RC Racer

Experiences running on 2S

Last week I ordered some more batteries (for the kids' trucks) and I decided to have the great guys over at MaxAmps (yeah it's a plug) solder me up a parallel adapter for my ERBE. As much as I like running on 4S and the speeds I'm getting geared at 20/54 there are times when bashing around the neighborhood with my kids, I just don't want that much speed.

The adapter has two separate pieces. One is a 12ga. Y plug, where two female connectors are wired to a single male connector, red to red, black to black. That is plugged into the negative (black) side of my hardwired serial connector off my CC ESC. The other is a loop back plug where a single female connector has a red wire running from the red to black side. That is plugged into the positive (red) side of the ESC. This essentially puts my battery setup at 7.4v at 13000mAh.

This effectively cuts the top-end RMP of the motor in half because maximum motor RMP is Motor Kv * Battery Voltage. What I find myself most impressed with is the actual speed. Due to the fact I rarely approach top-end speeds running 4S, half the top end speed running 2S is faster than I thought it would be. Also, the truck still has as much punch and will pull the front wheels off the ground; but, it's all much more manageable. This in turn takes the fear out of letting my 9 and 11 year old drive the truck, and they are not as intimidated about driving it. Furthermore, within 30 seconds, simply removing the parallel adapter and plugging the batteries straight into the ESC, I'm back to 4S.

Next week or the week after, I will likely order a pair of 6S packs and play with both a 6S and 3S voltage configuration geared at 20/54. My ultimate plan is to provide some further information (speed and temps) when running at different gearings (18/54, 20/54, 22/54) and different voltages (2S, 3S, 4S, 6S).

I'm sure this isn't news to many of you, but I'm sharing this for those who haven't tried, or even considered, a setup like this. This is all info I wished I had access to in a clear and concise format from day 1.

Cheers!
    E-Revo + CC MMM + MaxAmps - Skilled at breaking it

RC Qualifier
    Good stuff bud. I'm very curious about 4s temps with various gearing. My erbe is on backorder, but when it ships I plan on ordering a 4s setup. Will be curious to see what temps you see with various gearing on that voltage. I've read 18/54 is a good balance of speed and reasonable temps on 4s.
    2 ERBEs, Merv,Pede vxl & xl5, mmm/neu rustler

RC Qualifier
    Good findings. I've been very impressed with 3s in parallel. It's plenty fast. I was shocked when I first tried it. I've never ran 2s, but have done 3s-6s. My favorite is still 4s-5s, but I run 4s because I think it is safer for the MMM.

RC Qualifier
    Chet what gearing you run on 4s, and what kinda temps do you see?

RC Qualifier
    18/54, everything is cool but the motor which gets to 170. I can't figure out why though. Most people with this gearing only hit 140-150. I think my slipper is too loose and/or my punch control is too low. I also think my old body wasn't breathing very well. I have a new body, but haven't been driving enough lately to see if it helps. The new body should have better airflow. Hopfully that fixes it. Overall, I'm not really worried about 170. I'm just curious why my temps are higher than others.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by johnf
    Chet what gearing you run on 4s, and what kinda temps do you see?
    I've been looking for an optimal gearing for 2S - 6S setups. I think this will either be 22/54 but more likely 20/54. All my 18/54 running yielded safe temps and decent speeds, but always felt like the truck could be geared a bit faster.

Currently I'm running 20/54. Motor temps peak at around 165 which is where I want it. When running 22/54 I was getting up to low 180s. I painted up and switched to a Proline Slipstream body with the vents cut out. It seems to impact the motor by 10-15 degrees, and I will switch back to 22/54. Unfortunately we are out of the heat for the year and I won't be able to validate things on 85 degree days until next summer.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by chet jamio
    18/54, everything is cool but the motor which gets to 170. I can't figure out why though.
    Have you checked the timing setting or other ESC programming values? This can impact motor temps.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the info Chet and Eric. I think I'll start with the 18/54 setup and go from there depending on temps. Just trying to get an idea what most people run for the voltage I'll be using.

RC Qualifier
    Timing advance is set to 0. Changing from 10 to 0 helped about 10 on the motor temp.