Time limit to edit posts....why?

As the title says..why? On many other forums you can edit anytime. I want to sometimes like in a picture thread when I want to put up better or different pics and dont want to put up a whole post for an update. Sometimes there are reasons you may want to edit your posts too.
    Lock, Stomp, and Steer. No Fear

RC Qualifier
    I agree with you.

RC Champion
    If I had to guess, it's to somewhat maintain the thread integrity. If someone came in a couple days later and changed their post content, it (a) might not be noticed (b) might change the slant on those that responded.

I notice a lot of people don't even make use of the 1 hour edit and some post multiple times a single sentence in a row a few minutes apart. That's annoying.

I can see the potential benefit in a gallery of an extended timeframe for editing though.
    ------
    hmmm, I've never seen it spelled that way.

RC Champion
    I agree.......

RC Champion
    well traxxas did this to catch forum violations. say this guy Joe/R/C said some Bad stuff about you and used profanity! of course you used the (R) button to report the offence.Joe/R/C comes back and edits his post and cleans up the violation.now the mod who gets the report can not see the violation becuase it was edited before he got a chance review the reported post. see the point i am trying to make? i been on this forum for a long time and seen this before in flame wars and arugments among forum posters.
    Take Responsibility do not text and drive.

Quote Originally Posted by vashon10
    If I had to guess, it's to somewhat maintain the thread integrity. If someone came in a couple days later and changed their post content, it (a) might not be noticed (b) might change the slant on those that responded.

I notice a lot of people don't even make use of the 1 hour edit and some post multiple times a single sentence in a row a few minutes apart. That's annoying.

I can see the potential benefit in a gallery of an extended timeframe for editing though.
    You are correct I never thought about it changing the slant on the following posts.

Quote Originally Posted by GlowThunder
    well traxxas did this to catch forum violations. say this guy Joe/R/C said some Bad stuff about you and used profanity! of course you used the (R) button to report the offence.Joe/R/C comes back and edits his post and cleans up the violation.now the mod who gets the report can not see the violation becuase it was edited before he got a chance review the reported post. see the point i am trying to make? i been on this forum for a long time and seen this before in flame wars and arugments among forum posters.
    Yea I get tired of seeing flame wars or just plain ignorant people that only post to be argumentative because they don't have any useful info and want to post anyways. I can see why traxxas would do it on their site. Their site has most of the same rules as many other forums but many of the other forums are looser about their enforcement because they aren't so child or young adult oriented. I also get tired of seeing multiple posts by the same person that are only one sentence or one word. We all know the guys that do it too. You will see the same person in almost every post in a forum have "sweet", "cool car", "Nice truck", "I wish I had that", "like the paint" and many other short seemingly pointless posts. I seen one guy in the slash forums post a thread with the topic"1000 posts!!" or something like that. I wanted to post so bad it was because 95% of them were about three words or less lol. But then it would of started an online argument where nothing ever gets done and nobody ever wins Sometimes its about quality not quantity
    Lock, Stomp, and Steer. No Fear

RC Champion
    I moderate another vB forum and usually the moderators can see the edits done to a post.
    "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail" Ben Franklin

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by vashon10
    Correct. A year or two ago, we had a rash of people who liked to try an appear they knew more than they did. After it was pointed out they posted bad information, they'd change their post in an attempt to make everyone who pointed out their misinformation foolish.

Aside for the gallery, why would someone need to edit after the time limit for editing elapsed anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by traxxasmaniac
    I moderate another vB forum and usually the moderators can see the edits done to a post.
    That doesn't really apply to the problem that the limit was put in place for. It was to prevent people from covering their tracks when posting bad information and it's caught.
    Be vewy vewy quiet,
    I'm hunting trolls...

RC Racer
    Just quote the post that you are responding to...?
    Then they can't edit the post. In the for sale threads if I want to lower my price I have to post the lower price. Some people may not scroll down and read all the posts to see my new price

Quote Originally Posted by redemption
    In theory that would work but you would have to be carefull on exactly what you are quoting. If you quote flamming or a cuss word "yes I know you didn't write it" you can get points for that too (which I don't understand) but thats the rule.
    This is the wisest post in the thread!

We also had some issues where seemingly normal posters would start breaking rules and collecting points. Since this is obviously the first place that they had ever been held accountable for their own actions they had temper fits and changed their pictures to stuff you would not want your kids to see. The limit does indeed maintain the integrity of the board and it helps honest people stay honest.
    "Fortunately son, I says fortunately I keep my feathers numbered for just such an emergency!"
    Foghorn Leghorn