Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tekin vs Castle

RC Qualifier
    Anyone with recent vids of their Tekin RX8 in action?

I am saving towards a Tekin RX8 and I hope to put it to the test. The MM Combo has been massively good to me and I really want to test this RX8 for myself.
    Ray00
    E–Revo │ E-Revo BE
    ITCHY THROTTLE FINGER!

RC Champion
    I have vids on youtube of two of my cars running RX8 esc's.

Here's one of them

Novak vs Tekin
    2 KILOWATT RACER

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Deahttub
    Well there are now 2 pictures of V3's with bullets...
    Where was that? You friend might have gotten NOS New old stock it could be a v2. Also could be a v3. The first batch of V3s also had many issues and it related back to the Plugs thats why they removed them. I got my V3 replacement back around April from castle with no plugs and have not have a single issue with it. Cant say the same for the RX-8 experience.
    havnt failed I just found 1000 ways that wont work

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RcPocketRocket
    Where was that? You friend might have gotten NOS New old stock it could be a v2. Also could be a v3. The first batch of V3s also had many issues and it related back to the Plugs thats why they removed them. I got my V3 replacement back around April from castle with no plugs and have not have a single issue with it. Cant say the same for the RX-8 experience.
    Ok you are right I'm so sorry for doubting you....It amazes me that you know everything..when you had no clue that V3 MMM's had bullet connectors....no matter what version it is...it's toast...Oh and yes...it's V3....

RC Racer
    I gotta V3 (one of the first MMM combo's) its got bullets all round
    It's ReV:-O, back from the grave...

RC Qualifier
    Originally Posted by EMaxx_Quebec
    I have a V3 mmm that have bullet all around. They had 2 batch of V3 I'm 100% sure
    That V3 work flawlessly ( sory I'm frech speaking) since I got it.
    I run it every weekend with a Medusa 2000 on 4s in a 12.4 lb truck!
    Only prob I had is a broken fan that I replace with an aftermarket one.
    3906 CC 1717 / MMM GA 7075 UE Khead LST2 DIFF

RC Qualifier
    Ok you are right I'm so sorry for doubting you....It amazes me that you know everything..when you had no clue that V3 MMM's had bullet connectors....no matter what version it is...it's toast...Oh and yes...it's V3....
    Thanks the the compliment but I do not know everything sorry.
    As for Clues I had more then a clue I had a V3 with the Bullets. It Came with one of my ERBEs and it went bad. That one I spoke with Joe Ford about at least 6 mos ago he had told me they were doing away with the bullets due to issues with them. So before you tell me I have no clue realize I have been in this Brusless Game since it started in RC. And brushless motors way before that.
    What I dont understand is that Gmaxx was saying the repairs are to a minimum. You show a burnt up esc with the World series Loosers to be on a paper in the background. All I was trying to say is that is not what is shipping back to people for a long time now. It is not accurate to say they are still burning up when you show an older version. So its a V3 thats just a number they are also now and for a while. 2 different V3 versions going around. And that is not the new one. Maybe your friend bought it old or whatever but so what you are taking my whole point out of context.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks the the compliment but I do not know everything sorry.
    As for Clues I had more then a clue I had a V3 with the Bullets. It Came with one of my ERBEs and it went bad. That one I spoke with Joe Ford about at least 6 mos ago he had told me they were doing away with the bullets due to issues with them. So before you tell me I have no clue realize I have been in this Brusless Game since it started in RC. And brushless motors way before that.
    What I dont understand is that Gmaxx was saying the repairs are to a minimum. You show a burnt up esc with the World series Loosers to be on a paper in the background. All I was trying to say is that is not what is shipping back to people for a long time now. It is not accurate to say they are still burning up when you show an older version. So its a V3 thats just a number they are also now and for a while. 2 different V3 versions going around. And that is not the new one. Maybe your friend bought it old or whatever but so what you are taking my whole point out of context.
    You see the problem is this....you keep saying that it isn't a V3 ESC when it is...But I will stop arguing with you as you are the Dali Lama of RC....

RC Qualifier
    You see the problem is this....you keep saying that it isn't a V3 ESC when it is...But I will stop arguing with you as you are the Dali Lama of RC....
    Wow thanks you for the wonderful comment. So from now on I should say the trucks have Powah

The Tekin RX8 with a Tekin motor should have more tuning option. You have timing on the motor plus sensorless timing on the ESC. Fan are easy to replace and for normal 4s running, probably not even needed. Sensored technology is great b/c 99% of the time there is ZERO cogging. Not saying cogging is noticable on sensorless but if you ever spin out of control, the ESC might have a problem sensing where the rotor is. As far as motors go, the Tekin can run any motor sensored or sensorless no problem. What wrong with running a Castle NEU on a Tekin RX8? Nothing b/c you have that option. As far as faster you just can't go by what people tell you or what you. Both are great systems but I fine the quality of the Tekin RX8 to be higher(also the price ).
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 11-06-2009 at 10:20 AM.
    Simply the best. The beautiful Traxxas SRT and TCP

RC Champion
    after running the rx8 in mt hot bodies ve8 for a month now, I have decided, that I will never again buy the MMM. (hey, I made a rhyme!) The quality and driveability of the system is far superior to the castle. Mainly the brakes. It doesnt endo the truck or lock the wheels if I don't REALLY want it to like the castle did. You have the option of running the neu castle motors, or just the tekin's. It is awesome. I love the neu castle motor for a sensorless motor, but the T8 paired with the RX8 ESC walks all over the castle combos
    HB Ve8 w/ tekin (AWESOME)
    E-Slayer w/MMM
    SC10

RC Racer
    is it faster?

RC Qualifier
    This debate could go on until the cows come home. It's beginning to look like a battery debate. I owned both and I am kind of bias to the Tekin and I have to go to the Tekin RX8, because unlike most of you, I owned 2 MMM's and now own 2 Tekin RX8's w/2250 kv motors and the Tekins have performed flawlessly and it was some of the best money I ever spent. So you see I have double the chance of the system going bad and like I said before, no problems whatsoever, I am not saying that I won't ever have a problem, but I believe if you treat your system & batteries right, they will treat you right, like not gearing for supersonic speeds, cleaning and checking the system when finished running everytime (looking for any loose connections of any kind), don't run the temps up to the edge of it's limits, just basically taking care of your truck and batteries.
    OH WELL, YOU SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT A TEKIN RX8...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Brushless Moose
    after running the rx8 in mt hot bodies ve8 for a month now, I have decided, that I will never again buy the MMM. (hey, I made a rhyme!) The quality and driveability of the system is far superior to the castle. Mainly the brakes. It doesnt endo the truck or lock the wheels if I don't REALLY want it to like the castle did. You have the option of running the neu castle motors, or just the tekin's. It is awesome. I love the neu castle motor for a sensorless motor, but the T8 paired with the RX8 ESC walks all over the castle combos
    I raced with a MMM setup in my erevo and my 8ight-e for 1+ years now (snice it came out really) and never "endo" using motor brakes, sounds like you may of needed to do some tuning. I actually started out mechanical brakes w/ my 8ight conversion (tekno) and when I swapped to the long shank pinion decided to give motor brakes a try and just never went back.. I seem to do quite well Took first place in a Pro-Series even w/ my e-revo, and did pretty well w/ the buggy as well (mixed round though, actually stood next to one of losi's top drivers) so the competition was a little harder as all pro's were mixed in.
    I love you MAN! Need a hug?

RC Qualifier
    My brakes dont lock up when hitting them @ 70+ mph with less grippy foam tires. As far as being able to run sensored motors they work great with rock crawlers I see no benefit in high speed or racing applications. Heres some qoutes from castles website:
    " OK, now I’m confused. Is Sensored better than Sensorless?
    The answer is that for most users, Sensorless operation is still better.

•Castle’s Sensorless controllers offer best in class start up and braking which are fine for most users. Sensored only motor operation cannot deliver maximum efficiency.

•Sensors are terribly inaccurate for motor timing purposes as the motor’s magnetic fields change under load or at speed; that’s where Sensorless operation shines.

•Sensorless is also just more dependable. There are fewer wires and connections that need to survive the incredibly rough treatment most RC cars and trucks endure."

We all know Castle neu motors are second to none, well maybe except a real neu. Why would you want to run a sensored motor unless you crawling. Castle esc's and neu motors are in the fastest rc cars on the planet there is no argument there at all. The fact is I keep abusing my mmm esc with extremly high gearing and multiple high speed passes with no cool down and it keeps on going. Do that with a tekin and let us know how it works out. What other features does a tekin have that a castle doesnt? besides sensored timing and being able to use sensored motors.
    Last edited by SuperGmaxx; 11-07-2009 at 08:41 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperGmaxx
    The fact is I keep abusing my esc with extremly high gearing and multiple passes with no cool down and it keeps on going. Do that with a tekin and let us know how it works out.

Nice point! I for one will be looking out for that. I knew I was not the only one that abuse the living day out of the MM Combo and it still keeps on monstering!
    Ray00
    E–Revo │ E-Revo BE
    ITCHY THROTTLE FINGER!

My brakes dont lock up when hitting them @ 70+ mph you just have to know how too adjust them in the castle. As far as being able to run sensored motors they work great with rock crawlers I see no benefit in high speed or racing applications,We all know Castle neu motors are second to none, well maybe except a real neu. Castle esc's and neu motors are in the fastest rc cars on the planet there is no argument there at all. The fact is I keep abusing my esc with extremly high gearing and multiple passes with no cool down and it keeps on going. Do that with a tekin and let us know how it works out. What other feature does a tekin have that a castle doesnt besides sensored timing and being able to use sensored motors.
    So if sensorless only was perfect for racing, why did Castle come out with a MMpro? Sensored can provide more accurate braking and eliminates any chance for there to be cogging(like after a huge spinout) and can provide a smoother startup to mid throttle. The Tekin switches to sensorless b/c it's more efficient and provides more torque only sensored. My Tekin RS pro is the best ESC I have ever owned(had Novak, Castle and the VXL). The RX8 is just a beefed up version of the RS pro that can handle more amps and power and is design for 1/8 application. The Tekin and MMM are great systems...just the Tekin gives more in feature and is more focus on the racer. The real test is this. Get 2 ERBE and setup up both trucks exactly alike. But have one running a MMM the other running a Tekin RX8 but both trucks keep the Neu-Castle motor. Again set both ESC exactly alike and give us the results.

RC Racer
    Guys with Tekin, why not try to do speed runs with the Tekin at 90mph, post here (with proof ) if it's able to achieve this
    Tomasito

RC Champion
    I would do it but I don't like speed runs I bash and mostly just jump. With a little climbing thrown in

The best test wouldn't be 2 erbe side by side the best would be to run the mmm then switch just the esc and keep the motor, spur, and same pinion. That way it eliminated any variable like bad bearings or binding, tires etc..
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tomasito
    Guys with Tekin, why not try to do speed runs with the Tekin at 90mph, post here (with proof ) if it's able to achieve this
    If you ship me the laser gun and the 2700kv real Neu that Over_Revo used for the 91.2mph I will try it

RC Qualifier
    Is Sensored better than Sensorless?

That's the beauty of the Tekin RX-8....It's sensored at low speeds....and sensorless at high speeds....So with the RX-8 you get the best of both worlds...

RC Champion
    This is getting a bit out of hand, sensorless and sensored motors don't keep you from spinning out.. LOL I've driven both for a long time. PS it doesn't hep with braking either! LOL the sensor only keeps you from cogging at the LOWEST speeds (hense why it's nice for crawlers). Once you get moving you'll never know the difference, even going into and out of a turn, you can't tell the difference unless you have a really cheapo ESC.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 8ight-e
    This is getting a bit out of hand, sensorless and sensored motors don't keep you from spinning out.. LOL I've driven both for a long time. PS it doesn't hep with braking either! LOL the sensor only keeps you from cogging at the LOWEST speeds (hense why it's nice for crawlers). Once you get moving you'll never know the difference, even going into and out of a turn, you can't tell the difference unless you have a really cheapo ESC.
    Can I ask you why you race with the MMM instead of the Tekin combo?

No one said Sensored motors keeps you from spinning out. If a vehicle spins out of control, what happens? There is a chance for the wheels to spin in the reverse direction. If that happens then the motor's rotor(connected to the drivetrain) under braking or no-power has a chance to spin in the opposite direction. A problem with sensorless(It's happen with my MM) is after a spinout...then trying to go forward...it cogs. Sensored helps in that situation. Like you said...Sensored helps with cogging. But sensored operation does provide a smoother launch. Sensorless is overall more powerful and efficient. That's why the Tekin uses Sensored start-up then switches to sensorless.
    Last edited by Emaxx2.0; 11-08-2009 at 08:06 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by m.stealth
    Can I ask you why you race with the MMM instead of the Tekin combo?
    It was not so much the ESC that made my mind as the motor, castle 1y is bulletproof.. zero issues, never have to worry about a failure and super efficient and cheaper to boot. I don't cog on the race track ever so sensored will not help me in any way. The tekin motors maybe getting better but as history shows they are fragile and more issue prone, don't like DNF's much here. I'm sure quality control and production is improving, so maybe someday I will revisit the choices. I don't expect to have to replace more than bearings on this 1y until I unload my 8t or 8b. The current MMM v3's are pretty bullet proof as well, zero issues this entire year racing almost weekly in three different trucks all w/ v3's. Well that’s not totally true, I did toast several fans.. but I've pretty much just dremeled off the tops so it gets nice air flow and going w/o any fans. From use, I wouldn't rate either ESC better than the other as they are both great iMO and allow for more turning than anyone would ever need. I still read a few posts on both sides about issues, but they seem to be less common these days... many times maybe user issues as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0
    No one said Sensored motors keeps you from spinning out. If a vehicle spins out of control, what happens? There is a chance for the wheels to spin in the reverse direction. If that happens then the motor's rotor(connected to the drivetrain) under braking or no-power has a chance to spin in the opposite direction. A problem with sensorless(It's happen with my MM) is after a spinout...then trying to go forward...it cogs. Sensored helps in that situation. Like you said...Sensored helps with cogging. But sensored operation does provide a smoother launch. Sensorless is overall more powerful and efficient. That's why the Tekin uses Sensored start-up then switches to sensorless.
    hmm and in my trucks when I spin and the wheels are going opp direction it seems to stay as diff action until you apply motion forward or back on the drive train.. guess we have different setups. If the truck is not in a flat super spin then being off throttle will allow the wheels to roll and gain traction quickly just as in a 1:1 vehicle.. so again unless you are cogging which my MMM never does, I don't get how it would help. I'm glad it works for you though, that is all that really matters.
    Last edited by 8ight-e; 11-08-2009 at 10:32 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Emaxx2.0

+1...the take off being sesored is beyond smooth....you would have to try one and see for yourself...

RC Qualifier
    My brakes dont lock up when hitting them @ 70+ mph with less grippy foam tires. As far as being able to run sensored motors they work great with rock crawlers I see no benefit in high speed or racing applications. Heres some qoutes from castles website:
    " OK, now I’m confused. Is Sensored better than Sensorless?

•Castle’s Sensorless controllers offer best in class start up and braking which are fine for most users. Sensored only motor operation cannot deliver maximum efficiency.

•Sensors are terribly inaccurate for motor timing purposes as the motor’s magnetic fields change under load or at speed; that’s where Sensorless operation shines.

•Sensorless is also just more dependable. There are fewer wires and connections that need to survive the incredibly rough treatment most RC cars and trucks endure."

We all know Castle neu motors are second to none, well maybe except a real neu. Why would you want to run a sensored motor unless you crawling. Castle esc's and neu motors are in the fastest rc cars on the planet there is no argument there at all. The fact is I keep abusing my mmm esc with extremly high gearing and multiple high speed passes with no cool down and it keeps on going. Do that with a tekin and let us know how it works out. What other features does a tekin have that a castle doesnt? besides sensored timing and being able to use sensored motors.
    I am curious about the crawling argument. If your truck is set up for rock crawling then what is it geared for "Speed wise" Beacuse if it is geared for say 15 MPH then why would sensored make a difference? I am not into crawling but when I set up my ERBE with Bigger than 40 series Tires and 10/65 gearing there was no noticable cogging with the MMM and 2200

RC Champion
    Fastest rc car on the planet has a castle esc. The fastest revo 91.2 mph has a castle mmm esc. The fastest e-maxx 76mph (mine) has a castle mmm esc. So how do you figure? My other truck on 6s has so much torque it does standing still backflips @ 50% punch control and lands back on its tires.It does 35 mph wheelies on demand. How can you have/or use more torque than this.
    How fast was your E-Maxx on the Tekin system?

I hope you see my point...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 2IS
    How fast was your E-Maxx on the Tekin system?

I hope you see my point...
    I dont think it can handle my gearing. If someone sends me one I will post it up. I was just replying to what someone said about a tekin being faster than a castle. Talk is cheap prove it! Plenty of proof with the castles allready being the fastest.

RC Champion
    I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem testing it... What makes you think it can't handle your gearing?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 2IS
    I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem testing it... What makes you think it can't handle your gearing?
    I read some where they dont like being over geared. It might of been tekins website I dont know.

RC Champion
    I've raced my RX8 against a MMM. I use a C50 Hacker motor and the MMM uses a Neu motor(not castle version). Both are equal in topspeed, but the difference being that I run lower voltage! Both cars are geared for around 50mph.
    2 KILOWATT RACER

RC Champion
    I am curious about the crawling argument. If your truck is set up for rock crawling then what is it geared for "Speed wise" Beacuse if it is geared for say 15 MPH then why would sensored make a difference? I am not into crawling but when I set up my ERBE with Bigger than 40 series Tires and 10/65 gearing there was no noticable cogging with the MMM and 2200

I have done some crawling while geared for around 40mph with my nitro revo and I also did some with my brushed e-revo and I will do some with my tekin rx8 on my e-revo. It's not a true crawler by any means but it's fun enough. On a side note I was at some races yesterday and saw a rock crawler and it was awsome! Now a rock crawler may be mine soon
    Xerun 150A 2200kv ERBE
    Dewalt 14.4v Summit

RC Qualifier
    I read some where they dont like being over geared. It might of been tekins website I dont know.
    LOL You have read somewhere?? If you are going to down a product perhaps maybe you should try adding some facts, provide a link...just saying you read somewhere doesn't constitute fact...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by snellemin
    I've raced my RX8 against a MMM. I use a C50 Hacker motor and the MMM uses a Neu motor(not castle version). Both are equal in topspeed, but the difference being that I run lower voltage! Both cars are geared for around 50mph.
    What voltage were you running?

RC Qualifier
    I have run lower gearing than 10/65 and still experienced tons of cogging. I have found that not everyone has the same definition for crawling. For me, it's often one tire revolution per 20 seconds. At that speed, no gearing will ever get an MMM to stop cogging.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by snellemin
    Running lower voltage and different kv ratings has nothing to do w/ anything... if they are both at 50 they are both at 50. There is a ton of ways to get there, gearing in spurs, pinions, diffs, tires, motor kv, voltage.. LOL This doesn't speak anything about a system, just your choices.

PS I use to gear my trucks for 50 on 4s before I started racing, once you start racing you'll learn 38-40 gearing results in the best lap times, lowest temps and best run times reguardless of your ESC and Motor type. When I first started way back it was a modded MM esc, then when the MMM's came out I moved up to that. This year was great, but the prior year w/ the MMM (v1, v2 etc) was a little frustrating

RC Champion
    Running lower voltage and different kv ratings has nothing to do w/ anything... if they are both at 50 they are both at 50. There is a ton of ways to get there, gearing in spurs, pinions, diffs, tires, motor kv, voltage.. LOL This doesn't speak anything about a system, just your choices.

PS I use to gear my trucks for 50 on 4s before I started racing, once you start racing you'll learn 38-40 gearing results in the best lap times, lowest temps and best run times reguardless of your ESC and Motor type. When I first started way back it was a modded MM esc, then when the MMM's came out I moved up to that. This year was great, but the prior year w/ the MMM (v1, v2 etc) was a little frustrating

You forget about the consequences of overgearing at a lower voltage. Amp draw is higher and can just melt an ESC down from massive ripple current. Other 1/8 ESC just don't work with a higher kv motors.
    So that being said, my GTP currently is running on 4s2p A123, and geared for about 80mph under load. If the software and hardware of the ESC were to be mediocre, the ESC would just give up the ghost.
    On 6s1p A123, the load is high enough to raise my battery temps to 150F within a few minutes. RX8 handles the electric abuse with no issues. On-resistance of the RX8 is half of the MMM, which non racers don't pay attention too. I have another ESC for even more power and Efficiency for speedruns, and that sucker can take 10s.
    2 KILOWATT RACER

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by jjl5590
    What voltage were you running?
    I was running 6s1p A123 versus 4S lipo. Under load I'm under a lower voltage. 2 pole motor versus 4 pole motor.
    2 KILOWATT RACER

So what is wrong with the TEKIN RX8 ESC? I know it can easily handle that Castle Neu. It seems like people are putting down the Tekin RX8 b/c of the motor, but that has nothing to do with the ESC itself. You probably can run the Tekin RX8 with a HV Novak motor.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast