Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

mountain bike or traxxas jato

ok so my dad says that i have to pick beetween my traxxas jato and a 700$ mountain bike that i need help picking out

ok so i put like 500 dollors on my jato

and i want a bike for hardtrails and jumping
    so can u guys help me pick one incase i want one instead of my rc car?
    slayer 3.3

jato 3.3 part out!!!

RC Champion
    I'd get the bicycle. It's definitely a longer term item to own. Not to mention the fact that it's an active outdoor activity. You'll get fantastic cardiovascular exercise.

It's evidently already something you really enjoy. Get the bike. You won't regret it.

The bike... what were you looking at?
    Some like R/C's that are fast, others like nitro

RC Qualifier
    do u guys think this is a good deal?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/bik/1433270390.html
    slayer 3.3

jato 3.3 part out!!!

RC Racer
    i dont know much about bikes so cant say nothing about that one in link but i say go with the bike its fun and you get a workout
    http://outlawrccrawlers.createaforum.com/index.php

Not a bad deal, but you're gonna want a hardtail based on what you said you wanted to do with it. That bike is going to be tiring as crap.

RC Qualifier
    but i do downhill and jumping
    slayer 3.3

jato 3.3 part out!!!

Jumping with like jumps or just off ledges, and a hardtail is good up to like 10 feet if your body can handle it. realistically unless you are doing drops over 5 feet you don't need a hardtail, but something doesn't seem right about that deal looking back on it. 260 for a full suspension bike is NOT enough. There must be something wrong with it, probably stolen. The general rule (when buying new of course) is to not get any full sus. bikes under a grand. That being said when you consider a 60 percent drop (which is a lot) 400 would even be low. Check for cracks/twists in the frame, leaky forks, anything that would make an expensive part bad.

RC Champion
    i would choose bike because im not a nitro person not that i dont like nitro, but it is very polluting and puts more money toward the use of oil.

please dont flame me because this is just my opinion, i know that we use coal and Natural gas to make electricity, but i think natural gas is cleaner and that we can find other ways to make electricity, hydroelectric, wind, solar, ect in the future. but nitro you will always be buying nitro, you cant buy non-polluting and renewable nitro fuel. (that i know of)

IMO dont flame me i am

EDIT: what is a hardtail and why do you need it? if u mean only front suspension then okay but why only front? if u do jumps i would want dual suspension. (i think)

Most people think that full suspension would be better for jumping (myself included), but once you try jumping a full suspension bike you will realize why in a hurry. Having full suspension makes it very hard to control the rear of the bike during takeoff, and you will have a great inconcistency in your jumping. If you are only doing drops then a full sus. bike is fine, but trying to ride one (a downhill bike that is) on any kind of trail or dirt jumping trail isn't going to go all too well.

EDIT: Andyes, a hardtail is front suspension only.

RC Qualifier
    Jato 3.3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Confused rcer

RC Qualifier
    I've gotta Giant STP 2 medium frame complete I'm thinking about getting rid of. Super great shape. I'll let ya know.
    MERV/MMP/1112 1y/4s
    Slash 4x4/MMM/2650/4s/5s

RC Qualifier
    why is that a Q?

RC Qualifier
    If you haven't decided yet, I say get the bike. It is good exercise and is also good alternative transportation for when your 1:1 car breaks down. I have had the best luck over the years with Trek, Specialized, and Gary Fisher. My newest bike is a 2008 Gary Fisher Tassajara, this is my first bike with hydraulic disc brakes, they will put you over the bar in a heartbeat if you aren't careful. $700 would get you a new Trek 4500 or a Gary Fisher Marlin, both are great bikes for the price range.
    Last edited by rusty stampede; 11-02-2009 at 08:15 PM.

RC Racer
    I'd say get the bike the specialized P. 1 goes for about 700 i think I have an STP 3, desent bike. Both hard tails

RC Champion
    yea, u wont get a full sus. for only $700. you can get a good hardtail for around that much tho i think from specialized...
    Wide Rustler | "Bulldog" Backslash 4x4

RC Champion
    Get a bike... You won't have to buy something for your bike once a week like an R/C...No hard feelings to Traxxas.

Quote Originally Posted by rusty stampede
    If you haven't decided yet, I say get the bike. It is good exercise and is also good alternative transportation for when your 1:1 car breaks down. I have had the best luck over the years with Trek, Specialized, and Gary Fisher. My newest bike is a 2008 Gary Fisher Tassajara, this is my first bike with hydraulic disc brakes, they will put you over the bar in a heartbeat if you aren't careful. $700 would get you a new Trek 4500 or a Gary Fisher Marlin, both are great bikes for the price range.
    +1 To all of this. I got a Trek 4500 and I love it. I have went on some crazy down hill stuff and it does great. Also I THINK that trek also has something to do with Gary Fisher bikes.

I have rode a full susp. bike and it didn't feel right on the trails. The rear end seems unpredictable.

Heres the trek 4500.
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...4_series/4500/
    Last edited by 31794ty; 11-02-2009 at 09:43 PM.
    Stampede VXL Mini-T Nitro Stampede RC10T RC10B4 FT

RC Champion
    i love my full suspension trek! unpredictable? feels soft, but not unpredictable. of course i dont jump tho...
    Wide Rustler | "Bulldog" Backslash 4x4

RC Racer
    just to be diffrent id say the jato

RC Racer
    Mountain bike. A jato is a heap of fun, but I would go for a bike first, Jato second. Going hard on a trail with the wind and dust in your face and the trees whipping by is just too good

RC Champion
    Looks like e-maxx guy left his thread.

RC Qualifier
    How about a cheap walmart bike and still get the Jato.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jclay
    How about a cheap walmart bike and still get the Jato.
    Because cheap Walmart bikes aren't good quality.

I would definately get the bike.

I have a Specialized Bighit Comp that weighs around 40 pounds. I can ride it where all my friends do on their hardtails, but it is very tiring. If you're not planning on doing huge jumps or drops, I'd go with a dirt jump bike like one of the Specialized P series bikes. If you're not planning on doing anything technical and uphill, then an all mountain bike would be good, like the Specialized Enduro. All Mountain bikes have full suspension, but are lighter than a downhill bike and almost as capable.
    Life is just a box of chocolates!

RC Qualifier
    Also I THINK that trek also has something to do with Gary Fisher bikes.
    Trek owns Gary Fisher, they are still two separate companies though. Trek bought GF from the Taiwanese company that he originally sold out to after they almost ran it into the ground.

RC Qualifier
    I'd say get a bike.

You have to decide on what you are going to be doing on your bike the most first. Dirt Jumps, Street, Trails, Downhill, Freeriding, or Commuting. If you are gonna be jumping, I'd get a Dj bike. I got a Black Market Riot. That is one sick bike for jumping. It can handle the biggest Dj and skateparks with ease. Black Market may be out of your price range though. You can find any of the Specialized P series bikes, Giant STP, or Cannondale Chase (owned one of these before my Riot, great bike.). I'd go to your local bike shop and test ride a bunch of bikes.

Current Arsenal:Revo 3.3, Rustler VXL, and Rc18t

RC Qualifier
    Go with a Kona Five-O if you want a more freeride'ish MTB Stock.
    MMM/FLM 3905 E-Maxx
    Villan EX

RC Qualifier
    bike!!!!!!
    R.I.P Paul Gray
    1972-2010

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 31794ty
    I have rode a full susp. bike and it didn't feel right on the trails. The rear end seems unpredictable.
    Having ridden/owned hard tails, and full suspension bikes for years, the rear end on a full suspension bike is a lot more predictable than a hard tail, the rear end stays more planted over the rough stuff. Unless you're riding a cheap full suspension bike, it is going to handle trails better (with exception to climbing).

That said, there are some awesome hard tails out there that are a blast on the trails, I wouldn't hesitate to get another one if I had the money.
    Last edited by Blone; 11-04-2009 at 09:45 PM.
    Jammin SCRT10 4x4
    1/16 VXL Slash
    Revo 3.3
    SC10

RC Champion
    wat bike is that monsterpede? i need a good bike like that.
    i bet my Quad could out RIP your Quad!!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by e-maxx guy
    ok so my dad says that i have to pick beetween my traxxas jato and a 700$ mountain bike that i need help picking out

ok so i put like 500 dollors on my jato

and i want a bike for hardtrails and jumping
    so can u guys help me pick one incase i want one instead of my rc car?
    Bike
    MTB is my primary hobby. I like to RC on the street with my kid when the trails are rained out.
    And a hardtail does not do 10 foot drops. Unless your talking ramps with transitions. Jumps or drops to flat on a hardtail require mucho finesse. 10 foot = cracked frame or rider usually.
    Fully's are good for soaking up the bumps and making the trails easier on your body.Also allows you to pick lazier lines...
    figure out what kind of riding your going to do initially and possibly in the near future.
    I ride mostly hardtail here in the midwest. We dont have much elevation.
    T

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris York
    wat bike is that monsterpede? i need a good bike like that.
    Its a Black Market Riot. They are about 1200 brand new stock

Quote Originally Posted by Justanotherguy
    Bike
    MTB is my primary hobby. I like to RC on the street with my kid when the trails are rained out.
    And a hardtail does not do 10 foot drops. Unless your talking ramps with transitions. Jumps or drops to flat on a hardtail require mucho finesse. 10 foot = cracked frame or rider usually.
    Fully's are good for soaking up the bumps and making the trails easier on your body.Also allows you to pick lazier lines...
    figure out what kind of riding your going to do initially and possibly in the near future.
    I ride mostly hardtail here in the midwest. We dont have much elevation.
    T
    Bull crap you can't do 10 foot drops on a hardtail. I beg to differ.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmAeDLf8hzA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64rFQffl-Nw

360 to flat on a BMX bike.

RC Qualifier
    i like the second one best
    R.I.P Paul Gray
    1972-2010

RC Qualifier
    Jato!!!!

Who rides bikes these days? Thats what they made cars for. lol
    Slash MMP 4600kv
    Slash VXL

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by MONSTERpede
    Its a Black Market Riot. They are about 1200 brand new stock

Bull crap you can't do 10 foot drops on a hardtail. I beg to differ.
    360 to flat on a BMX bike.
    I swear to effing god reading comprehension is crap on the intraweb.

Go back an reread it.
    mucho finesse...Its not going to be a good thing once, much less over and over. IF he has the skills. If he dont its going to end badly.
    maybe it'll be another High-larious youtube video.

RC Champion
    From experience, a 10ft drop on a hardtail isnt that hard at all. Especially if the drop has a really good run out. The drop had about 50ft gap between the landing and the beginning of the next jump that also has a go around.
    The Red Bull drop at Diablo Freeride park is about 15ftx15ft. I did with my hardtail, hurt like a baseball bat to the back of my hands, and i loved every minute of it. But its part of the sport i love. DH racing and Freeriding are my passion. If its possible, give it a try. Bones heal, glory lasts forever.
    Retired RC'r till funds can be found...:(

RC Champion
    I didn't know you could get a decent bike for $1,200.00.....Must be made of chromoly, or some other out-dated material..
    (√) Zer0 tall-er-ance 4 stu-pid-it-deeeeee.

RC Champion
    Thats about the price range for a mid-high level dirt jumper. But if you have $1,200 for a used bike, you'd be surprised what you could get.
    Retired RC'r till funds can be found...:(

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Justanotherguy
    I swear to effing god reading comprehension is crap on the intraweb.

Go back an reread it.
    mucho finesse...Its not going to be a good thing once, much less over and over. IF he has the skills. If he dont its going to end badly.
    maybe it'll be another High-larious youtube video.
    Mucho finesse? Speak english. I am not telling the kid to go hit 10ft drops. I was just answering back to what you said. You sound like a trail rider anyways, so we should just stop here. I am not sure what kind of hardtail you ride, but I know mine won't be cracking on a 10ft drop anytime soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast