Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maxx Tires?

RC Champion

Maxx Tires?

I know they wreak havoc on the rusty/pede/slash 2x4 driveline, but with slash 4x4 being mostly revo-inspired, do you think they will work on the MT styled slash 4x4's?

RC Qualifier
    I am going with 2.2's when I convert my Slash. May see how my 'pede tires look. Not into the 'over sized' tire look. I don't think it would hurt the drive train at all seeing as how it's made to take the 1/8 brushless systems.

I'm betting 2.2's will not fit. The C-blocks appear to big. It's gonna either be 2.8 , 30 series or move up to MT size.
    _
    _
    _ 3 lines are all that's allowed in a sig.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by asheck
    I'm betting 2.2's will not fit. The C-blocks appear to big. It's gonna either be 2.8 , 30 series or move up to MT size.
    i would think traxxas thought of that when designing it

RC Champion
    I think since it has revo diffs, 32P gears, and no transmission you should be fine.
    you may need the CVD's though

RC Qualifier
    Not the case. Jconcepts has a set of 2.2's made for the Slash.

RC Qualifier
    How's this for 2.2 fitting?
    http://www.jconcepts.net/store/index...roducts_id=349

They have 2.2's For the 2x4 Slash, it is the same as Stampede/Rustler,not the Slash 4x4. If you look at the c-blocks in the pictures of it , you will see that there is very little clearance between the block and the wheel on front. I have the same problem on my 2x4 Slash using Jato rear blocks. I think this is going to be the case with this also. Of course it's hard to say until it's in my hands, and I hope it will take 2.2's, as I have bunches, but if I had to guess from the pictures, I would say no.
    _
    _

RC Qualifier
    They have 2.2's For the 2x4 Slash, it is the same as Stampede/Rustler,not the Slash 4x4. If you look at the c-blocks in the pictures of it , you will see that there is very little clearance between the block and the wheel on front. I have the same problem on my 2x4 Slash using Jato rear blocks. I think this is going to be the case with this also. Of course it's hard to say until it's in my hands, and I hope it will take 2.2's, as I have bunches, but if I had to guess from the pictures, I would say no.
    That's not true. The Slash 4x4 shares the same off-set as the 2x4 rear Slash wheels. This is shown on this very site if you take the time to read all the stuff on the Slash 4x4. JConcepts makes a bead lock for the Slash 4x4 and they showed them off at the recent IHobby show. Also the new bodies will fit the 2x4 Slash and the old bodies will fit the 4x4 Slash. Never trust the pictures. lol
    http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...#/slideshow-06
    Last edited by Redman65; 11-15-2009 at 07:57 PM.

I do not think the offset is the problem, and I believe there will be lots of wheels available. But I do not think standard 2.2 Stampede wheels will work.
    _
    _

RC Qualifier
    Again, the rear Slash 2x4 wheels will work on the new Slash 4x4 and JConcepts has a set for the Slash 4x4 as well as sets for the Revo & Slash VXL. All you have to do is click on the link I posted above and click on #2 and read. The hex size on the Slash 4x4 is the same as the Slash 2x4 and the rear Slash 2x4 offset works on the Slash 4x4. As for the 'pede wheels, again it will come down to the offset. The 'pede VXL uses the same hex size which I think is 12. Also, if I want to use Proline bead locks, which I have on my 2x4 VXL powered Slash, all I have to do is order 2 rear sets. The Traxxas rep video from IHobby 2009 explains this. The offset IS the probelm that's why on this Traxxas site they explain the offset issue. Again click on the link above and click on #2 and read away.
    Last edited by Redman65; 11-15-2009 at 08:44 PM.

We are still talking about 2 different things. I am talking about standard 2.2 wheels, like would be on a Stampede . http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJK63&P=ML Compared to a Slash 4x4/ Slash 4x2 rear rim rim http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUWA7&P=7 See how the inside of the Slash wheel is bigger then the outside? Where the Stampede 2.2 is the same size all the way through. So I totally understand that a rear Stock style Slash wheel will fit. However that does not mean that the 2.2 will, even though the 2.2 will work on a Slash 2x4. IMO it does look like the standard 2.2 would work on the rear, but the front is where I could see it being a problem. After watching more vids, and seeing some other things, there is no way a Standard 2.2 rim is going to work on the front.
    _
    _

RC Enthusiast
    from the info that ive seen and heard was it stated that what would run on a 4x2 would work on a 4x4 (think it was from one of the i hobby vids)

RC Racer
    We are still talking about 2 different things. I am talking about standard 2.2 wheels, like would be on a Stampede . http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXJK63&P=ML Compared to a Slash 4x4/ Slash 4x2 rear rim rim http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUWA7&P=7 See how the inside of the Slash wheel is bigger then the outside? Where the Stampede 2.2 is the same size all the way through. So I totally understand that a rear Stock style Slash wheel will fit. However that does not mean that the 2.2 will, even though the 2.2 will work on a Slash 2x4. IMO it does look like the standard 2.2 would work on the rear, but the front is where I could see it being a problem. After watching more vids, and seeing some other things, there is no way a Standard 2.2 rim is going to work on the front.
    i understand what ur saying and was thinking the same thing. those front c-hubs look really beefy and tall. i was looking into 2.8 traxxas wheels with imex tires like these.

btw, stampede's use 2.8" wheels now.

RC Champion
    Asheck is right. The offset and hex size are not teh problem, but more the part that joins the a arm to the wheel, the carrier. It is bigger in diameter than the inside of a standard 2.2 wheel. That is why the wheels on it are 3.0 on inside, 2.2 on outside.

I think YOU are the one who needs to read more carefully
    HB Ve8 w/ tekin (AWESOME)
    E-Slayer w/MMM
    SC10

I believe those Imex 2.8's will only fit on the Imex rims. But I think they will work. I'm hoping my 30 series Badlands will fit, they should. I'm lucky to have about all sizes and offsets to try, so I'll do alot of experimenting.
    _
    _

RC Enthusiast
    I asked Traxxas support by email if standard 2.2" wheels would work on the Slash 4x4 and the reply was yes. He didn't say if certain offsets were required though.
    Stampede VXL

I asked Traxxas support by email if standard 2.2" wheels would work on the Slash 4x4 and the reply was yes
    Hey, smithy, your local
    Spend enough time around here and you'll find sometimes TRX support does not know everything, especially before the vehicle is released. But we can hope . Maybe a tech will step in here and speak up.
    _
    _

RC Champion
    to the OP:

i would get an upgaded slipper when running maxx tires or 6s lipo

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    How about an alternative? Proline producing a 6" od masher 2000 for the 30 series? I AM IN !!!!!!
    They may sell enough to do a run of these.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6
    How about an alternative? Proline producing a 6" od masher 2000 for the 30 series? I AM IN !!!!!!
    They may sell enough to do a run of these.
    a tire like that would be all over the place. can you say traction roll?

Heck, I'm in on just a 30 series Masher.The MT mashers are only 5.75, a 6" on a 30 series, well
    a tire like that would be all over the place.
    _
    _

RC Champion
    30 series badlands are 5x2.5
    M/T Badlands are 5.85x2.72

If 30 series do not give enough clearance the M/T's sound like the perfect solution. All that would be required is putting on some half offset 17mm wheels and buy some 17mm adapters.

This should have been my first post in this thread

To the guys who want to run MT tires : I understand the allure of big tires. But there is a reason this weighs 5 lbs and a E-revo weighs 10. It takes more substance to handle the bigger tires, and the power it takes to push them. Yes I believe this will handle a MMM combo on 6s, if you want to do street runs. But I don't think it will handle an extra 2lbs of tires, 2 lbs of electronics and a lb of batteries, to push it all, then bash like a E-revo, I just can't see it. MT tires have alot more mass then anything made for this size vehicle.
    4 Maxx Mashers weigh 29.2 oz's 4 Masher 2000's weigh 12.8 oz's.

