RC Competitor

Stupid question but...

I know the ERBE is all about speed, but how capable is it at the other end of the speed spectrum, ie how driveable is it at low speed just pootling round the back yard to impress the kids and not smash into the trampoline, swings etc?

I'm thinking brisk walking speeds, just having a bit of fun with my young boys. Please don't sneer, sometimes speed isn't everything when it comes to RC fun. That said, I would like one to go absolutely tearing up the dirt, but it's not all about me these days...

RC Champion
    I dont drive mine slow to often, but I always thought with all electrics, if you go slow for long periods the ESC will get hotter than "normal".
    Revo, Brushless, 50mph, $800, No You Cant

I let my three and half year old nephew drive mine around occasionally. I slow it way down and it handles it just fine. He loves it BTW.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyFan
    I dont drive mine slow to often, but I always thought with all electrics, if you go slow for long periods the ESC will get hotter than "normal".
    That's the old "brushed" way of thinking, and doesn't really apply to brushless anymore.

With the right gearing, the ERBE can be run slowly with no problems at all. But, if you just want to do that, why not just get the brushed version?
    Project: BL Revo Race Quad & BL G-Maxx G3R CF Revo

RC Champion
    Cool, I never drive slow enough to matter. I only heard that when brushless wasn't around, so thats cool that it doesnt them to drive slow.
    Revo, Brushless, 50mph, $800, No You Cant

RC Racer
    I'm planning on wiring up some harnesses this week to run my 2s packs in parallel thus running the ERBE on 7.4v. This is a way to regulate speed. I do a bunch of lower speed running and if you want to be competitive on a track you need to know throttle control more and low speed.

I personally like my BL setup for the torque and accompanying high rate of acceleration. I have the truck top ending somewhere in the 40+ (less than 50) range currently and rarely see those speeds, but wheelies are another story.
    E-Revo + CC MMM + MaxAmps - Skilled at breaking it

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Revoš
    That's the old "brushed" way of thinking, and doesn't really apply to brushless anymore.

With the right gearing, the ERBE can be run slowly with no problems at all. But, if you just want to do that, why not just get the brushed version?
    I want speed, as do we all, but I was also wondering if it's good enough at low speed to play in the confined space of the back yard.

If it's smooth at low speed then I'd be happy. Then, when I go out for a daddy play, I would rip up the dirt!!!

RC Champion
    With the latest firmware on the MMM mine is very smooth at low speed. I actually crawled up some rocks the other day that my AX10 couldn't make it up, I was shocked.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Qualifier
    I drive mine around the (relatively small) back yard all the time with my two year old by my side and the ERBE does a great job at being controllable at low speeds as long as your trigger finger's not too itchy.
    Even with the latest firmware on the MMM I find there is a little bit of cogging (jerky movement) when trying to go straight to a low speed from a standing stop, but once it is moving along it's very smooth.
    If you want it even smoother at low speeds you could consider swapping out the MMM combo for a sensored setup like the Tekin RX8. Sensored systems are very noticeably smoother than sensorless at low speeds.
    BE the Revo

RC Champion
    Are you talking about the Beta firmware RobWilJas?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by waggaboy
    I want speed, as do we all, but I was also wondering if it's good enough at low speed to play in the confined space of the back yard.

If it's smooth at low speed then I'd be happy. Then, when I go out for a daddy play, I would rip up the dirt!!!
    There are really two factors to speed: acceleration, and top end. When you are building any vehicle it is important to factor both of these into the build. When building full scale vehicles, torque provides that stump pulling off the line acceleration power, horsepower provides then takes over providing the ability to sustain at top ends. Also in gearing, as you gear for top end speed, you will sacrifice torque and vice versa (note, this is an extremely basic explanation and can be much more extensive about this due to experience designing engine/transmission builds on drag racing motorcycles--usually Harley's).

I have found that BL motors provide a much broader power band over their operational range (0-40k RMP) where as a v-twin is providing power in a 3000-6500+ RPM range. This is where gearing and transmissions come into play.

Running your ERBE geared at 18/68 (stock E-Revo) on a 4S LiPo will provide huge amounts (almost uncontrollable) of acceleration power though will lack on the top end (and over heat your ESC), gearing it at 18/54 provides a really nice balance of acceleration and top end--lots of pull, very quick, and 40+ mph top end. If you are yard bashing or running on a RC track, you will rarely get to that top end and have very strong pull until you get there.

