Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tekin vs Castle

RC Competitor

Tekin vs Castle

New to the E-Revo forums, made the jump from 3.3. So the big question, witch is better overall Tekin rx8 or Castle mmm, esc & motor? Thanks..
    Last edited by Rampage590; 11-01-2009 at 01:06 AM.

RC Champion
    If you are a racer go for the Tekin ESC. Lot's of peeps like the Mamba motors. I prefer the Tekno neus and Hacker motors instead.
    2 KILOWATT RACER

RC Competitor
    Yes, I do race thats about it. So why is it better for racing?

RC Champion
    It has a sensor port, current limiter, most of the settings can be changed right on the ESC and to me it's smoother then the castle esc in sensorless mode.
    2 KILOWATT RACER

RC Qualifier
    The nice thing about the Tekin RX8 is it's compatible with either Brushed or Brushless motors and Sensored or Sensor less motors. That way you can change motors if need be and if you get the hotwire, you just go on the computer and program it to whichever motor you are running, you don't have to run a sensored brushless motor, that is the beauty of this system, it it very compatible with just about any motor made.
    OH WELL, YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A TEKIN RX8...

RC Racer
    The Tekin is also slightly faster, and people have commented that it has more torque than the MMM combo. But, its more expensive.
    It's ReV:-O, back from the grave...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jjl5590
    The Tekin is also slightly faster, and people have commented that it has more torque than the MMM combo. But, its more expensive.
    Fastest rc car on the planet has a castle esc. The fastest revo 91.2 mph has a castle mmm esc. The fastest e-maxx 76mph (mine) has a castle mmm esc. So how do you figure? My other truck on 6s has so much torque it does standing still backflips @ 50% punch control and lands back on its tires.It does 35 mph wheelies on demand. How can you have/or use more torque than this.

RC Champion
    The tekin is sensored which is a plus if you do Amy low speed runs or rock climbing. That's why I went with the tekin. Castle also takes about 6 weeks to get your mmm fixed if it does fry on you.
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Racer
    Those statistics are meaningless. I doubt they tried it again with the Tekin. I've compared both and so have other people - ask around. The Tekin is a faster more reliable option (now that they've sorted out the motor issue)
    It's ReV:-O, back from the grave...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGmaxx
    Fastest rc car on the planet has a castle esc. The fastest revo 91.2 mph has a castle mmm esc. The fastest e-maxx 76mph (mine) has a castle mmm esc. So how do you figure? My other truck on 6s has so much torque it does standing still backflips @ 50% punch control and lands back on its tires.It does 35 mph wheelies on demand. How can you have/or use more torque than this.

My Tekin RX8 is faster then a like gaered MMM....Have you run a Tekin RX8? I, as well as many who have the RX8 have run both, and have come to the same conclusion that the RX8 is faster....

RC Qualifier
    Just how fast is it ? I hit 76 mph with a mmm esc in my g-maxx. Would of done 80+ if it wasnt for a slipper failure. OverrevO did a 91.7 mph run with a mmm esc. Until you beat those figures the castle mmm esc is faster. It does sound like a good slow rock crawler esc though. Castles turn around time is a week at most.

RC Racer
    Question:
    mmmm.... Why are all e-revo speed records done with a MMM not a RX-8?
    Tomasito

RC Champion
    because nobody dropped the money down for an RX8 ESC.
    2 KILOWATT RACER

