Thread: OFNA 17mm hubs?

RC Racer

OFNA 17mm hubs?

I have to find something to replace the TRX 17m hubs. I've grooved the nuts, I've tried teflon tape on the threads, I've tried dual nuts and they keep loosening one side up enough to destroy wheels. Grrr!

How do the OFNA ones hold up? I would suspect they would work better because there is more threads on the nuts.

[edit] Maybe the Integy Alloy Hex Wheel Hub 17mm?

Is there any other tricks or best yet, a set with reverse thread for the left (I think) side?

Thanks... frustrated.
    Last edited by ericsenf; 09-13-2009 at 08:06 PM.
    E-Revo + CC MMM + MaxAmps - Skilled at breaking it

never had a problem with my ofna hubs

RC Champion
    Have you tried thread locker? I have tried Teflon tape and it worked fairly well maybe try putting more tape on the ones with a problem. I have one I put more tape on than the other and it feels like a nylon nut

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Novarider
    Have you tried thread locker? I have tried Teflon tape and it worked fairly well maybe try putting more tape on the ones with a problem. I have one I put more tape on than the other and it feels like a nylon nut
    Both tape and loctite are not good options as I switch wheels frequently between bashing & racing. I was still able to get my taped wheels to spin one loose and trash a tire.

How tight do you go on hub nuts? I'm snugging them up nicely but not bearing down.

RC Champion
    You gotta put some force on it to get it to stay. On stock wheels I go about as hard as I can since I dont care about those wheels but on aftermarket I go a little less as I don't want to damage them
    Last edited by Novarider; 09-13-2009 at 09:08 PM.

RC Champion
    I tighten mine down as much as I can with the traxxas tool provided and use loctite and have never had one come loose.

Make sure whatever you get is made for a 6mm axle though, most are made for use on a 8mm axles, Ofna included.

Ofna included.
    Ofna makes ones for the Revo's. That's what people used before the TRX ones were available. I use the TRX ones with no issues, and never even grooved them.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    There are a couple companies that make left hand thread 17mm hexes for the right side of the vehicle, so that all four hex nuts try to tighten when going forward.

But, just snugging up the hex nuts IS NOT good enough, you have to torque those bad boys down tight! I use a socket on a 12" handle ratchet and tighten them as tight as I can get them, and they have never come off.

Also, it's ok to use blue thread-lock on the hexes even if you swap wheels a lot, because it doesn't make it hard to get the hex nuts off at all. And actually, the gummy residue left after you remove a hex nut that has been thread-locked is a good thing, since it acts as an o-ring to help keep the nut from coming loose.

Anyway, torque those hex nuts down as tight as you can get them!
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Champion
    I also use a socket and hand ratchet on mine. Havent had an issue of them loosening. Before I just used the traxxas tool, and they did loosen after a couple of runs, you just cant tighten them enough with that small plastic thing. I had the ofna set on my 3.3 revo and I lost like one wheel nut in about year, so thats not bad. They were about the same, as in coming loose and in quality.the one thing I didnt care for on the ofna set were the little set screws that hold them on the axle, they were small and were a pain to take off without striping them after you use loctite on them.
    Revo, Brushless, 50mph, $800, No You Cant

yep, i also use a deep socket and rachet, and i snug em up as much as they will go, i also have the nuts grooved and i've not had a problem ever.
    infowars.com

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoš
    I use a socket on a 12" handle ratchet and tighten them as tight as I can get them, and they have never come off.
    You must be extremely weak! Theres no way a plastic 17mm wheel would hold up to the torque you could get from a 12" ratchet without stripping.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the advice. I'm always sensitive about over torquing things (habit from working on aluminum stuff on my motor cycle). I've got a nice 17mm hub wrench for the kit and will crank 'em down, toss some blue loctite on and see if they hold. If not, I've got a welder.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusteh101
    You must be extremely weak! Theres no way a plastic 17mm wheel would hold up to the torque you could get from a 12" ratchet without stripping.
    come on, are you serious? use a bit of common sense, no need to start saying things that are going to end up in arguements. I snug mine up till they're tight and than give them another bit of a turn. I would imagine R1 does the same or similar.
    infowars.com

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiernan85
    come on, are you serious? use a bit of common sense, no need to start saying things that are going to end up in arguements. I snug mine up till they're tight and than give them another bit of a turn. I would imagine R1 does the same or similar.
    He said "tighten them as tight as I can get them", how is that supposed to be taken?

If ericsenf takes this advice to try and solve his hex loosening problem what do you think will happen?

RC Racer
    He said "tighten them as tight as I can get them", how is that supposed to be taken?

If ericsenf takes this advice to try and solve his hex loosening problem what do you think will happen?
    Seriously though, a torque spec would be appreciated if anyone has a wrench to measure it.

RC Qualifier
    These are very large threads and can handle way more torque than you think. A typical 3/8 ratchet won't be able to damage these. I install mine with an 18v dewalt. I use low gear and a locked clutch (max torque). They never strip or gall, and they never come loose.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    You must be extremely dense.
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Qualifier
    +1 on the socket and ratchet. I dont even really use loctite anymore since they are off an on so often.

I get the odd one that will spin loose, more than likely my fault for not tightening it enough. I have never trashed a wheel losing a wheel nut though.

RC Qualifier
    It finally took grooving the nuts, actual Loctite BRAND blue threadlocker (Permatex brand wasn't working at all), and bearing down real hard using the black Traxxas wheel nut wrench before I could get mine to stay tight.

RC Qualifier
    i use blue loctite on the stock hexes (no grooves or anything) and just tighten the hexes to about as tight as i can with the traxxas tool (really reefing on the little tool) and i have never had a nut come loose within the past 8 months

i only really have to re-loctite the nuts every month or so, i just clean the dirt off the outside of the nuts and hexes when i take the wheels off (every couple drives) but leave the dry loctite on the threads, works awesome at keeping the nuts tight

as for the 'o-ring' comment, has anyone ever tried using a thick o-ring as a sort of lock washer to keep the nuts tight? it would add a springy pressure on the threads, preventing them from vibrating loose
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd