Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Smile Finaly, my 4x4 slash.... kinda...

So i'm finally done.. Ok well, ill be done Monday when my MMM 2200kv setup comes in :P

I absolutely love my slash, but at my race track, there is no slash stock class racing, and theres no way i can keep up with the boys by just throwing in a brushless system into it.. so.. I had to get creative and get myself a 4x4 slash...

So, my buddy sold me his revo cheap.. I ended up converting it to a slayer with a used brushless Novak 6.4 system I picked up and tossed it in. It was so fast, when i ran it in the park, it looked like a boat skipping across the water.. except if i tried to turn, the battery's motor, and ESC were all so high, that it would flip the car. I needed to get the CoG lower if i was going to get anywhere on the track during a race.

After 30 dollars on ebay and 4 days later, my E-Revo chassis showed up, along with its new transmission..

Went to the LHS and picked up an SC8 body, and painted it up!

Thoes who know me have seen my Military OD Green slash in the gallery... well.. I wanted to do something a little more complex, but stick with the military theme..

and here it is..

My Military Woodland Camo 4x4 Slash (or E-Slayer/Revo)

The Fan stickers on the back are temporary until i get to a Hardware store and pick up a 50mm Holeshaw bit. Then ill be replacing the stickers with real 50mm fans
    Last edited by Telnets; 09-27-2009 at 01:57 PM.

RC Competitor
    looks great i like the green on the extra tire. now i want one.

RC Qualifier
    I was going to paint the normal tires green too, and I probably will, but im waiting until the Blitz tires are available and then ill pick up some new wheels for them and put them on.. These switches are just what i had extra from my slash, so i tossed them on some cheap rims..

RC Champion
    looks good!
    RC enthusiast!

Nice work. I like this way of approaching a 4x4 slash better than an E Slayer build. IMO this would be MUCH lighter. The Slayer is one HEAVY truck.

RC Champion
    Aren't they the same thing though? He just used a revo chassis...
    RC enthusiast!

RC Qualifier
    Rancho Tehama or Red Bluff area or California
    Who cares if it is revo it is still traxxas. That should be awesome on the track. Jeebers I wish I had the funds to build that now.
    Broken parts=New better parts

RC Qualifier
    I could have bought a Slayer, then changed it to a e-slayer with this chassis just as well. I only did it as a revo -> E-Revo -> E-slayer route because i couldnt afford the slayer at the time.. and i bought the revo and the Novak motor/esc for 250 together.. so this was a cheaper route for me.

By converting it to an e-revo chassis, i shed the fwd/rev servo/links, the 2 speed transmission, machanical break linkage & servo, lowered the CoG with the battery trays, and balanced the truck by splitting the batteries rather then stacking them on a side and trying to balance with the motor on the other.

I also made it a bit more maintanance & cleaning friendly since all the servo boxes and stuff that were there are now gone, and almost everything is covered.

I sold all my revo parts to my buddy for 200 including the motor, and picked up a MMM for mine.. and he picked up a 150 slayer roller hes going to use to build a electric slayer..

Soon as my MMM gets here ill pop it in and grab a few vids of it on the track
    Last edited by Telnets; 09-27-2009 at 03:51 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Since my mailbox just filled up with people interested on the differences between running a revo conversion and a e-revo conversion.. heres a pic of my revo-slayer conversion after it was built

you can see that between the 2, the e-revo is a lot more streamlined.. and though the chassis is slightly heavier then the metal one, the weight savings from shedding all the extra mechanical stuff and spreading out the weight of the batteries really de-clutters the whole thing quite a bit.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Telnets
    So i'm finally done.. Ok well, ill be done Monday when my MMM 2200kv setup comes in :P

I absolutely love my slash, but at my race track, there is no slash stock class racing, and theres no way i can keep up with the boys by just throwing in a brushless system into it.. so.. I had to get creative and get myself a 4x4 slash...

So, my buddy sold me his revo cheap.. I ended up converting it to a slayer with a used brushless Novak 6.4 system I picked up and tossed it in. It was so fast, when i ran it in the park, it looked like a boat skipping across the water.. except if i tried to turn, the battery's motor, and ESC were all so high, that it would flip the car. I needed to get the CoG lower if i was going to get anywhere on the track during a race.

After 30 dollars on ebay and 4 days later, my E-Revo chassis showed up, along with its new transmission..

Went to the LHS and picked up an SC8 body, and painted it up!

Thoes who know me have seen my Military OD Green slash in the gallery... well.. I wanted to do something a little more complex, but stick with the military theme..

and here it is..

My Military Woodland Camo 4x4 Slash (or E-Slayer/Revo)

The Fan stickers on the back are temporary until i get to a Hardware store and pick up a 50mm Holeshaw bit. Then ill be replacing the stickers with real 50mm fans
    i wish i had one.... even tho i dont race that looks like an awesome basher
    Wide Rustler | "Bulldog" Backslash 4x4

RC Champion
    do you know how fast it would be with a vxl system.... lets say, on 7cell nimh? from what i hear it wouldnt be fast at all o.o

RC Champion
    Im guessing since its 4 wheel drive, you would have to install dual VXL systems like you would in an EMaxx.
    2 Stock Slashes
    2 Mod Slash VXLs
    Emaxx
    P4DE

RC Competitor
    He doesnt need dual motors. He said he will be running a 2200kv brushless motor which is plent to get that bad boy 55+ mph.

You did a great job! Love the paint scheme. You should paint the rims green anyways, it will look better.

Just an idea but why would you put the two fans on the rear when there is nothing there to cool, well just the bumper?
    Slash w/MM 5700kv, 3s Lipo and many other goodies.

RC Qualifier
    For the same reason there is a roof rack on the car :P They will just be for added scale look.. nothing more..

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RCing
    He doesnt need dual motors. He said he will be running a 2200kv brushless motor which is plent to get that bad boy 55+ mph.
    he was answering my question

I would think the E revo to E 4x4 Slash would handle the high speeds better due to the longer wheel base as well.

RC Qualifier
    very nice!!!!!
    GARAGE
    e-revo, ME-revo, micro-t, slash, DX3S

RC Champion
    this truck is absolutly awesome. (I have the exact same thing)

very fun....and i've got the E-Revo 120mm (long travel) suspension up front...great for jumping...and 90mm in the rear but with long travel springs...

I"ll be buying an SC8 body for mine as well soon...this thing SCREAMS on 6s LiPo with the 2200kv MMM package...I'm gonna tune it a bit though on my PC see if I can get some more out of this thing...

i'll admit it..it's more fun them my Slash and my Rustler...a roll cage might be in order for this though...i'll fab up something at work though
    Fluttershy is best pony.

RC Qualifier
    Thanx fox.. im just waiting for a nice day to get it out on the track now.. Fall is here which means i probably wont be using this much untill next june which is when things get nice again

RC Champion
    Looks Gud! I love that body.

RC Qualifier
    it looks reall bright in the pic because the sun was directly over it.. but in person its actualy quite dark.. in the house it looks almost black.. its kind of neat..

RC Qualifier
    oh man this thing is sweet. i have only two questions...
    1) why did you use the sc8 body and not the slash or slayer body? or even one of prolines bodies? like the desert rat.
    2) how did you attach the bumpers to the e revo chassis? they are the slayer bumpers, right?

RC Qualifier
    Answers:
    1: The E-Revo chassis is 17" in length (aprox) where as the slash/slayer is only 15.5", that means the wheel base on my truck is 1.5" longer then a slash/slayer so thoes bodies wont fit right or look right. The only CORR style truck body that will fit at this time is the SC8.. (As far as I could find anyhow)

2: The bumpers are slayer bumpers, and are a direct fit. They use the same mounting's as the revo/slayer and E-Revo.. so there was zero problem fitting them on
    Last edited by Telnets; 10-02-2009 at 03:33 PM.

RC Qualifier
    color me impressed!
    My Roller will never be complete.

RC Champion
    Answers:
    1: The E-Revo chassis is 17" in length (aprox) where as the slash/slayer is only 15.5", that means the wheel base on my truck is 1.5" longer then a slash/slayer so thoes bodies wont fit right or look right. The only CORR style truck body that will fit at this time is the SC8.. (As far as I could find anyhow)

2: The bumpers are slayer bumpers, and are a direct fit. They use the same mounting's as the revo/slayer and E-Revo.. so there was zero problem fitting them on

Yup...reason being i'm buying a SC8 body for my E-Slayer/ 4wd Slash
    Fluttershy is best pony.

RC Qualifier
    If anyone is interested, I actualy spend the last 2 days creating a guide of how to build and what you need to convert one of these..

it covers going from a Nitro Revo or Nitro Slayer to an E-Slayer
    also an E-Revo to an E-Slayer..

and if you already converted a Nitro over to an E-Slayer, it also covers how to convert that, to the E-Slayer with the E-Revo chassis like the one i have..

Ill be putting it online in the next day or so for anyone interested in reading it.. ive just finished up the parts listings for each conversion so feedback of anything i missed would be great! or any questions you have i could include in the FAQ section..

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I have a question about your paint (which is x-lent I may add). What colors did you use and is there a formula as far as what color goes next to each other to get the camo look right? This one is inspiring!
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I just seen that you killed 7 people, 15 jeeps, 6 tanks, and 2 aircraft with it. Do you call this one "Project Special Forces"?
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Qualifier
    Hehe i just call it added detail and humor to the door And i only killed more jeeps then people because it looked better not having the numbers going smaller every line

As for the colors, no sorry, the are just faskolor off the shelf colors that i mixed by hand..

to help you get started though, for green, i started with... green.. i know its a shock but wait ;P add LITERALY a few drops of red.. it will turn it a grose green VERY FAST,, i only add a drop at a time then mix it.. a little yellow will give it a touch of lime color to it, and adding white will make it more of a creamy green.. i use brown to darken it, not black..

and with thoes colors i just keep going back and forth and mixing it all together till i get a somewhat olive drab type of green. I usualy have something olive drab next to me to compare like my diecast hummer

for the browns, it was just fasbrown, with a little black to make it darker..

RC Qualifier
    thats an awesome paint job & machine. i just hope that on Oct.8th you wont be kicking urself in the pants.
    BTW, will you make 1 for me?
    My Roller will never be complete.

RC Qualifier
    How about we wait till oct 8 and see what happens :P

Even if a 4x4 slash does come out, Ill just buy the shorter chassis, switch everything over and paint a new body :P That is of course unless they did some totally new design, but Traxxas already has a good thing going with the E-Revo setup.. so i dont see why they would do all that R&D when they have a 4x4 slash sitting infront of them if they just cut the chassis down by an inch and a bit.

RC Champion
    How about we wait till oct 8 and see what happens :P

Even if a 4x4 slash does come out, Ill just buy the shorter chassis, switch everything over and paint a new body :P That is of course unless they did some totally new design, but Traxxas already has a good thing going with the E-Revo setup.. so i dont see why they would do all that R&D when they have a 4x4 slash sitting infront of them if they just cut the chassis down by an inch and a bit.

i might do the same actually...i'll wait till the 8th to order my SC8 body lol
    Fluttershy is best pony.

RC Qualifier
    so its not really a slash.. its a e slayer..

In a box on Hwy. 64 bashin' with Bradley Youngskins!
    Quote Originally Posted by traxxas4fun
    so its not really a slash.. its a e slayer..
    Correct...

RC Qualifier
    Then the 1:16 would be a mini e-slayer wouldnt it

Traxxas and thier naming schemes! :P

In a box on Hwy. 64 bashin' with Bradley Youngskins!
    Yea, it's debateable. lol

I'm talking technical, it is an E-Slayer. lol

RC Qualifier
    seriously, the only thing that the 1/16 slash 4wd has in common with the 1/10 slash is the SC theme, and the slayer looks the same as a slash from the outside (body, bumpers, wheels and tires)

slash is 2wd and has 'normal' suspension
    slayer is 4wd and has revo suspension
    1/16 slash is 4wd and has revo suspension, same as the 1/10 slayer

if you put slayer arms, shafts, bumpers, body, wheels and tires on an e-revo chassis, you have a 1/10 version of the 1/16 slash 4wd

the differences between a nitro revo and an e-revo are the EXACT same differences as between a nitro slayer and an e-slayer (when using an e-revo chassis and parts)

major messup in the naming of the 1/16 slash 4wd IMO, traxxas should have used common sense
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

RC Qualifier
    yeah it would have made more sence just calling it the Mini E-Slayer.. but i guess the Slash name is pretty big and what broke the market, so from a marketing aspect, it made sence saying "here is a slash" then it did saying "here is a slayer". people might have thought "why would i want a mini nitro"...

i AM glad they didnt just make a real 1:16 slash though.. I can barely keep the little guy on the ground as it is.. i couldnt imagine trying to do it with only 2wd :P

RC Qualifier
    yeah it would have made more sence just calling it the Mini E-Slayer.. but i guess the Slash name is pretty big and what broke the market, so from a marketing aspect, it made sence saying "here is a slash" then it did saying "here is a slayer". people might have thought "why would i want a mini nitro"...

i AM glad they didnt just make a real 1:16 slash though.. I can barely keep the little guy on the ground as it is.. i couldnt imagine trying to do it with only 2wd :P
    thats the only reason i could see traxxas selling it as a 'slash'... the slash market is HUGE, whereas the slayer is essentially a flop compaired to the revo platform (3.3, e-revo or summit, not slayer) or slash

the accuracy of all the parts on a mini e-revo is completely crazy, i was looking at one at my LHS and pretty much all of the parts are exact scaled down copies of the same parts on my 1/10 e-revo

if they made an exact 1/16 replica of the 1/10 slash, it would undoubtably handle like a turd... high center of gravity, mediocre suspension design, and only 2wd would make for a very poor design
    MMM E-Revo
    VXL Slash 4x4
    VXL Slash 2wd

So you've taken an e-revo and put a slash body on it and called it a 4x4 slash???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast