RC Racer

Motor swap options and help

I know there has been hundreds of threads that talk about this, and I have used the search option but after reading for hours I am more confused then before.

I would like a replacement for my 3.3, but I would really like to keep my EZ-Start as well. A big block perhaps? Like anyone else out there I am looking for best bang for my buck as well. Something easy to tune and keep tuned as well. Prefer not to just put another 3.3 in either. I have a Buku pipe and a THS system as well I would like to run. It has the FOC and center diff with rear brake kit installed. But otherwise stock gears and front and rear diffs.

Any help would be appreciated.
    I just wanna go fast!!

RC Champion
    I've heard good things about the axial .28 and OS .21... I've never used them though.
    RC enthusiast!

RC Racer
    Are they direct replacement? Obviously need the big block kit but otherwise as far as ez-start, gear mesh, and so on. Do I use the Traxxas big block kit or use another aftermarket one? I want a nice fit.

The Axial sure has a friendly price tag as well.
    Last edited by Nobody_u_know; 09-22-2009 at 01:09 PM.
    I just wanna go fast!!

RC Racer
    How about the Ofna/Picco .26 Maxx? They say direct bolt on without needing anything more then their mount? They are out of stock right now at tower but I am sure I can find one.

Good motor? Easy to tune and keep tuned?
    I just wanna go fast!!

RC Racer
    $300 seems like alot for a motor. But if it is worth the money then you get what you pay for. Do I need the BB kit with that? I cant find the .18tm on tower either, just the .21.
    I just wanna go fast!!

RC Qualifier
    the 18tm has been discontinued for a while. The 18tz is still available.

RC Racer
    What is difference for tz and tm? Is there any power advantage for the o.s. 18 against the 3.3?
    I just wanna go fast!!

RC Racer
    Both bolt up the same and have the same options for 3.3 replacement though? EZ start and ect. Is it worth that extra money for the .21?
    I just wanna go fast!!

The OS .21TM will drop right in and you can use the buku pipe with it. Do you have the buku for the small block? The OS .18TZ is not a drop in you need to work with the crank shaft to get it to work (most people replace the crank shaft with the OS .18TM crank)The Picco .26 Maxx needs a big block mount and really needs a big block exhaust for it to run the best. I have a OS.21TM with a Buku pipe in my revo it runs great.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Wonderful
    The TZ is an off road motor with a little more top end.

I thought OS advertised the TZ as an onroad motor?

RC Racer
    I have the Buku for the Revo 3.3 or O.S. 21. I dont know if you can use the same pipe and change the springs for a BB or not.
    I just wanna go fast!!

RC Champion
    I would get the TZ man, it's only $130 or so with tower coupons. You can get the TM crankshaft, backplate, and starter shaft, and use your EZ Start. You will love it
    Don't mess with the Cyber Bully

RC Racer
    Ok I think my best option is the .21tm. Then I can use my Buku pipe with it. If I get the 18tz then spend $50 on crank, and $15 on back plate and have to make it work.

I run dirt mostly, a track we have set up. Fairly large track, not real tight turns but most times only find myself running half throttle or so with my 3.3 now.
    I just wanna go fast!!

RC Champion
    He can, but it's more expensive (the engine), and you still have to buy the correct clutch nut cause it's a 5mm standard shaft and it's a rotary carb, so he would have to make that work

RC Racer
    I also have question. Just curious, is it possible to install carb from OS 0.18TZ to TRX 3.3? My TRX 3.3 is still new but it works very unstable, I think its a carb problem, I checked it for airleaks, I cleaned it with gasoline, its fine, I even hermetized the engine and it didn't help much. I tuned my engine well, but sometimes it works unstable.

I see people saying here, other engines like OS don't have that kind of problem, they stable. I guess they stable just because of better carb quality, the rest is a same thing like in TRX.
    Batteries are for girls :)

RC Racer
    i got .26 reddot lots of power $199.00 amain hobbies
    2revo reddots
    revo plat 3.3
    summit
    4x4 slash

RC Qualifier
    i heard MENY good things about it, and with very few mods

RC Champion
    I recently replaced my dead 18TM with a Picco .26 Red Dot and I'm pretty disappointed with it. I did a lot of research on the engine and people's opinions beforehand though so I have no one to blame but myself.

The .26 will perform best with a side pipe and isn't suited to the stock or Resonator pipe at all. Despite trying to baby the engine, I've twice blow up the transmission. I've also found that the engine vibrates like no tomorrow and tends to rattle even the best threadlocked screws loose.

If I had to go back and pick an engine again, I'd go with the OS .21TM. My OS 18TM ran great, and from what I've read the 21TM is a reliable drop in.
    All the witty signature need over 50 characters...

RC Racer
    Anyone have any advice or ideas where to find the best deal on the .21tm

I know tower with the coupon codes but just seeing if I missed anything. Checked e-bay and googled for a couple min too.
    I just wanna go fast!!

RC Champion
    Probably hopmeup on ebay. I bought mine from the LHS for 250.

RC Champion
    there is TZ that can accept the EZ start??.. i have never seen it...

RC Champion
    He's talking about the TZ-TX version, but even then will the EZ Start bolt on?

RC Champion
    i don't think so

RC Champion
    Before Traxxas died out in my area, guys ran ez start AND pullstarts on the 18tz and had them in Revos and Tmaxx. With all the crafty craftsmen on here Im sure someone couldve gave him insight to make it work.

Open your eyes a little wider.
    wow ...... well if it was done show me.. i have never seen it done before unless you put the tm crank and backplate on it... open up my eyes for me

RC Champion
    Before Traxxas died out in my area, guys ran ez start AND pullstarts on the 18tz and had them in Revos and Tmaxx. With all the crafty craftsmen on here Im sure someone couldve gave him insight to make it work.

Open your eyes a little wider.
    wow ...... well if it was done show me.. i have never seen it done before unless you put the tm crank and backplate on it... open up my eyes for me

RC Champion
    I love this site.

Anyways, Yes Mr.Wonderful, there is a TZ that has a pull start on it it's the TX version. I think the debate is will the EZ Start fit on that backplate.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Flame war deleted. Thread closed. Let's start acting a little more mature, shall we?
    Be vewy vewy quiet,
    I'm hunting trolls...