RC poster

3.3 Revo or Brushless Revo

Hey guys,

I'm getting back in the hobby and in the middle of a 3.3 or brushless Revo. Can you guys give me some positives and negatives about each of them, related to nitro over brushless. I don't intend to race, just use it in my yard.

How long does it take to charge the lipos in brushless?
    Can you recommend chargers and batteries? I'd like to stay around the 40-50 mph range, and 40 min run times.
    Which one will require less maintenance assuming you don't break anything?
    Will it hurt the 3.3 to stay on its lid for a minute or two after a crash?
    Does reverse hold up in the 3.3?
    How long does a tank of nitro last? How many tanks to a gallon?
    How often to you replace the brakes or clutch bearings, etc?
    How long does it take to charge the batteries for the 3.3? How long of a run time do you get out of them?

Thanks

RC Champion
    ding ding, round 1

i prefer electric cuz it's easier to set up, cheaper in the long run, and better performance with much more potential.

RC Champion
    I own both, and LOVE my nitro, but I'm telling you to get an electric. Upfront it's more expensive for good batteries, charger and power supply, but the learning curve is a LOT more forgiving. Honestly, the reason I'm still into nitro is because I've been into it for a while, love the smell, and race pretty heavily. If those aren't concerns for you, then electric really is the lowest maintenance, easiest to learn option.

To answer your questions:
    A little over an hour
    Can you recommend chargers and batteries? I'd like to stay around the 40-50 mph range, and 40 min run times.
    You definitely want a balancing charger. The Venom pro charger is pretty decent, ******* makes a similar charger. You can make or buy harnesses to charge both your battery packs as one. For battery choice, you're on your own, but at a MINIMUM I'd suggest 5000mAh 20C 2s lipos X2 to run a total of 4s for your speed goals. 5000's running 4s will give you somewhere between 25 and 40 minutes depending on how you bash.
    Which one will require less maintenance assuming you don't break anything?
    Electric.
    Will it hurt the 3.3 to stay on its lid for a minute or two after a crash?
    Not if it's tuned right, but if you have the tune wrong too long, a new traxxas engine is $110 after exchange.
    Does reverse hold up in the 3.3?
    Not in my experience
    How long does a tank of nitro last? How many tanks to a gallon?
    Depends on tune and how you drive, but somewhere between 7 and 15 minutes; 1 gallon is around 30 tanks or so.
    How often to you replace the brakes or clutch bearings, etc?
    clutch every 2 gallons of fuel or so, brakes when they wear out, bearings when they need it
    How long does it take to charge the batteries for the 3.3? How long of a run time do you get out of them?
    The receiver pack takes about 30-45 minutes to charge, and you can get an hour or so of run time unless you have a servo taking more juice than normal.
    -Harry | Racing and Painting
    1stGenPaint

RC Champion
    Simple enough.

3.3 = 70% tuning/30% running

ERBE = 70% running/30% tuning

And I to own both..
    (√) Zer0 tall-er-ance 4 stu-pid-it-deeeeee.

RC Champion
    I agree I own both and like both for different reasons. Electric is easier to run and maintaine but nitro has the smell and noise of the engine. If you want to drive for 20 minutes then put it up get electric. If you want to bash for an hour or more and don't mine tinkering and tuning go nitro. Electric only runs as long as your batteries last. Nitro lasts as long as you have fuel to put in the tank. Oh and you don't have to use a battery pack on the 3.3 you can use 4xaa batteries but the battery pack puts out more volts so it's better

RC Champion
    2-3 sets of lipos & 1 decent charger = bashing until you quit...

But your right, there's nothing like the smell of nitro....
    (√) Zer0 tall-er-ance 4 stu-pid-it-deeeeee.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by tootall2
    I just got into this hobby this summer and have no nitro RC experience. What I've found from all my battery experimentation and research is, the ERBE, geared at 20-22/54 will produce 40-50mph speeds. If you couple this with a two pairs of 6500mAh batteries (2C charge rate) and a charger capable of 13 amp, per channel, you will be able to run forever (or until you break something).

I'm using a MaxAmps power setup with a Hyperion Duo3 charger and their 6500mAh batteries. A setup like this is not cheap, but with this, I get 40+ minutes of time running really hard and I can charge my packs in just over 30 minutes.

The other thing you will notice with a good electric setup over nitro is the amount of off the line torque that motors produce compared to engines which have to get the RMPs up into their power band.
    E-Revo + CC MMM + MaxAmps - Skilled at breaking it

I had three nitros this summer sold them all fir an erbe way easier to use and less hassle and stuff to worry about to won't go back to nitro for awhile

RC poster
    Thanks for all of the replies guys....I think I'm leaning more toward the E-Revo

but just go brushless