Thread: Should I...

RC Champion

Question Should I...

Ok I'm buying an erbe this week but I have a delema. Should I buy a roller then add a tekin rx8 or should I buy a new erbe and sell the mmm and buy a tekin or should I buy a new erbe and just run the mmm? I have the money waiting to bespent I just can't decide what way to go
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Champion
    I would get the ERBE , its gonna be cheaper in the long run and the MMM system is just as powerful as the Tekin system . With the money you save you could get some hop ups or extra batteries .
    At WARN 80% and climbing !

RC Champion
    Get the ERBE. if you decide you don't like the MMM you can sell it off and then upgrade.

Moon
    RCDIRECTONLINE to Support our Troops!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Novarider
    Ok I'm buying an erbe this week but I have a delema. Should I buy a roller then add a tekin rx8 or should I buy a new erbe and sell the mmm and buy a tekin or should I buy a new erbe and just run the mmm? I have the money waiting to bespent I just can't decide what way to go

I bought the ERBE, and pulled my MMM out after a month and sold it for $230.00 then turned around a bought my Rx-8....I'd say pull it and sell it !

RC Champion
    Buying an erbe is not cheaper than putting it together with a roller. The erbe is 650-700. A roller is 200-250 plus a tekin is 260ish with coupon that's 500ish. But I have a dx2.0 so if I get the erbe I can sell the stock radio for roughly 100. So you can see my delema
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Champion
    You didnt say you already had a decent radio , add in the cost of a DECENT 2.4Ghz radio and the price does climb higher than a roller + system
    At WARN 80% and climbing !

RC Champion
    Yep, assuming you don't have anything, and ERBE is almost always cheaper unless you find some killer deals on the roller and other components.

RC Qualifier
    Why would you sell the mmm esc and get a tekin?

RC Qualifier

Buy the erbe, pull the motor and esc ($200-$230.00) and sell it as new on ebay, then sell the 2.4ghz radio ($90-$100.00) on ebay if you have a nice 2.4ghz already, then don't hesitate and go buy the Tekin RX8 with the 2250kv motor and you will be the happiest camper around, because these Tekin's are sweet, I have not had one problem whatsoever(knock on wood), some of the best money i ever spent and I had to buy 2-Tekin Systems.
    OH WELL, YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A TEKIN RX8...

RC Qualifier

Buy the erbe, pull the motor and esc ($200-$230.00) and sell it as new on ebay, then sell the 2.4ghz radio ($90-$100.00) on ebay if you have a nice 2.4ghz already, then don't hesitate and go buy the Tekin RX8 with the 2250kv motor and you will be the happiest camper around, because these Tekin's are sweet, I have not had one problem whatsoever(knock on wood), some of the best money i ever spent and I had to buy 2-Tekin RX8 Systems.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGmaxx
    Why would you sell the mmm esc and get a tekin?

It's like adding a Hemi....

RC Qualifier
    Here is your best option! brand new e-revo + traxxas mmm combo with mount for 540$ with am radio.
    search tower for the regular e-revo. about half way down they have a combo for 600$ for a brand new regular e-revo and the new traxxas MMM kit. Use a 60$ coupon from tower along with free shipping.
    540$ out the door for a brand new e-revo brushless
    Revo 3.3,slayer,ERBE,
    Slash 4x4 RTR and Platinum

RC Champion
    Add 20 for 17mm hexes and 20 for the tower membership but after that I think that may just be the way I go that way if I want to water bash I can swap back to the brushed setup. Thanks for the suggestion
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Qualifier
    You won't want anything to do with that brushed set-up after you install a Tekin RX8 w/2250kv motor, because you will be so addicted to that system and having no problems you won't want to change. IMO, I am sooo glad I bought the Tekin RX8, because I am having a blast and no a sniff of any problems, once in a while, I come in and hook it to my laptop and make a minor change with the Hotwire and back on the road again.

RC Enthusiast
    Hi RustyA

Do you have a link to that combo on Tower? I can't find it.

RC Qualifier

RC Champion
    I'm thinking I should buy a roller and get the tekin. I mostly bash at medium speed but sometimes I like to climb over logs and stuff like that so the tekin would be better
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Deahttub
    It's like adding a Hemi....
    But a hemi is definitely not better than a Ferrari. Castle products are used by the fastest rc cars in the world.

RC Champion
    I definatly stick with a MMM. It's cheaper than the Tekin too. I mean a 6 dollar newegg cable and your MMM can be tuned on a PC. Tekin require a 30 hotwire I think. But honestly. The MMM should be more than enough power. But up to you. I have no experience with the Tekin RX8.

Moon
    RCDIRECTONLINE to Support our Troops!

RC Champion
    But a hemi is definitely not better than a Ferrari. Castle products are used by the fastest rc cars in the world.
    Indeed they are.. But don't try telling that to the young ones,.... because it's not the "in thing" to do.....
    Last edited by SlotterHouse; 10-27-2009 at 01:46 PM.
    (√) Zer0 tall-er-ance 4 stu-pid-it-deeeeee.

RC Qualifier

I'd say the fair comparison is a Hemi (RX-8) vs. a small block V-8...

RC Qualifier
    A small block v8 with a long warranty.

RC Champion
    I'd say the fair comparison is a Hemi (RX-8) vs. a small block V-8...
    I'll take the blown small block V-8.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PRNYNorBv4

RC Champion
    I'm not considering the tekin because it's the "in thing" it's because the tekins don't melt as much as the mmm at least that's what I have read. Plus I do like to do a little climbing and I know the tekin is better for that since it's sensored
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Champion
    The sensored portion is a nice feature..

But as far as the MMM's burning up more than the Tekins, you have to take in consideration how many more MMM's are out there compared to the RX8.

As well as the simple fact that many of those people who have burnt up their MMM's, were more than likely running with very questionable set-ups..

Oh, and don't think that the RX8's have not had their share of problems..
    Last edited by SlotterHouse; 10-27-2009 at 01:51 PM.

RC Champion
    That's true I'll give you the fact that there are more mmm out there. The sensored part is what I'm really liking with the tekin because like I said I like to climb some and I may start to do more climbing. The tekin on tower will be 270 with a coupon the mmm is 250 on eBay. $20 isn't much of a difference
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by V0RT3X
    A small block v8 with a long warranty.

And a long repair time.............

RC Champion
    Either way, you will want to go with the tekin. I have 2 tekins and 2 MMM's. I have Had 1 issue with the tekin (rotor detachment) I called tekin, and 3 days later there was a new rotor waiting on my porch.

I am on my 4th MMM. 3 of them have burned up NOT due to crappy batteries, overgearing or any of that bull.

Each time, I had to send in the MMM, and wait 4-5 weeks for a replacement.

Not to mention, the tekin is sensored, runs cooler, is more efficient, and is ever so slightly faster.
    HB Ve8 w/ tekin (AWESOME)
    E-Slayer w/MMM
    SC10

RC Champion
    And a long repair time.............
    Not when you can repair it yourself..

RC Qualifier
    Look, there is no guarantee that you are going to get the Mamba Monster System sold in a timely manner or if someone is going to buy it at all (unless you already have a confirmed buyer – and yes buyers will want it at a steal or no another word is deal). But, you are guaranteed a ready to run out the box E Revo Brushless Edition… Immediate fun at 2.4 GHz busting out at 62MPH plus of the optional gearing included on 3s Lipos.
    I would say, get the ERBE. Run it and if you don’t like then make the move and be prepared to wait a while if you are gonna sell it on E-Bay without any steal… deals offered.
    Ray00
    E–Revo │ E-Revo BE
    ITCHY THROTTLE FINGER!

RC Champion
    I'm running an MMM but several of the guys I run with have switched to Tekin with more on the way. All of them like the Tekin better than MMM.

RC Qualifier
    Winnipeg, Manitoba the Slurpee Capital of the World
    at the start of this year the failure rate of all mmm's v1,2,3 is only 1.8%.

fyi the failure rate of all xbox 360s is 60%!!!

info got from rc-monster forums
    if you dont break something go higher and faster

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by revo guy

Most of the mmm failures i read about were happening a few monhs ago not last year and what does the xbox have to do with the mmm?
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by revo guy

FIY you're wrong... I dont' care what Castle PR says.

I know lots of people with 360's, one experienced the RROD. I know lots of people with MMM's, only 2 have had trouble free operation, and one of the two never uses his.

RC Champion
    Ok easy guys I don't want this thread shut down for flaming let's try to keep it to opinions and why you think that is a better option.
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Champion
    Castle may hold more speed records, but unless you're building a top speed vehicle, that statement means nothing.

I've been dealing with a lot of Castle products lately, and a lot of Tekin products lately. When the MMM in my wife's ERBE dies [don't feel like going through the hassle of selling it on Ebay without giving it away], it'll get a Tekin, and I highly doubt I'll even bother to send it back to Castle for repair.

The Castle MM compared with the Tekin RS, the Tekin is so much smoother and cooler running for the same speed, and the story doesn't change when comparing the MMM with the RX8.

I've run electric off and on for over 15 years now, had Novak, LRP, Tekin, Castle, and Dynamite ESC's with a variety of brushed and brushless configurations, and when it comes time to upgrade or replace a piece of gear, Tekin is where I turn.

Nova, if I were in your position, I would get an E-Revo with a Tekin system as cheap as I could swing it. The MMM is a decent system, but the RX8 is a step up, IMO.
    -Harry | Racing and Painting
    1stGenPaint