RC Qualifier

Lil help please.... Clicking

Hey

There was a clicking in my erbe for the last month or so now but never had the time to look into it, it sounded like it was coming from the rear of the truck.

So yesterday (thinking it was a bearing in the diff) I took the rear off and opened the diff. I dont know if I damaged a bearing while trying to take it off or if it was already damaged but, the bearing (part #5119) it came to pieces in my hand. So I thought great problem solved, put in the new bearing and put it back together. So today I said I'd give it a go and see how it was running.... the clicking was still there. However today I noticed if I turn to the right No click, straight and turning left clicking. If I take the truck off the ground and run it, No click even if I depress the suspension. So I'm at a loss, I cant see anything catching on the wheels or on the shafts or anything.

Any one got any ideas?
    Thanks
    KD 700-HO 3905 - FLM E-Maxx MMM - ERBE - Slash 4x4

RC Champion
    When you had the rear diff out did you inspect the inside for damage? I know a lot of people including notice a catch in there diffs after they rebuild them. It seems tone from the case putting to much pressure on the diff itself causing the diff to catch and it does make a clicking noise. I don't know of a fix other than replacing the diff case with an aftermarket aluminum one

RC Qualifier
    Hi

I took a good look at the inside the case wiped it out and re-greased it, didnt notice any damage. I did not open the diff cup. But if that had been the problem it should still click when turning to the right.... Right??? Right now I'm not actually sure where the clicking is coming from, thought it was the rear but very hard to tell, it might be something with the front.

RC Champion
    If you spin the wheels by hand is the clicking noise there? You may want to check your spur gear I had a clicking and it was my spur gear had warped and was tapping the chassis

RC Qualifier
    Pushing the truck along the ground by hand, no click. I'll check the spur, although again no click when in reverse.

RC Competitor
    I had the same problem you described, turned out to be the bearings in the front diffs

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Anvil
    I had the same problem you described, turned out to be the bearings in the front diffs

Oh man, now I got to go and take down the front. Better get started.

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    My tranny had a blown bearing and it was clicking.

RC Champion
    You might try this. I did it, and my diffs have been fine since. Before that, I went through three different rear diffs that had serious clicking, but when I opened them up, nothing was wrong. Try the shim, and see what happens:
    http://monster.traxxas.com/showthrea...highlight=shim
    Eat my road grit, liver lips! -Clark W. Griswold

RC Qualifier
    Might want to clean all of the grease out of the diff as it might have small metal pieces in it from the bearing exploding and it will give you a clicking noise unless the pieces a re big enough to actually stop the gears. Chunks are hard to see but it could be your problem.
    If it didn't break you can do it again.

RC Racer
    Last week I had the same thing happen. Weird clicking noise. I too my diffs apart to do the 10K rear / 50K front diff oil thing, put them back together, and when I rotated the rear tires noticed a small click. I tore everything back down and discovered I had a blown inner bearing on my diff carrier. Furthermore there were a few bearings in my diff carrier grease. I cleaned out all of the grease and de-greased all of the gears. My differential ring gear had several teeth which were chipped causing the noise.

If you tear the diffs down, clean and inspect EVERYTHING very closely. I pulled my rear diff 3 times before I got to the root of the problem. What a [REDACTED] mess!
    E-Revo + CC MMM + MaxAmps - Skilled at breaking it

RC Qualifier
    Ok so last night I took off the front and checked the front diff. There seemed to be a little more oil than usual on outside the diff so I opend the diff cup and put some more oil in there, it looked fine, didn't see any damage, it did look like it needed the some oil though. Checked the bearing, they seemed fine, put some litium grease on and put it back together. Ran it this morning and still clicking seems even louder although it definately sound like its coming from the rear.

At a total loss for the problem. Not going to have time to do another tear down for a while now, but might buy complete diffs on ebay, always useful and can just throw them in when I get them, see if that solves it.

"ericsenf"
    When you say Diff Carrier, do you mean the diff cup?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenie
    "ericsenf"
    When you say Diff Carrier, do you mean the diff cup?
    he means the housing like this:
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHGF3&P=7

I had the same clicking problem that you are describing but mine was caused by chipped teeth by a previous gearset in my diff. I replaced the gears and it ran smooth until i guess the grease got circulated and picked up the little pieces of gears and got stuck between the teeth. You couldn't really see them because of the grease but they were in there. After completely cleaning out the housing and the gears then re greasing the ring and pinion it ran smooth again. If you are saying you lost a bearing more than likely you have some metal or 4N material in the grease of the diff housing causing your clicking if you are not seeing it anywhere else on the vehicle.

RC Qualifier
    Oh ok, yeah I thought he was on about the cup. Maybe there is some of the bad bearing left behind. I did just wipe the grease out and didn't give it a thorough cleaning so maybe theres some crap left in there.

Well not got time to get into it again but wouldn't have had time to run it either so no major problem. Thanks guys, will let you know when I get time to do tear down again.

RC Qualifier
    Don't just clean the housing out, also make sure and clean the gears also.

RC Qualifier
    Oh my God.

So I ordered diff, got them on ebay pre assembled, pulled from a emaxx. Installed them this morning, used the erevo diff case as I didn't have one, cleaned it out perfectly, not so much as a speck of dirt in it. Put it all back together, turned it on and ........ click click click. I'm really close to breaking something, with my fist.

The clicking is not as bad but its there, I'm at a total loss. It cant be the diff, there is not way there is something wrong with the old and this one. Its is definitely coming for the rear aswell. I cant see anything that might be rubbing or anthing getting caught up anywhere.

Anyone got any other ideas??

RC Champion
    Next time you take your diffs out, turn the out-put gear by hand. You may probably notice that it will have a slight binding to it. Especially if you've really tightened down those 4 outer housing screws. That just may be what you'r hearing. You can back those screws off a tad untill the binding subsides.

Also, that binding will usually go away the more you run your truck...
    (√) Zer0 tall-er-ance 4 stu-pid-it-deeeeee.

RC Qualifier
    Thats a good answer and something to check but the clicking was not it in originally, its only in it for the past month or there about.

The ERBE seems to be running ok so dont think the clicking is doing any damage but thats nearly more annoying, at least if the truck was struggling I'd be able to pin point it better.