Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: SPC Packs.

  1. #1
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,509

    SPC Packs.

    Just got off the phone with Tom from SPC and ordered up two of their new 2S 2200mah 28c packs. They also now have 3s 1400mah 28c packs. Yes they are a little more expensive than the beloved *****/******* packs but I still believe you get what you pay for and the SPC packs are worth their very reasonable price.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    486
    I love my SPC packs for my rustlers, but i just cant justify that price, i can buy 3 *****'s for that price... i respect spc and thier quality, but they are starting to look more and more like the new maxamps.

  3. #3
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    202
    Not to mention you can only charge those SPC packs at 1c. On the back of ******* packs you can charge 2c

  4. #4
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,509
    Quote Originally Posted by ThacoVXL
    I love my SPC packs for my rustlers, but i just cant justify that price, i can buy 3 *****'s for that price... i respect spc and thier quality, but they are starting to look more and more like the new maxamps.
    Dude if you prefer the ***** then by alll means use them but comparing SPC to MaxAmps is just flat WRONG. The SPC pack is less $ than I paid for a 2s 1800mah 20c Reedy pack I got from my LHS. So more battery for less $ and you want to compare SPC to Maxamps??!? Just wrong dude.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  5. #5
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    149
    I'm getting what I paid for. My *****s are still going strong after 50 cycles on each (4). I know that's not something spectacular. But, I'll let you know when I hit around 100 cycles how they are doing.

    How are *****'s inferior to other lipo's?
    typing 1st amendment gets you 60% helping ppl 0%

  6. #6
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesaw Jenkins
    I'm getting what I paid for. My *****s are still going strong after 50 cycles on each (4). I know that's not something spectacular. But, I'll let you know when I hit around 100 cycles how they are doing.

    How are *****'s inferior to other lipo's?
    50 cycles, 100 cycles? I have owned over a dozen different SPC lipo packs and every one of them has gone well past 350 cycles before I lost performance. Mind you they still worked and some were sold off and used for much longer with lower performance than when new.

    *****/******* in my opinion are a very good value lipo and they by all accounts perform well. That does not mean they are on par with higher end packs. This is only my opinion and I know many ***** owners swear by them and apparently with good reason. I just think it is naive to believe a $12 lipo is equal to or better than a true high end pack. Plus I give some value to dealing with a US based distributor who I know from experience stands behind their product with excellent customer support.

    Please let's not make this another battery flame war. If you prefer the Hobby City packs by all means use them. I prefer spending a little more for what is in my opinion better quality and support. We should be happy we have these choices and are free to chose rather than turn it into a flame war.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  7. #7
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    149
    That's cool but I asked how they were inferior to other brands of lipo's. Other than dealing with the Chinese if you have a problem. I'm not trying to start a flame war, I'm just wondering how they are inferior to others.
    typing 1st amendment gets you 60% helping ppl 0%

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesaw Jenkins
    That's cool but I asked how they were inferior to other brands of lipo's. Other than dealing with the Chinese if you have a problem. I'm not trying to start a flame war, I'm just wondering how they are inferior to others.
    Performance wise they do not seem to be inferior, they appear to be true to their specs which is a good thing. In my OPINION I have seen some quality control issues with them. When they first hit the scene they had some very bad soldering problems. It was bad enough they admitted it and posted so on their website and addressed the issue. Since then there have been random accounts of the Hobby City lipos venting for no obvious reasons. I have seen this more iwth the 1/10th scale size packs though.

    Seems I cant say this enough. I AM NOT BASHING HOBBY CITY, I just think it is wrong to think a value pack like they are is equal to or better than some true high end packs. Just like a new Vette is an awesome performance car for the $ it is simply not equal to a top of the line Ferrari. Personally I would rather own the Vette but I dont try to fool myself into thinking it will out perform the Ferrari.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  9. #9
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesaw Jenkins
    I'm getting what I paid for. My *****s are still going strong after 50 cycles on each (4). I know that's not something spectacular. But, I'll let you know when I hit around 100 cycles how they are doing.

    How are *****'s inferior to other lipo's?
    Dont worry about it man Ive tried with this guy....For some reason he thinks the more money you spend the better the product will be.

    BTW: The new vette Z06 or ZL1 would give that ferrari a run for its money.

  10. #10
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,509
    Quote Originally Posted by proraptor
    Dont worry about it man Ive tried with this guy....For some reason he thinks the more money you spend the better the product will be.

    BTW: The new vette Z06 or ZL1 would give that ferrari a run for its money.
    Why do you need to make this a personal thing man? I have not bashed on the Hobby City and am simply giving another option. Why do you think any other option beside Hobby City is wrong? Amazing how closed minded some people are.

    BTW I love the Z06 but if you think it is as fast as a top of the line Ferrari...well that explains a lot
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  11. #11
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    1,869
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZlGMX8G3B4

    Since we're already off topic, thought I'd throw this in. Sorry Dad, but it does outperform a Ferrari. Granted it's a drag race.
    BMW E21 323i.. My baby.

  12. #12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,509
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky8333
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZlGMX8G3B4

    Since we're already off topic, thought I'd throw this in. Sorry Dad, but it does outperform a Ferrari. Granted it's a drag race.
    ZR1 is not a ZO6 the turbo makes a huge difference and the Ferrari tested is not the top of the line Ferrari. Compare the Z06 to say a Ferrari F60 and see who wins
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  13. #13
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    149
    I need a comparison of the cells inside the packs. How much different are they in terms of quality of other batteries?
    The reason why I mentioned the cycles that I have on my packs is I have seen people say *****'s are good for around 100 cycles before they start losing performance. These are my first *****'s and my first lipo's.
    Help me understand why with facts on how these batteries are better than *****s. Thanks.
    typing 1st amendment gets you 60% helping ppl 0%

  14. #14
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    1,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj
    ZR1 is not a ZO6 the turbo makes a huge difference and the Ferrari tested is not the top of the line Ferrari. Compare the Z06 to say a Ferrari F60 and see who wins
    He did say ZL1 which I am imagining he was going for was the ZR1.

    Also, you want to compare an F1 car to a Street car? Derp Derp I wonder who'll win . I thought we were thinking reasonably.
    BMW E21 323i.. My baby.

  15. #15
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj
    Why do you need to make this a personal thing man? I have not bashed on the Hobby City and am simply giving another option. Why do you think any other option beside Hobby City is wrong? Amazing how closed minded some people are.

    BTW I love the Z06 but if you think it is as fast as a top of the line Ferrari...well that explains a lot
    There is nothing personal man its just you have limited to no experience with ********* lipos yet you say with a passion that SPC and other high priced lipos are better quality. You dont have any facts to back up your statements and thats the problem. In my opinion you are the one being close minded. Ive tried the higher end lipos an found them to be no better than lipos from hobby city. If you had equipment to prove that the ********* lipos were inferior or many personal experiences with balancing/puffing/ reliability issues than your opinion would be valid.

    Did know we were talking about high end ferraris.....If thats the case look into the lingenfelter vettes. Not sure what kind of HP that high end ferrari is pumping but lingenfelter can get 1,000 plus HP out of a vette for around $75,000 on top of the price price of the car.

  16. #16
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Dadx2mj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    21,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesaw Jenkins
    I need a comparison of the cells inside the packs. How much different are they in terms of quality of other batteries?
    The reason why I mentioned the cycles that I have on my packs is I have seen people say *****'s are good for around 100 cycles before they start losing performance. These are my first *****'s and my first lipo's.
    Help me understand why with facts on how these batteries are better than *****s. Thanks.
    I an not offer you hard facts or data like I have tried to say repeatedly these are my opinions. IF the ***** packs are good for 100 cycles that would be evidence of what I have been saying about the over all quality and getting what you pay for. Like I have mentioned every SPC lipo I have owned (over a dozen) have gone for well over 350 cycles. [b]IF[/ib] this is all accurate then you pay 3x more for the SPC pack compared to the ***** but the pack lasts 3x+ longer. I really cant speak to how long the *****s last though so this is still pretty much speculation on my part at this point.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

  17. #17
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    1,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj
    I an not offer you hard facts or data like I have tried to say repeatedly these are my opinions. IF the ***** packs are good for 100 cycles that would be evidence of what I have been saying about the over all quality and getting what you pay for. Like I have mentioned every SPC lipo I have owned (over a dozen) have gone for well over 350 cycles. [b]IF[/ib] this is all accurate then you pay 3x more for the SPC pack compared to the ***** but the pack lasts 3x+ longer. I really cant speak to how long the *****s last though so this is still pretty much speculation on my part at this point.
    I've got 500 cycles out of one of my 2s 4000 hardcases. Still balanced to 4.20 per cell. Other 2 are at 400 cycles each.
    BMW E21 323i.. My baby.

  18. #18
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    16,917
    Let's put out the sparks before the fire takes over this thread.

    Batteries are similar to religion, as both topics are almost guaranteed to end in flames. This thread has already flared up once.
    Last edited by Misbehavin'; 09-02-2009 at 12:10 PM.
    Be vewy vewy quiet,
    I'm hunting trolls...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •