fluid at all since its so thin?
    Diff fluid and Shock fluid are completely different. Yes they do make a spool for the Jato. Here is a link to an ebay add with one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Traxxas-Jato-loc...27166009r31861