Thread: Nimh

RC Qualifier

Nimh

do any of you guys run your ERBE on 7 cell NIMH , such as the Powercells or Duratrax 4600 or 5000 mah ? if so how does it go on them ?
    ERBE - 8ight T/E - Kyosho Inferno

RC Champion
    We've run my wife's ERBE on 6 cell NiMH packs, performance was ok, but it's really hard on the batteries, and since NiMH has a higher Internal Resistance, it's really hard on the MMM's brake circuit as well.

Not recommended.
    -Harry | Racing and Painting
    1stGenPaint

RC Qualifier
    i asked because Traxxas Tech Support says it is perfectly fine to run NIMH and the performance was great in testing the ERBE with 7 cells ... also the hobby shop guys say you don't have to run Lipo .

I want opinions from the experts here though ! I don't have any lipos now and this is going to be my next truck , I love my 1/16 EREVO so I want a full size (not brushed ) and I have like 10 NIMH packs and when I make the purchase for $600 I want to use what I got . I look at this like my Slash , when it was brushed I use NIMH and it wasn't good . I got a VXL system , used the same packs and it was awesome , so I'm hoping the MMM system will be better than the brushed with the same pack ....

RC Qualifier
    you can't do any full throtle. and limit bursts to 2 secs.

Good quality pack will run ok with the Mamba Monster system. You will just have to gear conservatively and turn the settings down on the Mamba Monster. Also, I would keep a close eye on the battery temperatures.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Racer
    Just posted this in another thread: http://monster.traxxas.com/showpost....21&postcount=3
    E-Revo + CC MMM + MaxAmps - Skilled at breaking it

RC Qualifier
    ericsenf- thanks just read the threads.

but it is mostly all lipo conversation , i get that the ERBE will run best on Lipo but why does traxxas advertise and tell me its ok to run 8.4 5000 mah nimh on the out of the box gearing ? i would like to buy the truck , use it and see about lipo later if possible .

You can do that. Just gear conservatively. I would recommend the Promatch Ener-g ni-mh packs. they are some of the best and have great prices.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Qualifier
    what do you mean by gear conservativley ? 18/65 with 7 cells for general bashing ? (no grass )

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mass-tmaxx
    but it is mostly all lipo conversation , i get that the ERBE will run best on Lipo but why does traxxas advertise and tell me its ok to run 8.4 5000 mah nimh on the out of the box gearing ? i would like to buy the truck , use it and see about lipo later if possible .
    I called both Castle and Traxxas about this. Supposedly documentation will be updated removing the NiMH recommendation. The reason for the LiPos is the ESCs need for amperage. You get far more amps from LiPo and LiFe packs than NiMH packs can deliver. When I went BL on my E-Revo, I started with 6-cell and 7-cell NiMH packs. You _can_ run a really good quality and good condition 7-cell pack in the ERBE _but_ with LiPo you get far more amps which provides more initial punch, faster speeds (with gearing), and far longer run times.

I was only getting 10-15 minutes of run time from 5000mAh 7-cell NiMH packs which would then take 45+ minutes to charge. With my current LiPo setup I'm geared to run about 45mph, get 40+ minutes of hard run time and can charge a pair of batteries in just over 30 minutes. As I started looking for more run time and power, I quickly realized that my only option was to sell off all my NiMH and switch to LiPo versus buy more NiMH packs.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mass-tmaxx
    what do you mean by gear conservativley ? 18/65 with 7 cells for general bashing ? (no grass )
    This is geared conservatively. At top-end RMP with fully fresh perfect HiMH 7-cell packs you will be less than 35mph. The motor and speed control you have can easily get into the 40+ mph range with 18/54 gearing, and with the proper batteries 65+ is will within range. With a 2S LiPo setup you will get more speed out of less voltage because rmp = motor kv * voltage. What causes this is amperage rating. You will get about 150 peak amps on your NiMHs. The longer you are at peak, the more you will heat up the cells, heat shortens life, but that's just how it works. Take a decent higher mAh LiPo and you can be producing 350+ peak amps. The more amps you have the more aggressively you can gear. The CC ESC likes 120 amps minimum.