RC Champion
    If castles turn around tine is a week at most then why is it that EVEREYONE that blows one has to wait 6weeks to get it back?
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Champion
    Got to comment here... first off doesn't sound like any of you tested any given setup with ONLY changing the ESC and keeping everything else the same. For that matter when you changed them did you 'match' the timings as much as possible so they were 'even' or did you have the MMM turned down? I've used both and while I think the kv ratings on some of the tekin motors have less tolerance (as in they are not quite what they are rated) I do not feel there is any more torque or any advantage other than if you were rock crawling. If I had to pick a system to run 4s lipo in a 1/8 size truck/buggy or the ERBE.. guess what I'd still pick the MMM. I think the Castle/Neu 1y is more effecient and more durable w/o any question at all. I think either ESC will do the job and both at this point seem to be just as reliable, the tekin is a touch smaller and I've had more fan issues w/ the Castle but spent a lot more time beating the castle (1/8 racing). To recap both are great systems, the castle 1y is the most bullet proof motor i've EVER used... other than the fans dumping the ESC's are pretty flawless now unless the 'user' does something The tekin motors are way more fragile, but you have a HUGE range of choices that you just dont have w/ the castle so depending on your setup and needs maybe the right choice and the ESC has very low failure rates from what I have read and seen first hand. Both ESC's are very tunable, and that is where most people see some of the differenes that lead them to think one is faster than the other by some 'noticable' amount..
    Last edited by 8ight-e; 11-02-2009 at 08:54 AM.
    I love you MAN! Need a hug?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by snellemin
    because nobody dropped the money down for an RX8 ESC.
    I did the combo is back in a box for now I may use it in an E-jato that I am building over the winter and it is not faster. It is smoother from a stop I will give it that but in my ERBE Here is how it unfolded. Day 1 ran good but slower then my MMM combo smoother but slower not as punchy I did not have a gps on it but have a real good sense as the MMM Was uncontrollable fast. 2nd time out Tekin ESC Smoked oh well all that soldering down the drain. It think it will be perfect for my E-Jato convert as I need a smoother motor to perserve the weak driveshafts and tranny in the Jato but in the ERBE is was an expensive dissapointment. BTW I did have a Castle ESC go too but that was a v2 and since then it has been 6 mos perfect.
    Last edited by RcPocketRocket; 11-02-2009 at 09:09 AM.
    havnt failed I just found 1000 ways that wont work

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jjl5590
    The Tekin is a faster more reliable option (now that they've sorted out the motor issue)
    I bought a Tekin system 6 weeks ago. The motor didn't survive the first day. I don't think they have the motor issue worked out yet.

I was able to put about three packs through the Tekin before it gave out. It wasn't an instant improvement over the MMM as many claim. In fact, there were several areas where I liked the MMM better (braking). But I didn't get enough time to tweak all the settings, so I can't say which is better. But they were close to each other, that's for sure. Except that the Tekin didn't last one day, and my CC has survived tons of abuse.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tomasito
    Question:
    mmmm.... Why are all e-revo speed records done with a MMM not a RX-8?
    Because everyone knows the castle mmm is has the best bang for the buck. Until sombody with a tekin powered revo beats the 91.2. The castle is still on top. I have read somewhere that tekin has gear ratio limitations and they specify what gears are ok to run to prevent a smoking esc. So be careful seems like they wont handle high gearing as recomended by the manufacture.

Quote Originally Posted by Novarider
    If castles turn around tine is a week at most then why is it that EVEREYONE that blows one has to wait 6weeks to get it back?
    I talked to Joe ford last week he says there is hardly any repairs coming in at all.
    Last edited by SuperGmaxx; 11-02-2009 at 10:28 AM.

RC Champion
    I have 2 MMM combos in 2 different E REVO's and my son and I run them a lot and VERY hard at that , both have been running flawlessly on 4s with 22/62 and 20/56 gearing . Temps have been low and the power is awesome .

And at low speed its VERY smooth IMO , we do not get any cogging . Tekin makes a great product no doubt but I see no need to spend the extra cash .
    At WARN 80% and climbing !

RC Racer
    I would go with Tekin any day before Castle.
    Castle's customer service and customer relations were the worst I have ever dealt with in my life. But this is just my experience.
    CasGar Bashers UnInc.
    Est. '02
    a.k.a garcol

RC Champion
    They both are great Combo's, but I would go with the Tekin, more adj than the MMM, and way smoother.
    The biggest thing i've broken: My wallet.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CasGar bashers
    I would go with Tekin any day before Castle.
    Castle's customer service and customer relations were the worst I have ever dealt with in my life. But this is just my experience.
    Your the first person I have heard say that.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxman101
    They both are great Combo's, but I would go with the Tekin, more adj than the MMM, and way smoother.
    Are you sure about that? have you use the castle link and seen the latest version? I think its 3.19. Castle software is constantly being upgraded.
    Last edited by SuperGmaxx; 11-03-2009 at 07:20 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I have not run the Tekin RX8 but I have tried to pummel the MMM into submission - still trying lol. But I have seen videos of the RX8 and from a stop or stand still it’s AWESOMELY smooth... not sputtering! I like it for that.

But Rock Crawlers are fanatical about the RX8 while Racers bag the MMM. And I really don’t care what anyone says, but if you are a Racer or Crawler, whichever product is the best for your sport, you will get it - no matter the cost! Be true to you, if you think it’s worth it and better than your current product, will you not bag it even if it takes you forever? You would sell your MMM and save toward owning the Tekin RX8 if you have to!

Also, are there more Racers/Bashers than Crawlers or vice versa? If so, that MAY explain why there are just a relatively few Tekin RX8 users out there – I could be wrong.
    Ray00
    E–Revo │ E-Revo BE
    ITCHY THROTTLE FINGER!

RC Qualifier
    Your the first person I have heard say that.

Are you sure about that? have you use the castle link and seen the latest version? I think its 3.19. Castle software is constantly being upgraded.
    yep there CS is absolutley awsome. Only problem they had was due to how popular the MMM was the wait times were bad a while back. But the customer service was honest with me going to take a while but they sent me a brand new ESC in box with a castle link for the 3 week delay. And this was 6 mos ago it is better now from what I hear the wait times.

I own multiple of each system and can say they are both awesome and honestly don't think you can go wrong either way. Customer service is great for both if it's ever needed. It did take a month to receive a V3 MMM for a V1 I wanted upgraded but the communication was great. I received a phone call and not an e-mail letting me know what the time estimate would be. I appreciated that immensely not to mention they took the V1 no questions asked.

RC Competitor
    So, for the most part there both great products. Makes it hard to make a choice. Which one is chevy, and which is ford? Chevy man myself.
    Last edited by Rampage590; 11-03-2009 at 11:07 AM.

RC Champion
    Customer service by both companies are great. Sometimes there might be a miscommunication or hiccup beyound their control, but both companies treat their customers right.
    2 KILOWATT RACER

RC Champion
    If a 4s system is right for you then go w/ the Castle, like I said the castle Neu is more effecient and WAY more durable iMO. If you want to spend a few bucks maybe get the RX8 esc w/ the 1y motor. If you want to have a system other than 4s look at some of the tekin motors and buy one of their combo's, just be warned those motors are more fragile (from what I have seen and read). I know two people who had issues (both truggy motors) and another guy who is still running his first to my knowledge in his 8ight-e (buggy version). Again this is only a limited sample though, may want to call Mike or other hobby shops who sell a lot of them and see if you can get some 'dirt' on the subject.
    I love you MAN! Need a hug?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ight-e
    If a 4s system is right for you then go w/ the Castle, like I said the castle Neu is more effecient and WAY more durable iMO. If you want to spend a few bucks maybe get the RX8 esc w/ the 1y motor. If you want to have a system other than 4s look at some of the tekin motors and buy one of their combo's, just be warned those motors are more fragile (from what I have seen and read). I know two people who had issues (both truggy motors) and another guy who is still running his first to my knowledge in his 8ight-e (buggy version). Again this is only a limited sample though, may want to call Mike or other hobby shops who sell a lot of them and see if you can get some 'dirt' on the subject.
    Why do you say 4s. I have ran my MMM on 6s for about 6 mos now and ran it hard. No issues even with the turigy junk batteries solder giving out under hard acceleration. Well no ESC or motor issues, There is the issue of no steering or brakes going somewhere between 50-80 MPH on the street. That issue gets expensive

RC Qualifier

I talked to Joe ford last week he says there is hardly any repairs coming in at all.
    I hope you are right...My buddy fried his MMM today running on a golfcourse....He's had this MMM since June so Castle should fix it for free....it's just a question how long it will take....

And I took this picture to prove it was from today (look at the date...
    Last edited by Deahttub; 11-03-2009 at 10:32 PM.

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=Deahttub]I hope you are right...My buddy fried his MMM today running on a golfcourse....He's had this MMM since June so Castle should fix it for free....it's just a question how long it will take....

Thats a V1 or a V2 the battery connectors are soldered on V3s of the MMM. It is way older than june.

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=RcPocketRocket]
    Quote Originally Posted by Deahttub
    I hope you are right...My buddy fried his MMM today running on a golfcourse....He's had this MMM since June so Castle should fix it for free....it's just a question how long it will take....

Thats a V1 or a V2 the battery connectors are soldered on V3s of the MMM. It is way older than june.

He bought it in June and has a receipt....Why would I lie? Should I scan it for you?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RcPocketRocket
    Who is to say it isn't old stock? You could go and buy a brand new ESC today and end up with a V1. Also, the first batch of V3's had bullets for the battery connectors.
    Last edited by Rusteh101; 11-04-2009 at 07:25 AM.

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=Deahttub]

He bought it in June and has a receipt....Why would I lie? Should I scan it for you?
    Yo I am not saying your lying. Just saying it is a v1 or v2 thats all glad you have the receipt.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusteh101
    Who is to say it isn't old stock? You could go and buy a brand new ESC today and end up with a V1. Also, the first batch of V3's had bullets for the battery connectors.
    I knew someone was going to say this. The shipped ESCs or fixed ones have solder. The bullets go bye bye. In April when I got one of my first MMMs back it was soldered and the bullets were gone. That one just had a small problem. Actually you just made me think of something. Let me get some coffee.

RC Qualifier
    I have a V3 mmm that have bullet all around. They had 2 batch of V3 I'm 100% sure
    3906 CC 1717 / MMM GA 7075 UE Khead LST2 DIFF

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by EMaxx_Quebec
    I have a V3 mmm that have bullet all around. They had 2 batch of V3 I'm 100% sure
    I am not saying that they did not have bullets on the V3. They did some esc's got shipped back after they realised that the bullets were an issue. After they did not ship replacements with bullets soldered on the power leads of the ESC. Mabye they were removed or mabye they just shipped a new ESC.

RC Qualifier
    I am not saying that they did not have bullets on the V3. They did some esc's got shipped back after they realised that the bullets were an issue. After they did not ship replacements with bullets soldered on the power leads of the ESC. Mabye they were removed or mabye they just shipped a new ESC.

Well there are now 2 pictures of V3's with bullets...

RC Qualifier
    I sent my fried Mamba Monster to Castle via airmail about 1 month ago (october 7th 2009) and I still didn't receive ANY communication from them yet.

I asked them and I received this message back:
    "Thank you for contacting Castle Creations Inc. Support Department. This email serves as a confirmation that we have received your email. We will respond as quickly as possible to your request, however, at this time due to increased demand our turn around may take up to 3-4 business days. Our office is also experiencing absences due to illness,and this is greatly impacting our response time for the week of Oct 19-23rd." (note that it's november)

This is what I read on their page http://www.castlecreations.com/support/repairs.html now:

I already bought a Tekin RX8. I will sell my MMM as soon as I'll receive it back.
    Bad experience with Castle.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by m.stealth

I already bought a Tekin RX8. I will sell my MMM as soon as I'll receive it back.
    Bad experience with Castle.
    Sorry to hear that....I will say that you will enjoy your Tekin....they are very solid!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast