RC Competitor

are big bore shocks worth it?

hi

i recently lost the bottom thing on my stock shocks (the thing the spring compresses on) and i was wondering if i should just upgrade to big bore aluminium shocks.

i never really like the stock shocks and they are so cheap!! (plastic where every other car from other companies has alum)

i have heard that the traxxas big bore shocks are exellent and i can get them for 46 dollars. are they are good upgrade from the stock ones?

i am looking for smoothness,realiability and strength.

thanx a lot guys
    3s lipo=awsomeness

RC Qualifier
    I had all kinds of issues with my stock shocks, they didn't last long. I'm running bb's now and they have been great.
    rustler 3s
    merv MMP/NEU 1112 4s
    ERBE 4s

RC Champion
    i was bending shafts about every other run on my stock shocks

I upgraded to the slash big bores kit about a month ago and have yet to even scratch one of the shafts.

they are very much worth it

One suggestion though is the soft red springs that the slash big bores come with are too soft for the rear so i bought a set of stock slash rear springs and it was magic they work perfectly.
    I HATE CURBS

RC Champion
    stock springs work on bb's right? i was wondering if my integy springs would fit
    Wide Rustler | "Bulldog" Backslash 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by vxlkid
    stock springs work on bb's right? i was wondering if my integy springs would fit
    Virtually any 1/10th scale off road spring will fit any 1/10th scale off road shock. All you need is the right spring cups and retainers to make it work.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    yes i did run my stock springs for a while all you have to do is use you old spring cups(that you lost). don't worry though they are cheap part #3768
    http://www.rcplanet.com/SearchResult...x=0&Search.y=0
    I HATE CURBS

RC Champion
    imo, all metal shocks are the same. i wanna get the piggyback shocks cuz they help eliminate airbubbles. and they look better

have a nice day
    warn: 40% and rising!

Quote Originally Posted by rc guy
    imo, all metal shocks are the same. i wanna get the piggyback shocks cuz they help eliminate airbubbles. and they look better

have a nice day
    If that is supposed to be a joke it is not very funny. If it is supposed to be advise you fail.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    I would go with these: ://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_Big_Bore_Shocks_Slash_p/tra5862.htm

Great price, and they come with progressives. But as said above, most 1/10 scale springs will fit on 1/10 shocks, but the efirestorm springs do not, so dont get those
    The biggest thing i've broken: My wallet.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj
    If that is supposed to be a joke it is not very funny. If it is supposed to be advise you fail.
    hes mocking redemption i think. theres also a little advice in there too tho!
    Wide Rustler | "Bulldog" Backslash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    In a word.... YES

My Big Bores came with white progresive rate springs with little red markings on them... But either way I couldn't be happier with them. I was bending shock shafts left and right before... Now no worries!!

Boone722
    Traxxas big bores are a good investment.I have tried others ! trying to save some money.And then in the end going with the bb. So yes go with them you should be very happy your purchase..

RC Qualifier
    I've never heard of people having problems with the stock rustler shocks. My truck is at least 4-5 years old and I'm still running the original shocks. (Its so old it originally came with the MSC. Thats manual speed control for those who dont know) I only rebuilt them once because I was bored, and all I did was replace the seals and put heavier weight oil. Never lost any parts or bent any shafts. And I do beat my truck pretty hard. It has a MM5700kv motor probably doing around 45 mph. And I have had some pretty gnarly crashes to. Maybe I just got lucky with my shocks.

RC Qualifier
    Bent my first shock yesterday badly, and also bent the other rear a little too, Big bores for me!!
    Go hard or go Home!

RC Champion
    you know zeek now that you said you never had problems you going to bend the living heck out of those shocks.

that's just how this world works
    I HATE CURBS

Quote Originally Posted by Dj1793
    you know zeek now that you said you never had problems you going to bend the living heck out of those shocks.

That is a pretty pessimistic view of things.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Just orded some $60 AUD delivered the best i can get them for here is $100 at my LHS
    Go hard or go Home!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj1793

Eh, if it happens it happens. If I break my shocks its probably because I was trying to jump it over my house.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by zeek View Post
    If I break my shocks its probably because I was trying to jump it over my house.
    DO IT!
    SLASH 2X4 VXL
    VINTAGE BIG BEAR

There are other benefits to the Big bores over the stock Ultra shocks then stronger shafts.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Racer
    I have had my big bores since around 2006. I had them on my Nitro Rusty. Now that my Nitro is retired I use them on my electric. They still working great.
    Brushless Rustler XL5 - MERV VXL

I think wrenching on your trucks is half of the fun of being in the hobby, but if there is only thing I'd pay someone to do, it is rebuilding shocks, don't like doing it at all. I have to rebuild the stock shocks after about 10 runs or so, they leak or they break just below the shock cap (aluminum caps). The only time I have to touch my BBs is when I want to change the shock oil. If it has been a while I'll break them completely down and replace all of the software.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired