Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Champion

ERBE vs Savage Flux Showdown Article in XRC

Has anyone read it yet? Sorry, I didn't agree with the article all that much, and it kind of bugged me considering I am a huge ERBE fan. For one, you really get the feeling that the XRC is really nitro-biased. They talk about electrics like they are still toys and don't take near the skill it takes to run a nitro.

Plus they way the conducted their testing was kind of a joke....For the "Race" testing, they raced the two trucks on not even a real track, and because one went of course and they guy fell behind, they claimed the other a winner. Seems to me like the driver lost the race, not the truck.

I don't know, maybe it was totally me reading into it, because I am admittedly a Traxxas E-Revo Brushless Edition fan, but I think even the Savy guys would feel the same way about the article. And, like I mentioned, the way they talk about electrics is really annoying. I know, they did have a brushless buyers guide in the same issue, but even that was pretty abbreviated.

Any thoughts on that article, or my comments?
    Eat my road grit, liver lips! -Clark W. Griswold

I do not get that magazine. sounds like it would be interesting in a bad way to read...

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Champion
    I'll see if I can scan it in to show you. You are right in how you described it though....interesting in a bad way.

RC Qualifier
    They might just be more biased towards HPI cus thats who throws em more money. Who knows. I dont own both, only the revo, but come on. Anything that has the old type suspension like the Savage does, is out of its league compared to the do it all well E-Revo.

Maybe I'm biased, IDK

RC Champion
    That is why when I initially scanned it and saw that the Savage won on the "Race" or "Track" portion, I was blown away. Then I read how they did it, and was even more disappointed. I was really hoping for a true showdown comparison, regardless of who won. Well, maybe we can hope for RCCA or RCD to do a good one, although RCCA is busy loading their issues with boat stuff these days. Time will tell.

RC Qualifier
    Oh Man, so true about the boats in RCCA. lawls

Sounds like XRC rigged it so the Savvy would win. Cus on a regular track, the Revo would be sending the savage post cards it would be so far ahead.

And you would think that being a journalist in the land based RC hobby that the writers would be the ones championing and pioneering the new strides in electric power. Seeing how they of all peeps should be in the know.

I only check out XRC for the chicks anyway. And it looks like it'll stay that way.

I read it and I also didn't agree with the article... Article: http://rapidshare.com/files/26364086...the_TITANS.rar

You cannot compare the ERBE with the Savage Flux... Those are two different designs, like apples and oranges...

It would be nice a comparison between a Savage Flux and an E-Maxx with a MMM combo...

PS: password: 07
    Last edited by danielhr77; 08-31-2009 at 07:08 PM.

I could not open the file...

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Champion
    I've raced a savage flux and the guy was nearly 10 laps behind me in the a-main (20min). The truck even w/ good tires is sloppy on the track (a real track) from what I have seen it's not even a competition. I'm sure the SF has some strong points but racing on a track doesn't seem to be one of them.
    I love you MAN! Need a hug?

RC Qualifier
    Each is too there own. No revo could bash like the savage but no savage could race like a revo
    Use your Keyboard, OMG sounds Girly

RC Racer
    Rc car magazine did a similar test and the savage won that too.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by carraig042
    I could not open the file...

-Brett
    Same, it's a .rar file and I don't have the program to open it. I'd really appreciate it if someone could convert it and reupload as a .zip. I kinda want to read it, this seems interesting.
    MMM E-Revo
    "Holy crap look at it go!"

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by PyroRc
    Each is too there own. No revo could bash like the savage but no savage could race like a revo
    If the savage flux is like my savage X SS then ya a revo could. I've only had 2 gallons on my X SS and I'm not willing to put anymore into it. Bent dog bones, broken a-arms, bent TVPS, stripped clutch bells and that crappy phillips hardware. Thats why I'm slowly but surely putting it back together after a complete tear down to clean and its going on the bay.
    What shall I put here?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MXrider
    Same, it's a .rar file and I don't have the program to open it. I'd really appreciate it if someone could convert it and reupload as a .zip. I kinda want to read it, this seems interesting.
    Download "winrar" from downloads.com
    Last edited by djkurious; 08-31-2009 at 09:59 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Just update your WinZip...11.0 and up unzips rar files just fine.
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Competitor
    The titles misleading "120 MPH Battle!".
    They explain the two trucks combined equal 120+mph.

There tests are unrealistic but in the end they say the ERBE is the overall winner.

