Thread: buying a new TV

RC Champion

buying a new TV

Well I am moving a TV to another room in my house to make room for the baby.

As I am an insominac I usally sleep in a seperate room than my wife as to not disturb her sleep. There is really not enough room is the office/ bedroom to put my old CRT TV. So I am going to get a wall mounted flat screen. I also have HD direct TV so might as well take advantage of it.

As I have read my consumer reports and really brand in not an issue with TVs. Just from models to model. I have a 2 year old Visio in the living room 53" 720P DLP LCD and it has worked great. I do have a high end Samsung Computer moniter with 900x1440 res and being just 19" it just blows my TV away.

Aside from getting a Samsung as it will match my monitor (yes I am OCD about a few things) i don't think brand is not that imporant. Says consumer reports and John Tesh as well... So is brand really worth it?

Also I am looking at a 26-32" TV. More of a matter of space than budget. From what I am reading you can't really tell a difference between 720p and 1080p with a TV under 40" It will be used mostly to watch TV and possible move my PS3 into this room.

Two questions?
    So is brand really worth it?
    Is 1080P worth an extra $200 on a 32" TV?
    Last edited by OCD RC; 09-12-2009 at 02:18 AM.
    Pay It Forward.

RC Racer
    No, the brand name is not worth it.

No, 1080P is not worth an extra $200 on a 32". What you have read is correct.

If you're looking for a new TV, I suggest that you find one with a very high contrast ratio. The higher the contrast ratio, the better the image quality.

RC Qualifier
    I, personally love our Sony Bravia, The image quality is great and from what ive heard the best on the market. But i dont think it comes in 720p, and some of what your paying for is the brand.

RC Qualifier
    Nevermind, they do have a 720p

RC Qualifier
    I just did some resarch and compared every tv that is 720p and 32" on best buy to the worst bravia and the bravia had the highest contrast ratio

RC Qualifier
    I dont think the brand matters either, unless its a brand that you have never heard of. I've looked at tvs at best buy for my bed room and have found that Panasonic has some nice tvs. Although samsung has comparable tvs that are a bit more expensive but with a higher contrast ratio.

Panasonic 42

Samsung 40
    Nitro Sport Pro. 15
    VXL BlackSlash w/ DX2.0

Samsung is always rated very high on Comsumer report. Contrast ratio isn't something to look at either. Sony colors aren't always accurate. LG and Samsung I do know manufacture their own LCD screens. I believe Sony does but Sony you do pay for the name. I have a older 2007 32in 720p Samsung with 8000:1 contrast and looks just as good as any tv today(it won Comuser report best 32inch that year). I use my Tv more as a computer monitor and I play World of Warcraft ALOT and zero burn in images.I know Samsung also it a huge leader in LCD and seems to be a step ahead then other manufactures. I will only buy Samsung tvs for now on. The Samsung TraxxArmy linked is amazing. How do I know? My grandma got it. It has perfect coloring and shading(this is composite RCA cable) and picture quality is azmaing.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

Quote Originally Posted by gforce54
    I just did some resarch and compared every tv that is 720p and 32" on best buy to the worst bravia and the bravia had the highest contrast ratio
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218062424206 Is a Sony with 13,000:1 (dynamic) contrast ratio. Cost $547

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218080215881 Is a Samsung with 50,000:1( dynamic) contrast ratio. Cost $499
    Both T.v are 32in, 720p with 60hz.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218062117582 Is a sony with 50,000:1 (dymanic) contrast ratio. Cost $950.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1218079755374 is a Samsung with 80,000:1(dymanic) contrast ratio. Cost $900
    Both T.v are 40in 1080p 120hz.

