Flogging the dead Avitar Horse....

I want an Avitar!!!!
    There are two reason I can think of not to have one:
    1: Server Space/Bandwidth.
    2: Morrons that have an overtly offensive avitar.

The best way to control this is one of two ways (I'm into making lists today )
    1: You only get an Avitar after you have been on the forums for so much time, lets say six months, or after you have so many posts, 200 is a good round number. Both of these mile-stones say that you are part of this community and won't likely do something retarted to get kicked off.
    2: Have a yearly membership for the site that allows greatter accessablity and the ability to customize our profiles a bit more, like having an avitar. What is free now would still be free, but the paying members could get access to a Traxxas engineer forum for direct answers to their questions; and do like some other sites to and have give-a-ways for the paying members. I'm thinking $10 a year would be worth it, maybe $20, but that would be pushing it.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    1. Post count is arbitrary. I can post in 200 threads in a week(If i just trolled and spammed). All it does is create spam, useless threads and posts. Time limit isn't bad though.
    2. Traxxas prides itself on having a community behind it that can help others out. If you start paying to be in a community you can't really do that anymore or proclaim it. I have had a lot of problems with non-traxxas vehicles but they don't have forums or anything so i have to go googling to diagnose my problem. With traxxas, i come on here, write a post for about 5 minutes and within a couple days i know whats wrong and how to go about fixing it.

One of the main reasons we do not have avatars is becuase it is the host server where that is set. Before the new forums(these forums) we did not have avatars at all. The server just doesn't allow it until a gazillion posts or until your an admin/moderator. Another is that it would take a long time to go through and look at everyone's avatar to make sure they are all right. That is very time consuming.

I dont understand why people put up such a fuss for something petty, a picture the size of your thumbnail
    Just Lax'in

RC Champion
    Stop wasting Traxxas time with Avatar talk and get back to harrasing them on my new 4tec.

Quote Originally Posted by slowenuff
    Stop wasting Traxxas time with Avatar talk and get back to harrasing them on my new 4tec.
    One battle at a time... I'm guess Traxxas' next be thing will be a boat, they haven't produced a new one in a long time...

Like I said, what is free now should be free if there is a pay-option (it'd be nice if peeps actually read the thread they were commenting on), but the pay side of it would give more access, and allow avitars.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott
    (it'd be nice if peeps actually read the thread they were commenting on),
    I was commenting on your idea. I am sorry that my opinion doesn't agree with yours. Truth be told, there will always be neigh-sayers to anything you do in life. In this argument i am that neigh-sayer. I will stand behind what i wrote and will add some more...

Why shouldn't (in your world) allow everyone access to the "members only" forum? Your narrowing your audience to people who can pay 10$ a year. Imho that is a big turnoff and i would not buy products from a company that acts like that.

The cost of going to a new server vs. the cost of a membership i don't think would be any gain.
    Please, don't insult my intelligence i know what i am reading and what i am writing and if I see a mistake I will own up to it. I do not believe i have though.
    Just Lax'in

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrotastic
    Why shouldn't (in your world) allow everyone access to the "members only" forum? Your narrowing your audience to people who can pay 10$ a year. Imho that is a big turnoff and i would not buy products from a company that acts like that.

The cost of going to a new server vs. the cost of a membership i don't think would be any gain.
    I agree with nitrotastic, who wants to pay to ask questions on the internet?

There are quite a few sites that run this model and it works fairly well. I had the same attitude as you guys did until I dropped twenty bones on a membership and saw what the other side was like.

RC Champion
    I want an avatar!!!!!

There already is a pay side but it's by invitation only. That's where all the girls post so that they are not constantly harrased by clueless guys trying to pick up a girlfriend on an RC forum...
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn

Wow, how do you get on the list to get past that velvit rope?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitro Chicken
    it's by invitation only. That's where all the girls post ...
    Correct me if I am wrong, its girls only? and 1 more for good measure
    Just Lax'in

He didn't say that it was for girls only, just that it is where they post so creeps don't try to pick them up. I bet you get a lot fewer "I'm too lazy to search before I ask" type questions, and something tells me the answers are likely to be better.

Do the peeps in that pay area get an avitar?

It is sad that a girl can't be an active part of our comminty without being harrassed. I play DF-BHD, on my squad's server we'll punt anyone who comes in asking who the girls are, or age/sex checks. We are there it have good clean wholesome fun killing each other, not to act as a dating service, that is why they made My Space...

I Want An Avatar!!!
    And A Pic In My Sig!!!
    JATO 3.3
    Stampede Build
    DeWalt 12v E-REVO on 4s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Do the peeps in that pay area get an avitar?
    Of course!
    Be vewy vewy quiet,
    I'm hunting trolls...

I want an Avitar!!!!
    There are two reason I can think of not to have one:
    1: Server Space/Bandwidth.
    2: Morrons that have an overtly offensive avitar.
    I like when people call other people morons and spell it wrong.

I also like when they want an avatar so badly and spell it wrong.But not as much as the morons thing.

RC Racer
    I am a memeber of the paid forums. I picked up my girlfriend there, she's hot

Quote Originally Posted by harry697
    I like when people call other people morons and spell it wrong.

I also like when they want an avatar so badly and spell it wrong.But not as much as the morons thing.
    So other than flaming, you really have nothing to contribute?

Who did I call 'morons'? I commented on Nitrotastic's post because it didn't seem like he had read my post entirely, but, he explained his position, without flaming.

Until your post we had some good constructive pro/con dialog going on. As far as my misspelling AVATAR goes, not all of us can be the president of MENSA.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    not all of us can be the president of MENSA.
    True, but the next person that wants to be needs to wait until my term is finished.

With that being said, I'd recommend that this thread not descend into flames. It'll be detrimental to all those involved. Besides, you guys may anger the almighty Chicken, and he could easily could decide to take away sigs and profiles too...
    Be vewy vewy quiet,
    I'm hunting trolls...

Yeah, when the Chicken gets mad, he'll peck your eyes out...