RC Champion
    I sent a PM to the Executive Editor of XRC to see if he wanted to come and post in this thread, and maybe defend his testing methods and results. I just would like to read a real showdown on these two trucks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well, you just have to keep in mind that you are testing two completely different trucks...the ERBE is a 1:10 MT/Truggy hybrid with an advanced suspension design and the Savage Flux is a 1:8 MT with a suspension design that is decades old...both having their own strong and weak points. technically, you can't test the two trucks as equals, because they are so much different and far from equal. It simply comes down to which style the tester likes best.

The only fair way to test/compare these trucks is to use numbers and averages...by that I mean let 100 different people test each truck and then give their results. Once all tests are complete, average the results to see which truck comes out on top. You could use less people, but the results would be less accurate.

RC Qualifier
    EBRE owners are much more vocal on forums than Savage Flux owners, I guess you have a lot of time while your EBRE is waiting parts for repairs!
    HPI Savage Flux
    Traxxas Slash

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by fb5b
    EBRE owners are much more vocal on forums than Savage Flux owners, I guess you have a lot of time while your EBRE is waiting parts for repairs!
    The Savage is no doubt more durable than the E-Revo. Likewise, a Ford F350 is more durable than a Formula 1 race car... I'll still take the F1 though.

Seems that Savage owners have enough time to post in their forums as well as ours AND are envous enough bless us with their presence. I can't blame you, I'd be envous too if I owned a Savage.

RC Racer
    A youtube erbe vs savage flux: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UXqzqKKwJc

Quote Originally Posted by Erbeplatinum
    The flux kills the emaxx in every way
    I don't think so that's why it would be nice to have a comparison between them... We don't have any Savage Flux here in Argentina to compare to my MMM E-Maxx... But, to tell you the truth, I couldn't find any LOSI, HPI or Traxxas truck that could match the ERBE...

And, this is the article again: http://rapidshare.com/files/27423397...ITANS.pdf.html
    Last edited by danielhr77; 09-01-2009 at 06:21 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I must admit I had a tough time initially choosing whether to buy the ERBE or the Flux and Squirrel's comparison on youtube was one of the many videos I watched to help inform my decision. I gotta say it annoyed the crap out of me how he completely glossed over the fact that the ERBE comes stock with 2.4ghz vs AM on the Flux because he was going to swap it out anyway, but made a big deal about the wheelie bar on the Savvy. So is spending another $18 on getting an optional wheelie bar for the ERBE too much to bear vs $100++ for a mandatory (IMO) new radio system for the savvy? How is that helping people to make an informed decision? The hex vs phillips hardware and how easy/difficult each truck was to work on probably should have rated a mention as well.
    Despite my intention just to bash and the seemingly unanimous chorus that the savvy was the better basher and the revo the better racer, in the end I decided on the one that I thought would spend more time rubber side down. Running around all over the place to flip your truck back off it's lid just wasn't my idea of a bashing good time. I also trawled forums for people having trouble with both trucks and at the time actually found a lot more people breaking parts on the flux - particularly the diffs. Both seemed to have a fairly equal share of smoked ESCs, although perhaps a few more to the Flux due to it's extra weight. Of course the revo had more than it's share of broken drive shaft stories as well, but I'd rather swap out 4 of those than one diff.
    Looking back I'm extremely happy with the decision I made, but I do still like the Flux for it's monster truckness, and maybe one day I'll add it to the collection. I'll just need to make sure Tony's Screws has Flux kits in stock and order truck, screws and radio at the same time.
    BE the Revo

The Savage is no doubt more durable than the E-Revo.
    I have doubts about that. But only having the nitro version of the Savage, my opinion might be a little skewed. I do have to add, I was faster around my backyard track, with the Savage. But had alot more laps with it. Go figure.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Qualifier
    Lol, they would reccomend the flux for a racer? No racer uses stock setup and the flux was better on the autocross just because the revo had the stock steering stop. They also wanted to use stock setups and on the high speed run they reduced the flux's preload? Why not use the included steering stop with the revo and a 54t spur that's included? Too hard for a beginner?

And the paintball test was lame.

