RC Enthusiast

Anyone upgraded Spektrum DX3s to DX3r?

Before I go and blow some more $$ on my hobby, I thought I would check if anyone has done this and noticed a 'huge' difference and if it's worth the extra?. Naturally I want nothing but the best for my much loved E REVO BRUSHLESS....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by NZpest
    Before I go and blow some more $$ on my hobby, I thought I would check if anyone has done this and noticed a 'huge' difference and if it's worth the extra?. Naturally I want nothing but the best for my much loved E REVO BRUSHLESS....
    Ever thought about switching teams??
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTHR6
    Last edited by SlotterHouse; 10-14-2009 at 10:29 PM.
    (√) Zer0 tall-er-ance 4 stu-pid-it-deeeeee.

RC Enthusiast
    Ever thought about switching teams??
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTHR6
    Are these better again? Do you have/used one? I have had a 3PK in the past, seemed a little better quality than the spekrum IMO.
    Last edited by NZpest; 10-14-2009 at 10:41 PM.

RC Champion
    Yes I do have one, Upgraded from the 3PK myslf.

I'm not going to say that this is the best controller available, cause I know where that ends up going. But I will say that I can't imagine anything out there topping it...

At least not for a while....
    Last edited by SlotterHouse; 10-14-2009 at 10:54 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Cool, but is the response time that much faster? do you really notice a difference?

RC Champion
    It's much faster than my 3PK w/spektrum 2.4 module yes...

And the new "jog" button makes scanning through all the features/settings so much easier than that of the 3PK...

I know there not cheap, but once you open that box, and have it in your hand,....Well, how does it go???........

Priceless......

And thats just the beginning.....
    Last edited by SlotterHouse; 10-14-2009 at 11:16 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    Great, that bug has bitten again, now I will track down and purchase, THANKS..

RC Champion
    Tower has the e-z pay, or you can often find good prices on the bay...

Trust me, you won't regret your purchase.

And if you want to go a step further:
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVUD3&P=BR
    Last edited by SlotterHouse; 10-14-2009 at 11:33 PM.

RC Champion
    NZpest...PM sent

RC Champion
    To answer the original question, I personally notice a response difference on my carpet cars using my DX3r with DSM2 receiver over a DX3s with standard DSM, but it's not enough for most people to pick up on, or even find worthwhile. I'm always looking for the fastest servos and the most "connected" feel for my onroad cars, so I love my 3r.

That said, on my off-road cars, I have no preference for either radio [own both, wife uses the DX3s]. Steering in the dirt is so much sloppier [and actually more forgiving in a racing situation because of this] with inconsistent grip and the play you need for free operation in an off-road vehicle that the extra bit of response time you'd get from a DX3r wouldn't even be noticed in most situations.

HTH.
    -Harry | Racing and Painting
    1stGenPaint

RC Champion
    I have tried M11 with spektrum, M11 with airtronics 2.4, Futaba 3pm with FAAST, Futaba 4pk FASST, DX3S, DX3R, and KO EX-10 Helios.

I can afford any of them, but i chose the 3pk with FAAST, because I like the way the radio felt, and it was as fast to respond as the 4pk, which topped all of the others.

I would rate them like so:

1. 3PKs FAAST
    2. 4PK
    3. M11 with Airtronics 2.4
    4. EX-10 helios
    5. M11 with spektrum
    6. Dx3r
    7. Dx3s
    HB Ve8 w/ tekin (AWESOME)
    E-Slayer w/MMM
    SC10

RC Racer
    Do any of the futubas support telemetry?
    I still own a nomadio sensor, which is great. But support now is very bad. So I might be considering a new radio.

RC Champion
    I run a DX3R and the 5.5ms frame rate of DSM2 with digital servos is a huge improvement over the standard 11ms frame rate of DSM. I love my DX3R, it's the most comfortable radio I've ever used too as it only uses 4x AA batteries making it nice and light.

I've previously had a JR XS3, Futaba 3PM, Spektrum DX3, DX3.0 and now the DX3R.

RC Qualifier
    I like my 3PK w/Spektrum Module, personal preference. I think the Spektrum DX2.0 & DX3.0 are better then the DX3r/DX3s just IMO,The Dx3R & DX3S are nice radio's, I just have had extremely bad luck with my DX3R. I started out with a Spektrum DX2.0, then went a Dx3.0, then went to a DX3R9that's when I had 2 run-away vehicles, sold on ebay, then bought a Futaba 3PK w/Spektrum module and never look back. The 4PK is supposed to be a really nice radio, but I don't have the funds for that because I would have to change all my receivers. For what it's worth, my buddy is sponsered by Futaba and he was using the 4PK (per Futaba Requirements) and said he lost 3 races due to the radio malfunctioning, he doesn't know if it was justa fluke, he then lost another race with it and told Futaba and was going back to the 3PK and said everything was OK after that.
    OH WELL, YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A TEKIN RX8...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton7
    I like my 3PK w/Spektrum Module, personal preference. I think the Spektrum DX2.0 & DX3.0 are better then the DX3r/DX3s just IMO,The Dx3R & DX3S are nice radio's, I just have had extremely bad luck with my DX3R. I started out with a Spektrum DX2.0, then went a Dx3.0, then went to a DX3R9that's when I had 2 run-away vehicles, sold on ebay, then bought a Futaba 3PK w/Spektrum module and never look back. The 4PK is supposed to be a really nice radio, but I don't have the funds for that because I would have to change all my receivers. For what it's worth, my buddy is sponsered by Futaba and he was using the 4PK (per Futaba Requirements) and
    said he lost 3 races due to the radio malfunctioning
    , he doesn't know if it was justa fluke, he then lost another race with it and told Futaba and was going back to the 3PK and said everything was OK after that.
    Can he elaborate??

Sounds like a "fluke" to me.....

Mine has been nothing but flawless....
    Last edited by SlotterHouse; 10-15-2009 at 06:25 AM.

RC Racer
    Thanks to this thread I'm now a poor man again
    Took a look at the 4PK and love it.
    So ordered it from the bay. Will be selling the nomadio Sensor soon, hope I'll get some money for that.