RC Competitor

My Aluminum Slash Upgrades...????uhhh

Hello i am going to buy myself a stock slash and wanting to upgrade it not fully but basically enough to make it tough so that if i hit something it won't get totalled i also wanna keep it as stock as possible just minor not costly upgrades to make my slash tough. Thank you for your time guys!
    *oh and i'd like to keep it fast too!
    I drive money buckets..I think they're called RC's

RC Champion
    RPM
    http://www.rpmrcproducts.com/product.../Slash.htm#top
    everything but the gear cover

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Adding alum really wont make a difference..actually..ill bet you a stock slash will last more than a alum slash...the alum parts you should have, are the castor blocks, shocks, and bearing carriers, maybe the bell crank to. Leave all the rest RPM Their gear covers, arms, mounts, bumpers...well everything is great..except the castors.
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Competitor
    Thanks so Far anything else?

RC Champion
    +1 on what arvint said, alum caster blocks should be first along wit alum or rpm carriers. i really like big bore shocks over stock to, alot smoother and the shafts dont bend so easy.
    rtr slash 4x4
    2s lipo
    some other rc stuff

RC Competitor
    ok but rpm stuff is it aluminum? it looks milky blue? what is it?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Its plastic, more specifically, nylon. you WANT plastic. you DONT want aluminum..(Well in most places)..as aluminum transfers the force elsewhere, and is heavier.
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by arvint
    Adding alum really wont make a difference..actually..ill bet you a stock slash will last more than a alum slash...the alum parts you should have, are the castor blocks, shocks, and bearing carriers, maybe the bell crank to. Leave all the rest RPM Their gear covers, arms, mounts, bumpers...well everything is great..except the castors.
    The castors sucked for me. I bought them, and the first time I took my slash out they broke. And I was only going at like half throttle (before I got the VXL).
    Free all none violent drug offenders!

RC Competitor
    dang great tips guys TYVM!~ ANYMORE?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You might want to go VXL and lipo if you can..you also might want 2.2 truck tires, as the extra width helps balance.
    EMBE/ Savage X
    x2 BL slash
    Ultra lx1e

RC Champion
    i think rpm arms and alum carriers and casters is the best idea than alum or rpm towers.
    rtr slash 4x4
    2s lipo
    some other rc stuff

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by arvint
    Its plastic, more specifically, nylon. you WANT plastic. you DONT want aluminum..(Well in most places)..as aluminum transfers the force elsewhere, and is heavier.
    What about an aluminum chassis, would that transfer any unwanted energy to any unwanted areas?
    When you lose radio control at top speed, RUN!

RC Qualifier
    do NOT upgrade for aluminum for "durability".. i made that mistake on my stampede, and instead of breaking a 3 dollar part, i ended up bending like 80 bucks in metal parts the first curb i hit..

There are a few minor metal upgrades that are worth while.. belcrank, steering casters.. motor guard.. but aside from that, adding metal is NOT going to make it stronger..

metal has no flex.. and if you hit something you want your car to absorb the energy and flex... having metal will just bend and ruin pins, bend arms, or simply transfer energy to the next plastic piece and snap that.

Listen to the advice here.. stay away from replacing too much with metal.. stick to quality parts such as RPM's accessories and you will be thankful you did the first time you bounce off a curb with no damage..

HackNSlash: Its possible.. you dont get hit in the chassis a whole lot, so its probably pretty safe to upgrade that to metal.. but, land a jump wrong and if the force is transferred through the bumper to the chassis, then youll almost certainly end up bending it a bit if the impact was hard enough.

RC Qualifier
    On my slash, I only have aluminum casters and carriers. I used to break those parts all the time. Like once a week. Then I got some RPM ones and sometimes they would break aswell.Thats when I decided to metal on those parts.
    Free all none violent drug offenders!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Telnets
    There are a few minor metal upgrades that are worth while.. belcrank, steering casters.. motor guard.. but aside from that, adding metal is NOT going to make it stronger..
    i think metal is great for carriers, casters, bellcrank, camber links, bulkhead, transmission (+ shocktowers if ur racing)..

as long as you use plastic a-arms (rpm).
    rtr slash 4x4
    2s lipo
    some other rc stuff

RC Racer
    +2 with arvint.. but I would also recommend hardened Hinge Pin set to the things arvint mentioned replacing the E-Clips with the locknuts (don't forget to use thread locker) Buy a good alum rear shock tower..it's not for durability but so you'll have more adjustment for the shocks position in case you need to adjust them..

RC Enthusiast
    I smapped an RPM a-arm hitting a curb at about 35mph on a slight angle, but that isn't the parts' fault.

I have just about all RPM now, and in general, it's not bad stuff. I don't think aluminum would help, it'll just transfer the force to the next plastic part in line and snap that one if the aluminum doesn't snap first.

Also- I nixed my RPM front bumper- it was too tight. The stock Slash bumper has the little inner bumper oval attached to it- more force dispersion. My neighbor hit my sitting-still-Slash head on in his Stampede last night at 35mph, mine drove away, his broke in half- Literally. Walked to his truck with the front end of his beloved Stampede in the left hand, the rest in the left. Broke the chassis completely in half right across the front two servo screws. I think if I had the RPM front bumper on it, it would have cost me some parts, and probably a chassis as well. I'm convinced the stock Slash bumper saved my truck.
    Last edited by Joe Dirt; 08-29-2009 at 09:21 PM.
    (2) 2WD (1) 4WD Slashes ** Velineon ** Upgrades