I just thought it was funny you stating what you did. Most people see the contrast ratio and go "oh this has more". Not true. There is dynamic contrast ratio and then there is native. You only get the full dynamic ratio when your tv is set to dynamic mode. Unless you're watching sports or Planet Earth, dynamic is way to high for normal tv or movies and even gaming. Dynamic was way to bright for Gears of War. I worry about the response speed on my t.v then contrast ratio.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0
    Samsung is always rated very high on Comsumer report. Contrast ratio isn't something to look at either. Sony colors aren't always accurate. LG and Samsung I do know manufacture their own LCD screens. I believe Sony does but Sony you do pay for the name. I have a older 2007 32in 720p Samsung with 8000:1 contrast and looks just as good as any tv today(it won Comuser report best 32inch that year). I use my Tv more as a computer monitor and I play World of Warcraft ALOT and zero burn in images.I know Samsung also it a huge leader in LCD and seems to be a step ahead then other manufactures. I will only buy Samsung tvs for now on. The Samsung TraxxArmy linked is amazing. How do I know? My grandma got it. It has perfect coloring and shading(this is composite RCA cable) and picture quality is azmaing.
    Ive noticed different than you. Ive noticied that my Sony is a lot better than my grandmas 2 samsungs, and noticed that the colors on my sony are very accurate

Quote Originally Posted by gforce54
    Ive noticed different than you. Ive noticied that my Sony is a lot better than my grandmas 2 samsungs, and noticed that the colors on my sony are very accurate
    You probably don't know how to set the setting correctly nor do alot of people. They think they buy a new HDtv it is going to be p[erfect out of the box..No, you still have to change settings and adjust everything. If you are comparing your new Sony to a 2004 samsung I hope it passes your grandma's . I doubt Sony will surpass a Lg or Samsung when those 2 manufactures are leading LCD technology and coming out with newer and better technology. When Magnolia and other high end electronic place where I live recommend Samsung and LG over Sony something isn't right. Sony, you pay for name and get less proformance. I'm not saying all Sony are like that, but when it comes to Tv, they are behind.

RC Qualifier
    Well, youre right. Samsung beats Sony with its 150,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio, and LG with its 240 hz. I guess my grandparents never programmed theirs

RC Qualifier
    I just realized this, why would you want 240hz and 150,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio when nobody broadcasts in it? so it ends up all that extra stuff is useless

RC Champion
    It's not a matter of simply displaying what is broadcasted, it's a matter of signal processing. Research the benefits (and detriments) to frequencies over 120Hz. They actually make sense and have their applications.

As for brand name, yes it matters as far as I'm concerned. Cheap brands do t support the specifications that makes a television truely great. Bottom line.

Don't put any weight into contrast ratio ratings - there is no standard for doing so, and each manufacturer has its own method that may differ even from model to model. It's essentially a marketing gimmick with most.

Brand name is definitely a consideration, and Panasonic, Samsung, and Sony are top-tier. Which model range you're looking at further narrows it down, but looking at each one in a non-box-store (i.e., Best Buy etc have TVs connected differently and with very poor signals) is really all you can do. Videophile websites are completely full of nonsense, and run screaming from any review that advises Monster cables or any other digital connection that costs more than $2.
    Six in a row makes it go.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    While you are right about the difference between 720p and 1080p under 40 inch, it really depends. Personally I love my 1080 50" Samsung that I only paid $889 for!!! Ok, my wife paid for it, it was my birthday present lol.
    My truck sees more air than yours!!!

RC Champion
    Well I did a little more research. Talked to my buddy who is up on the latest electronic trends and went to best buy and talked with thier guy. I think he was pretty honest and reccommended a lower end TV for what I wanted to use it for.

Basically with the Sub 40" TV all top end specs really don't matter. I think I am going to get a 720P /60hz /20k-60k /Res -Samsung. Either a higher end series 3 or lower end series 4.

Also I might upgrade the one in the living room as well to 1080p 120hz 60k+ res Series 5 Samsung with 50+ inches. Figured I could get a couple hundred bucks out of the Visio locally. and keep the stand it came on. That is if i can get one for under $800 or so.
    Pay It Forward.