Thread: Leaking shocks

RC Competitor

Leaking shocks

A few months ago my son broke his last shock cap as I finally had had enough and bought aluminum shock caps. In the process of installing them to make him feel a bit involved with his truck (he's only 8) I had him put the caps on. I fear he may have gotten shock oil all over the threads. Shortly after installing these, I read somewhere on this forum that doing that generally leads to leaking and that's what I have going on now. Is there anyway to remedy this issue? Can I just empty the shock body, was off the cap and body threads, refill and carefully put the caps on? Or will I need something a bit stronger than water to clean the oil. Thanks.

No, big bores aren't an option at this time. The wife is keeping a tight eye on RC expenditures. Just got new batteries and I forsee the need for new tires soon so I can't justify the shocks.

RC Qualifier
    I get shock oil on my threads all the time and ive never had a leaking problem.. in fact, i fill my shocks to the top, put the cap on, and just wipe the excess away when im finished.. wierd..

If you did want to clean them, im sure a drop or two of simple dish soap would get rid of any oils left behind..

RC Competitor
    Maybe it's just bad luck with the fit and not the oil on the threads. I gues i'll find out shortly when I clean them up and refill them. Thanks for the reply.

taflon tape on the thread will help.
    Slash PE & Ja-two.

RC Competitor
    I heard that aluminum shock caps don't fit 100% correctly with the stock shocks and are actually meant for the big bore shocks. This is probably why your sons shocks are leaking. If big bores are not an option right, just monitor the shocks every couple runs and make sure hes got plenty of oil. If they get dirt on them , let them dry and then spray them off with compressed air.
    When you lose radio control at top speed, RUN!

RC Qualifier
    If the bladder in the shock is cocked it will leak.
    Built Ford tuff!

RC Competitor
    ya very true. If thats the case, you could probably buy a shock rebuild kit for cheap.

RC Competitor
    Cool thanks for all the replies.

RC Competitor
    no problem hope you everything goes okay.

Sometimes if you tighten the caps too much it'll rip the bladders and cause them to leak.

RC Qualifier