RC Champion
    That was a lame article, "real world paintball test???" Come on, are there really people that stupid out there?? We know who paid off who for that one....LAME!!!!!!
    1717/XL2 EREVO

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by 2IS
    The Savage is no doubt more durable than the E-Revo.
    Yeah, I think I have to argue this point too. I have never owned a Savage, but I can say the ERBE is about as durable as it gets. I don't see how the Savy could be that much more durable. I have beat the heck out of my ERBE, and even though I have broken a few part here and there, I think any truck would have broken the same parts without question, if not more. This is where a real showdown comparison would have made a difference. If you look at what they said broke on the ERBE, most can be remided easily:

-Wheel fell off. We have all had that happen, and now we all know how to deal with it.....grooves in the wheel nut, a little LocTite, or the nuts with the rubber o-ring.

-Tires Shredding. Again, we know this happens and everyone has gone to something other than stock because of this.

Plus, the article that was linked to above, isn't even the article I was referring to either. That must be the RCD article, whereas I am talking about the XRC article. I'll see if I can post it tonight when I get home.

RC Qualifier
    The Flux is tough as nails but it aint no racer
    HPI Savage Flux
    Traxxas Slash

RC Champion
    ^Right. No argument there. But the ERBE is tough as nails too, and can be an awesome racer also.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chachi_RC
    ^Right. No argument there. But the ERBE is tough as nails too, and can be an awesome racer also.
    Yep !

RC Champion
    Thats gotta be one of the dumbest vs. comparisons I have EVER seen .

Some of these mags amaze me , but if they were honest then they probably wouldnt get many more R/C's to test .
    At WARN 80% and climbing !

RC Qualifier
    lol, i was running my ERBE and i smacked a brick hiding in a pile of grass. I actually broke the brick and the revo flipped but was fine. I'm running rpm a-arms but it smacked into it dead center. in my emaxx that wouldve ended my day. The bulkhead brace on the revo makes it very n00b hazard friendly

RC Qualifier
    How many of you guys have run both of them?

Comparing a car that we drive to a car that we don't is a nonsense, it doesn't teach anything. I suggest you to earn both before thinking of comparing.
    Last edited by Pulse; 09-02-2009 at 06:30 AM.
    Just play.

RC Champion
    I've driven a Nitro Savage but it wasn't mine so didn't bash it to hard. It was pretty poor if I'm honest. Handling was mushy and slow, acceleration was poor and top speed wasn't impressive either!

The Flux is based on the same suspension setup so the handling would still be poor, it's heavier too so wouldn't be as fast as the ERBE.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusteh101
    I've driven a Nitro Savage but it wasn't mine so didn't bash it to hard. It was pretty poor if I'm honest. Handling was mushy and slow, acceleration was poor and top speed wasn't impressive either!

The Flux is based on the same suspension setup so the handling would still be poor, it's heavier too so wouldn't be as fast as the ERBE.
    This is still a thought and not a fact, the speed depends on many parameters. That's what I'm noticing here .
    Last edited by Pulse; 09-02-2009 at 07:45 AM.
    Just play.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I have driven nitro Savages and brushless savages, nitro Revos and brushless Revos, nitro Maxxes and brushless Maxxes, all in the same locations...

...I didn't like any of the Savages, period, and IMO they just aren't very good...the Revo is far better IMO.

RC Qualifier
    ..for you IMO.

"they just aren't very good" -> what does that mean?
    Just play.

RC Qualifier
    You remind me of kids saying "mine is better mine is better". Come on would you be so nice and argue a little?

We all have different likings, if not there would be only ONE rc that would be sold on earth, the BEST one. We all know it doesn't mean anything right? So we can only talk about which one we prefer and why, as soon as we tried them.. Repeating all the time what we read isn't learning or teaching or anything.

To me the ERBE is the perfect car for my use, but maybe -I say maybe- if I tried the Flux I would change my mind I don't know.. They sell the Flux right, so there must be good reasons for that. And these reasons have as much value as the reasons why we own an ERBE.
    Just play.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulse
    And these reasons have as much value as the reasons why we own an ERBE.
    Personally, the Savage is kind of cool, but I really think it's sales come because of the "cult-like" following that it has. The people who buy it would buy it no matter what because they just like the Savage. From a strictly performance standpoint, I don't think the Savage competes with the ERBE. I am in no way knocking the Savage, just saying what I think the reasons are that it sells like it does.

I guess I equate it to why I would buy a 2004 Ford Mustang Cobra over some other more modern car for the same price, that all in all can out perform the Cobra. I just like that car. I think the Savage is like that. They will take it over anything else, regardless of it's faults.

Make sense?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Why not just lock that thread...
    World fastest E-revo 91.2mph / Revo 75mph
    ABmods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast