RC poster

Slash Project. Custom Mudflaps!

I appreciate the anticipation for this thread Sorry I was distracted, and then it took a bit to upload all the photos... But here goes!

Unscrew the stock screws from the rear bumper.

Take both Tension Pins and slide the screws into one end of each. (will crimp in vise later)

Take an Xacto knife and cut the Nylon Spacers to fit inside the rear bumper to act as the flange the screw had.

Take an old bike innertube or other plyable rubber and cut two pieces 1.5" x 2". (2.5" for alternate attaching.)

Use an Xacto knife and carefully trim all edges perfectly straight. Cut a small section, approx " for the flap to rest under the screw on the end of the Tension Pin.

(Alternative attachment) Take the top of the flap and fold it around the Tension Ring tightly, then poke a hole through both pieces and attach with metal ring. Sorry no pic for this, but after overcrimping the flaps and almost cutting through them with the Tension Pin, I decided that I wanted another route to attach mudflaps once these get ripped off.

Carefully mark the Tension Pin slightly shy of " from the other side. This is the marker for the Threaded Rod to slide into.

Take the pieces to your Vise or if you do not have a vise, use a lot of force with a strong pair of pliers and secure with JB or Liquid Nail. ( I used a Vise with a hammer to tighten hard, and JB to reinforce the crimp.

You may wish to take the tires off the rear end of the vehicle. If you do not, make sure the suspension is fully extended as the flaps will hit the tire as it is being screwed in.

Take your allen and tighten the Threaded Rods through the rear bumper and into the motor guard. Be sure to tighten snug and to check to make sure flaps are perpendicular to the ground when vehicle is sitting level.

Go outside and romp around till your heart is content. Stand behind the truck and not fear a rock hitting your shin! Enjoy and post your own custom flaps and/or modifications!

I will post up pictures of my custom Back Off paintjob I will be doing to a set of flaps. Since these are so easy to install, and very sturdy too, ( I came donw hard and landed the passenger one directly on a stump! Slightly bent the rod, was very easy to straighten!)

I will probably make several interchangeable flaps, and I am not worried about bashing, as $2.22 is a lot better than $25.00+!!!

More photos at http://www.hobzob.com/album/1280

RC Qualifier
    Nice write up. It is people like you that make the hobby fun. Trying new stuff and sharing with the other guys. Good job!
    momomotorsports - Slash - PE Slash 4x4

RC Champion
    I wonder how this will hold up after a cartwheel or hard nudge at the rear corner? the screw pin itself is very rigid, and could possibly rip the rear bumper mount. I myself used a thin 2mm brass rod which is very flexible and can easily be straighten out should the truck tumbles. For attachment, four pieces of cable ties across the bumper just behind the motor. But this is a great write up nevertheless!
    Myth busted: Blitz is not faster on the track.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Out of Sight
    I wonder how this will hold up after a cartwheel or hard nudge at the rear corner? the screw pin itself is very rigid, and could possibly rip the rear bumper mount. I myself used a thin 2mm brass rod which is very flexible and can easily be straighten out should the truck tumbles. For attachment, four pieces of cable ties across the bumper just behind the motor. But this is a great write up nevertheless!
    I did several flips on hard limerock surface, managed to come down hard on a stump off a big jump too. I bent the threaded rod a little on the stump, was very easy to straighten. I haven't had another rc to smash into me, but today I will do more testing including backing into a tree I don't foresee ripping the bumper, but I liked this setup because the allen screw is moved to the end and you can still unscrew it if you want to take them off. I am def going with a different mudflap attachment though... Going to wrap the next set around the pin and tighten with metal rings. Glad everyone likes the build!

RC Racer
    nice job but it looks like it would bend easy.I bought the pprslots.com mud flaps and they work great flipped my truck over and over and nothing bent or broke

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by bosco72
    nice job but it looks like it would bend easy.I bought the pprslots.com mud flaps and they work great flipped my truck over and over and nothing bent or broke
    I would rather have the rod bend a lil then the torque from a hit be applied to the bumper and motor guard! It took hitting the stump pretty hard to bend it, flips didn't hurt them at all. And it was extremely easy to straighten with a pair of pliers. Do you have a link to the pprslots kit for us to see?

RC Champion
    nice looking flaps...i'm working on making a set for my Slash and E-Slayer..making a set for the front too maybe...
    Fluttershy is best pony.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox
    nice looking flaps...i'm working on making a set for my Slash and E-Slayer..making a set for the front too maybe...
    Thanks! I will be custom painting a bunch of them with some rubber bonding air paint

RC Champion

Thanks
    Z....