I'm researching how to safely and securly mount my iPhone into my ERBE so that using Dynolicious (a dyno app for the iPhone) I can measure tq/hp/top speed/0-60s/etc.

Moral of the story: start with 4s+18/54 gearing... it will impress. Gear up or down from there to find the gearing that suites your driving most. Start conservative and go up from there. The faster you go, the worse things break when you stop abruptly.

That enough for my morning rant.
    E-Revo + CC MMM + MaxAmps - Skilled at breaking it

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusteh101
    Are you talking about the Beta firmware RobWilJas?
    Yes I meant the beta firmware.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

RC Qualifier
    i have mine geared 22/62 and i run in my backyard all the time, and i can run slow or fast and have no problems, and i am either running 1 of these battery combo's
    2 SMC 2s 50c 5200's (mostly run these)
    2 SMC 2s 28c 6000's
    2 SPC 2s 20c 8000's

it basically comes down to throttle control with your finger
    "I am a Martial Artist"
    Mich sport karate circuit

RC Qualifier
    I strongly suggest you to see this video that compares the Tekin RX8/sensored motor with the Mamba Monster/sensorless motor at low speeds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFCN8PSMej8

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ericsenf
    There are really two factors to speed: acceleration, and top end. When you are building any vehicle it is important to factor both of these into the build. When building full scale vehicles, torque provides that stump pulling off the line acceleration power, horsepower provides then takes over providing the ability to sustain at top ends. Also in gearing, as you gear for top end speed, you will sacrifice torque and vice versa (note, this is an extremely basic explanation and can be much more extensive about this due to experience designing engine/transmission builds on drag racing motorcycles--usually Harley's).

I have found that BL motors provide a much broader power band over their operational range (0-40k RMP) where as a v-twin is providing power in a 3000-6500+ RPM range. This is where gearing and transmissions come into play.

Running your ERBE geared at 18/68 (stock E-Revo) on a 4S LiPo will provide huge amounts (almost uncontrollable) of acceleration power though will lack on the top end (and over heat your ESC), gearing it at 18/54 provides a really nice balance of acceleration and top end--lots of pull, very quick, and 40+ mph top end. If you are yard bashing or running on a RC track, you will rarely get to that top end and have very strong pull until you get there.

I'm researching how to safely and securly mount my iPhone into my ERBE so that using Dynolicious (a dyno app for the iPhone) I can measure tq/hp/top speed/0-60s/etc.

Moral of the story: start with 4s+18/54 gearing... it will impress. Gear up or down from there to find the gearing that suites your driving most. Start conservative and go up from there. The faster you go, the worse things break when you stop abruptly.

That enough for my morning rant.
    about this app??? is it free do you know if it works on the i touch i just want to know becuase i want to see how fast i can go 0-60 also if you run small enogh batteries you might be able to but your i pone in the battery compartment

RC Qualifier
    is there a similar app. for Windows Mobile?

RC Champion
    you should duct tape the iphone to body and not flip it pt like 10 peices of duct tape on it

yes a gps app for windows mobile is "GPS speed sentry", google for it. it is free for up to 10 minutes but for a longer version you must buy it. I do mine ghetto style, I simply close and re-open the app after every speed run. It also gives a compass, elevation and a satelite map.

back to the original questiion, you do realize the the brushed e-revo has a training mode that limits the speed to half power?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by noir522
    yes a gps app for windows mobile is "GPS speed sentry"
    Interesting but the description states "It monitors your current speed". Does it memorize the maximum speed?

RC Champion
    IS the apple app accurate and does it record max speed(reiteratiing m.stealth's question)

(late I know) yes it records top speed as well

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by waggaboy
    I know the ERBE is all about speed, but how capable is it at the other end of the speed spectrum, ie how driveable is it at low speed just pootling round the back yard to impress the kids and not smash into the trampoline, swings etc?

I'm thinking brisk walking speeds, just having a bit of fun with my young boys. Please don't sneer, sometimes speed isn't everything when it comes to RC fun. That said, I would like one to go absolutely tearing up the dirt, but it's not all about me these days...

The Nitro revo has been around for many years and is the best monster truck out there. Why would the ERBE be any different?