RC Racer

stripped 32p spur gear!!!!??

Just a little while ago while i was running my brushless slash rather slowly, i stripped my 32p spur gear. i didn't think it was possible because i had never heard of any one doing it, but first i stripped just one whole tooth and then the rest went shortly. could this have been because my pinion gear had also come loose and slid down the motor shaft so that there was very little contact between the gears? thanks for the help.
    When the road stikes back...

RC Qualifier
    Free all none violent drug offenders!

RC Racer
    This happened to me last week. Turned out the 2 motor screws were little loose. I had converted the flat head screw with the socked head type + washer and although they are easier to work with and stronger, but they don't hold the motor as good as the flat head. I guess Traxxas had chosen those types for a reason.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjy78bP222g

RC Champion
    I stripped 3 in one day. Gear mesh, pinion, rocks. It can still happen. Yeah they are stronger than 48p but still not bulletproof
    Slash VXL
    Summit VXL
    they have to share for now

RC Racer
    RByers is right...they are awesome but not bullet proof...i've only stripped 2 in my short time of being 32p...I recently shot my engine ouput gear off of it doing a big jump to flat...dumb idea but I had to try since my truck has never seen BAD abuse....it was fun but yes 32p will strip....it just doesnt strip as much. anything could have caused it.
    Slash VXL
    Epic Beads w/switches

RC Qualifier
    Did that today with my 48 pitch. First one to go in over a year.
    SLASH IS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC Competitor
    I havent stripped a 48 pitch spur in over 6 months ever since I started using losi pinions.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    Would really like to see a pic of all these 32p gears you guys are stripping.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Champion
    Stripping 32P..... Now you guys are bashin"........... I've made the switch on my trucks over a year ago and all of them still look brand new....
    My mother
    Reba Collins 6/30/52 - 3/1/10 1:13pm

RC Racer
    thanks for the info guys, i'm glad that i'm not the only one to have ever stripped a 32p gear.
    When the road stikes back...

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    got any pics? I find it hard to fathom.

RC Champion
    Almost stripped another one today. >:-/ Darn pinion came loose again. Time to start using locktite.
    Slash VXL
    Summit VXL
    they have to share for now

RC Racer
    wow guys, I converted to 32p for the durability reason. I have not stripped a 32p yet, & i went through 48p like there was no tomorrow! My motor shaft snapped (old CMS4600 motor) & my spur was still fine....
    Last edited by Dirt Demon; 11-13-2009 at 01:10 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by RByers8252
    Almost stripped another one today. >:-/ Darn pinion came loose again. Time to start using locktite.
    IMHO, using loctite wont make a difference, its the plastic mount thats the problem. when you screw it down tightly, the plastic gets soft which causes the slightest movement. Alloy gearbox will solve this problem once & for all....

Anyway, since you dont run with a gear cover anymore, always check the gear mesh after a run, including the motor screws....

RC Qualifier
    Somewhere between Nitropia and Electropia.
    Check your motor screws often, especially after you did some high jumps with hard landings or after you did some bashing at the skatepark....it tends to loosen the motor screws, slide the motor into unwanted positions, ruin your gear mesh setting and finally a stripped spur...another case is tight gear mesh also has possibility to strip your spur.
    Been There Done That....

I don't believe it. Proof?