Thread: Roll Cage

RC Racer

Roll Cage

I think I really need to get a roll cage. I was bashing around a little tonight, not really going crazy, but getting some speed. Anyway, it flipped and my spur gear stripped again. WTH! anyway, I think I need to get a roll bar/cage.
    Any opinions on the various styles of bars or cages that I have seen.
    Like the single bar over the top vs. a 3 way bar and a full cage.
    What about the body fitting on, any issues there.
    I have the 4909 model.

RC Champion
    Yea get the new era single bar...I have it on my slash works great and its light...

RC Champion
    With that wheel base you can get the one from hard body'z. It wont look right with a body because the sides are bowed out but it protects everything very well. As long as you don't get a bigger engine then 2.5R it will also protect the cooling head. Any bigger and you can land on the cooling head but i haven't ever hit hard enough to damage anything. With the hard body'z cage you really don't need a body. My truck always gets more attention than anything with a body up at the hobby shop.

RC Racer
    So I assume that you dont use any body at all. But from the looks of the pic, your engine still sticks out a little.
    I am pretty sure that i have the 3.3 engine. I assume that it is the 4909 model as it is the 2006 year, the 4908 started in 2008.
    I really need to check the s/n to see what model it is. the body says 3.3, the service man. says 2.5r. The guy at the LHS says 3.3 also. I have no freaking clue!!!
    what about this one?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tchlink:top:en

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    IMO there is no need for a cage. You stripped a spur gear? A cage will not help with that at all. Sounds like you have too much chassis flex, or you were running without a body on and gave your spur a case of road rash.
    I use to bash the living snot out of my Maxx. I am talking huge air, backflips, all sorts of crazy stuff. I had a cage on for a week, the quickly threw it into a corner of my shop.
    My truck sees more air than yours!!!

RC Champion
    RC raven has good products but the way it mounts is not as good as the Hard body'z. The HBZ cage mounts behind the bumper. When you hit something energy will be transferred to the rear mounts before going to a bulkhead or chassis. Also HBZ has a better warranty.

Cages do pay for them self.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RCOVERBOARD
    IMO there is no need for a cage. You stripped a spur gear? A cage will not help with that at all. Sounds like you have too much chassis flex, or you were running without a body on and gave your spur a case of road rash.
    That was indeed the case here. So maybe I had it coming and that a roll bar is not really needed. However, the single arm roll bar I have seem would certainly provide some nice support underneath the body when it does tip over.
    As for the chassis flex, the braces you are talking about. They are the 2 that run underneath the trani in the middle right?

RC Champion
    In the pic it is a 3.3. the 2.5r did sit under the cage. and i don't run a body. all they do is get scuffed up and collect dirt, rocks, and dust. i don't remember who makes it but it mounts like the HBZ cage but is shaped like the rc raven cage. If you want to run a body i would look for that cage.

I found that company. its called vg racing.
    Last edited by ReaperGN; 08-27-2009 at 09:17 PM.

RC Racer
    That looks real nice. But I wonder how much of a pita it would be to work on the car with it on. The front and rear look easy enough. But it would have to come for the internal components.

RC Champion
    I do have to pull the cage to do trans work but it only takes about 2 mins to pull the 8 screws on the bumpers. What it takes to remove the bumper mount cages should not turn you away.

RC Qualifier
    you could do the rc raven cage but cover certain panels in sheet metal the mount it using the body posts
    Use your Keyboard, OMG sounds Girly

RC Racer
    I saw this savage cage on ebay. half the price, but does it do the same job, or as good of a job
    http://cgi.ebay.com/HPI-Savage-Stain...4.c0.m14.l1262

RC Qualifier
    thats an rcraven cage that may or may not fit the tmaxx

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by PyroRc
    thats an rcraven cage that may or may not fit the tmaxx
    err. cant catch a break!!

RC Qualifier
    its a savvy one thats the reason . if you can find a maxx one for that price jump on it the rcraven is a very good cage

RC Qualifier

RC Champion
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ROLLER-CAGE-FOR-...d=p4999.c0.m14

this was the cheapest I could find for a bumper mount cage.

RC Qualifier
    one the cage i found is cheaper 2 is bulkhead mounted. therefore it won't break and will be more structurally bonded to the chassis

RC Qualifier
    Just go with new era roll bar and a wing mount... Then you can run with your body on and the roll bar and wing will stop the cooling head from ever touching the ground.
    http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi...r&part_id=3273

RC Qualifier
    that works too

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilots66
    Just go with new era roll bar and a wing mount... Then you can run with your body on and the roll bar and wing will stop the cooling head from ever touching the ground.
    http://www.neweramodels.com/item.cgi...r&part_id=3273
    I agree. In my opinion, a roll cage is a waste of money and is just additional weight that isn't needed. Plus, I don't like the way they look. I would also recommend a roll bar, wing mount and wing. I run a Full Force RC roll bar, a reinforced Teckno wing mount, and a Losi wing. I think this setup looks a lot better than a roll cage, and gives just about as much, if not as much protection as a roll cage. And I'm pretty sure that it is lighter than most roll cages. The roll bar was $20, the wing mount was $20, and the wing was $5 (all three prices are approximately what I paid, without taxes and stuff). I'm not sure how much roll cages cost, but they couple I have seen cost more than the setup I am running.

Roll cages in 1:1 cars and trucks re-enforces the frame and makes it more rigid. The RC roll cages I see do nothing of the sort and just add more weight and make your bodies crack as well as your bulks and or the chassis itself. The New Era roll cage seems to connect to the chassis with a plate and I do believe that is the only roll cage that does that. Still not needed though....

I've been there and done that. Learned the hard way. Ever since I went to using a good thick body (Proline) and a wing I've had much less damage to my TMAXX.

just remember Newton's law of inertia. The more mass at the same velocity will have more force at impact. In other words the heavier the RC the more of a whack it will get in a crash....
    Last edited by Nitronaught; 08-28-2009 at 01:39 PM.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Qualifier
    I had a roll cage on my 4908 Maxx for about 2 days and it has not seen the light of day since then. I was heavy and really did not add much protection. It made the truck handle horribly as well. Use a ming mount and wing with a roll bar. and you will be happy with the protection and performance that you get.
    4908x2
    MERV
    Slash4
    Slash2
    Creeper
    miniSlash

RC Champion
    Im not sure which roll cage all these people bought but it sounds terrible. My HBZ cage was worth every dollar. Some don't like the cage look and some do. It all comes down to preference. They do add extra weight but if you are still running plastic bulk heads, rails, and shock towers you wont notice any difference in performance.

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN
    Im not sure which roll cage all these people bought but it sounds terrible. My HBZ cage was worth every dollar. Some don't like the cage look and some do. It all comes down to preference. They do add extra weight but if you are still running plastic bulk heads, rails, and shock towers you wont notice any difference in performance.
    ReaperGN, where does the roll cage connect to, is it screwed into the chassis? Where does it add stiffness tothe chassis? How much does it weigh?

Your running a Mid block Red Dot Picco.... You might not be noticing the difference in performance dur to having a larger motor than a 3.3.

But if that roll cage is just tying into the bumper mounts or the bulks that is exactly where all the force of a crash will be transferred. It's just basic science.

I'm just stating my experiences as we all are. I hope you enjoy you cage, and don't forget to get some decent diffs like I advised you when you were posting about your new engine.... I don't want to brag, but I've been bashing for 4 years with my TMAXX, I know own 2 Predators and a Mugen MBX5T. I've been racing for 3 years and have jumped off mounds of dirt/rock over 25 feet high.

I've been around... Just ask,..
    All Lives Matter

RC Champion
    a bumper mount cage is meant for roll overs. not to stiffen a chassis. and when i first got it i was running a .15 maxx with a 2.5r and it had no issues with handling or weight.

RC Qualifier
    well i had a cage on my maxx (now my dads) and it defended the rig excellent. its saved me and him more than 6 gas tanks and so many other things but my dad really sucks at driving it all depends on your skill level. my revo does fine on the roll bar/wing combo but the maxx needs the cage.

RC Champion
    If you go with a New Era, make sure you know which model you have. They have a different size for the 4908. This is mine before all the scrapes on its bar, and then with. Notice the scrapes on the engine's protective cap. Those are from running without the body. With the body on, the motor does not touch. A wing would add even more protection and I will install one soon.

T-Maxx 2.5/3.3
    Supermaxx 4.6 Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN
    a bumper mount cage is meant for roll overs. not to stiffen a chassis. and when i first got it i was running a .15 maxx with a 2.5r and it had no issues with handling or weight.
    So you take a nice, hard roll, the stress is not spread across the body, body mounts and wing stay, it gets centralized onto the bulks (even if connected to the bumper mounts). You are concentrating the force of impact to a smaller area which increases the risk of breakage.

I had a Nice RCRaven cage on my TMAXX with aluminum bulks. When I was a newbie I forgot to turn my receiver on and started it right up. It went right into a malbox post at full speed and snapped the stock chassis right at the front mounting posts.... Had I just had my Proline body and a Wing I doubt the chassis would have been totaled.

Here's a pic of my ealier days. The chassis you see here is hanging on my wall, totally useless, and the motor mount did break so it did it's job, the cage just help destroy my chassis

Last edited by Nitronaught; 08-31-2009 at 04:03 PM.
    All Lives Matter

RC Qualifier
    Unless its the roll bar with a wing I think that you wil notice a big difference in the way your truck will handle with a cage on it. I did that is the reason that I no longer use one. I still have it. I just don't use it. I am not saying that you can't make it handle correctly you can but you will have to replace springs shock oil and maybe even go to a 4 shock set up.

[IMG][/IMG]This is the cage that I have. I don't know who makes it but it was extended to fit the 4908 Maxx. Still looks like new I cut and fit the aluminum panels.
    4908x2
    MERV
    Slash4
    Slash2
    Creeper
    miniSlash