If a cheap brushless MT is really what you want, there is no such thing. I would suggest the E-maxx, or the E-revo if you really want a MT sized basher.

Shelf queens will be fine with MT tires
    _
    _

RC Qualifier
    asheck you are wrong about Slash 2x4 wheels not fitting the Slash 4x4. Again, you have to use the REAR wheels from the Slash 2x4 to make it work. Here is a video with a TRAXXAS rep saying it. The 2.2 from JConcepts WILL work on the Slash 4x4. Sorry dude but I will except the word of the Traxxas and JConcept reps.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nwiC...ayer_embedded#

At no place in that vid does it say 2.2 wheels will work. It says it uses the same offset as rear stock 4x2 wheels. So the stock rear wheels will work, just like I stated earlier. But 2.2 wheels are not stock Slash 4x2 wheels. If you look at the links I posted earlier the differences are obvious.

Here is why I'm saying, what I'm saying.
    This is the rearend of my Slash, using Jato parts. The hubs and bearing carriers are much larger then a 4x2 Slash, similar to what is used on the Slash 4x4 .

Stock Slash 4x2 rear wheels will work on it, TRX Stampede 2.8 wheels will work on it, 30 series rims will work on it, but 2.2's will not fit, regardless of the offset. If you look at the vid, or the pictures available, you will see how close the similar parts are to the inside of the 4x4 wheels. If you then look at a 4x2 you will see that the rim has alot of clearance, being that it uses the same parts as the Stampede/ Rustler platform, which originated around 2.2 wheels.
    Last edited by asheck; 11-21-2009 at 11:14 AM.
    _
    _

RC Qualifier
    The rear wheels from JConcepts do work. They are made for the Slash. Again, all you need to do is look this stuff up. I will take the word of the reps from these companies before what is said by someone posting in here. Sorry to sound mean about this but you are wrong. Take a look at what JConcepts has to offer for the Slash. They are 2.2 wheels and again they are made for the Slash. Here is a link from Tower.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXYNR2&P=SM
    The video does explain to use the REAR wheels from the Slash and they will work. It is in the offset. The JConcept 2.2 wheels DO work on the Slash 4x4. They also make some sweet wheels for the VXL Revo/Slash.
    Last edited by Redman65; 11-21-2009 at 12:02 PM.

I have not seen anywhere, where a single rep says that 2.2 wheels will work. You are assumimg that since TRX says that Slash 4x2 rear wheels will work, that any wheel that will work on a Slash 4x2 will work. I have shown you that this is not the case, with my Slash.

Your link shows nothing, nor gives any info. It does not say for the 4x4 Slash.How can you possibly know that they will work? Are you TRX's top secret tester? I think not, because there are several other people on this thread who obviously understand what is being discussed here.

You keep bringing up offset, which is totally irrelevant, the problems stem from the diameter.

So if you have any links where there are pics showing a 2.2 wheel on a 4x4 slash please show them. If there is a TRX rep saying that he put 2.2 wheels on it, please have him join this conversation. But you have been saying the same thing over and over, and don't seem to grasp the concept of what is being said.

In this picture you can clearly see how close the rim is to the upper control link. Now any slash specific wheel should have this same offset, so tell me, do you see a 1/2 in of clearance for a 2.2 wheel to fit? Because I sure don't.
    _
    _

RC Qualifier
    There are plenty in here on the original Slash. As a matter of fact I have given you links to see these on a Slash. You are the one who said the "offset" isn't the issue and it is. Again if you want to say this link will NOT work on the Slash and YES the new Slash 4x4 be my guest. These WILL work on the Slash. Both versions.

Here is the wheel:
    http://jconceptsracing.net/wordpress...embled-800.jpg

Here are the 2.2 wheels and tires on the Slash:
    http://jconceptsracing.net/wordpress...uarter_800.jpg

And here is a link that ties it ALL together:
    http://jconceptsracing.net/wordpress/2009/10/

Yes the 2.2 JConcept wheels DO work for and are made for the Slash,.

Another pic:
    http://jconceptsracing.net/wordpress...p-View-800.jpg

A pic of the 2.2 tires for the 2.2 wheels:
    http://jconceptsracing.net/wordpress...0/3015-800.jpg
    Last edited by Redman65; 11-21-2009 at 04:49 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    i see what your saying now think i came up with a good way to show what your talking about

I know that these are not slash tires per say but will give the image anyway

what asheck is say is that the 4x4 carrier is large and may not fit into the available space provided by the 2.2 where as the 2.8 has move room. with these 2 wheels the opening space is a diameter of 1 7/8 inch for the 2.2 and 2 43/8 or so for the 2.8 wheel now the carrier on the 4x4 is say going to be 2 inches tall will the 2.2 still fit?

Yes He's ^ got it

Maybe this will help. Pull up the 4x4 part listing on Tower . http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...H+4x4+WHEELS++ Note that the tires and wheels they have listed for the 4x4 only include tires and wheels with a 3.0 inner bead. Now go to buytraxxas.com and note that every tire and wheel they have listed for the 4x4 has the same 3.0 inner bead.

Now go pull up the listings on the 4x2 . The 3.0 inners are still listed, the same as the slash 4x4 , but there is also additional 2.2 inner and outer beads wheels listed for the 4x2.

They do not list every rear wheel for the Slash 4x2 as working on the 4x4 , only the wheels with the 3.0 inner bead.
    So these would work http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXUM5&P=7
    But these no http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWBD6&P=7
    _
    _

RC Racer
    i'm gonna have to agree with redman after seeing this pic....

http://jconceptsracing.net/wordpress...Inside-800.jpg

the tense wheels will probably fit because of how offset they are. the hex on the 4x4 should stick out enough so that the inside of the rim won't have to clear the c-hub.

see how laterally far away the hex is from hub?
    http://www.ultimaterc.com/i/traxxas-...spension01.jpg

HOWEVER.....
    i don't think standard 2.2's will work unless they're offset like the jconcept wheels, because they don't have the diameter to clear the hubs. you guys were kinda both right. diameter-wise, they probably won't work, but with a large enough offset, they might not have to.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by bheleu
    from the info that ive seen and heard was it stated that what would run on a 4x2 would work on a 4x4 (think it was from one of the i hobby vids)
    You would be right. Any wheel and tire that fits the 4x2 Slash will work on the 4x4 Slash. Same goes for bodies. Which I think is great. I will get one of the new style bodies formy 4x2 Slash.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by LunchboX3904
    i'm gonna have to agree with redman after seeing this pic....

http://jconceptsracing.net/wordpress...Inside-800.jpg

the tense wheels will probably fit because of how offset they are. the hex on the 4x4 should stick out enough so that the inside of the rim won't have to clear the c-hub.

see how laterally far away the hex is from hub?
    http://www.ultimaterc.com/i/traxxas-...spension01.jpg

HOWEVER.....
    i don't think standard 2.2's will work unless they're offset like the jconcept wheels, because they don't have the diameter to clear the hubs. you guys were kinda both right. diameter-wise, they probably won't work, but with a large enough offset, they might not have to.
    The JConcept 2.2 wheels will fit the Slash 4x4. They are set up for the 12mm hex the original Slash uses which is the same on the Slash 4x4. That's what they made them for the Slash. lol People have already been using them on their Slash 4x2. I love the look as well. I never thought I'd get my Slash 4x4 and change it from a SC truck but I am. And from the look of the pics with the 2.2 wheels under that JConcepts body I'd guess 2.8 wheel/tire setups would work as well.

My Revo VXL will be happy around Christmas as well.
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXYAJ3&P=SM
    Last edited by Redman65; 11-21-2009 at 08:54 PM.

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=asheck]At no place in that vid does it say 2.2 wheels will work. It says it uses the same offset as rear stock 4x2 wheels. So the stock rear wheels will work, just like I stated earlier. But 2.2 wheels are not stock Slash 4x2 wheels. If you look at the links I posted earlier the differences are obvious.

The video says all Slash hop-up wheels and tires will work on the Slash 4x4 as well as stock Slash wheels and tires. So YES the JConcept 2.2 wheels & tires will work on the Slash 4x4. And they look fantastic I might add.

diameter-wise, they probably won't work, but with a large enough offset, they might not have to.
    Perhaps. The problem will come when turning. Since the c block does not move as you turn, anything but a 0 offset wheel has to be bigger then the c hubs. Where a vehicle like the E-revo it's blocks are the carriers, and turn with the wheel. So with them the limit comes when you hit your A-arms.
    Any wheel and tire that fits the 4x2 Slash will work on the 4x4 Slash.
    Redman, I am willing to bet my VXL system from the Slash, that you are wrong. Seems most here agree.
    what asheck is say is that the 4x4 carrier is large and may not fit into the available space provided by the 2.2 where as the 2.8 has move room. with these 2 wheels the opening space is a diameter of 1 7/8 inch for the 2.2 and 2 43/8 or so for the 2.8 wheel now the carrier on the 4x4 is say going to be 2 inches tall will the 2.2 still fit?
    i don't think standard 2.2's will work unless they're offset like the jconcept wheels, because they don't have the diameter to clear the hubs.
    Asheck is right. The offset and hex size are not teh problem, but more the part that joins the a arm to the wheel, the carrier. It is bigger in diameter than the inside of a standard 2.2 wheel. That is why the wheels on it are 3.0 on inside, 2.2 on outside.
    So let's take this 1 question at a time. Could you please explain to me why TRX, nor Tower lists their 2.2 wheels as fitting the 4x4, when they list all their 3.0 ID wheels as fitting on the 4x4?
    _
    _

RC Qualifier
    this is the differance
    E-maxx 3905
    outlaw RPM VXL Slash
    summit

RC Qualifier
    Because the Traxxas folks state that stock Slash tires as well as Slash hop-up wheels will work on the new Slash 4x4. And these are being used on Slash 4x2 as we speak. Again, I am talking about the JConcept 2.2 beadlock wheels. As for the middle quote you used agrees concerning the JConcept wheels. As for why Tower does not list them my guess would be these products are so new would be the reason.

RC Qualifier
    Again, these are a new product but they are made for the Slash and as stated by Traxxas from the IHobby 2009 show concerning the new Slash 4x4 can use stock and hop-up wheels and tires from the 4x2 Slash. Bodies as well.

As for why Tower does not list them my guess would be these products are so new would be the reason.
    But why does TRX not list them? They make a 2.2 wheel for the rear of the Slash, yet it is not listed as fitting the 4x4.
    Again, I am talking about the JConcept 2.2 beadlock wheels.
    But this is not what you have said over and over.
    The video says all Slash hop-up wheels and tires will work on the Slash 4x4 as well as stock Slash wheels and tires.
    Any wheel and tire that fits the 4x2 Slash will work on the 4x4 Slash.
    I am going with 2.2's when I convert my Slash. May see how my 'pede tires look. Not into the 'over sized' tire look.
    So now if you want to change your statement to ,you think only the J concepts 2.2's will work, then I will say, perhaps. But I for one have not changed my opinion from the very beginning.
    I do not think the offset is the problem, and I believe there will be lots of wheels available. But I do not think standard 2.2 Stampede wheels will work.
    Why do you keep posting this link? It says nothing except the price. No pic, no specs, no Slash 4x4, no relevancy to anything.
    Last edited by asheck; 11-21-2009 at 11:31 PM.
    _
    _

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast