RC poster

Supercharger. Good or Bad

Been looking at some performance parts and came across a supercharger and also NOS kit would this be any good or would it do more damage than good, anyone running either of these, let me know?

RC Champion
    I have seen countless numbers of these threads, and I'm sure someone will chime in with some technical mumbo jumbo, but I will give my average cave man opinion.

They are a waste IMO. Again, I don't have any technical googles searched info for you, but superchargers work so well on 1:1 car engines due to the combustion process and the fact that there is a computer metering the air coming in and it will tell the injectors to pump more fuel to compensate the extra forced air.

Our 2 stroke engines don't have this and forced induction is more suited for 4 stroke engines. I suppose you can run rich and it will help some, but in the end I don't think it is worth the money

If you want more power, choose the right engine setup, switch to 30% fuel, and choose the right pipe. If you are looking for a little bling bling then yeah I think that would be the way I would go
    Don't mess with the Cyber Bully

RC poster
    Yeah im already running 30% and it runs well, besides the fact the jato goes so quick already and adding to it might sound mad but more power never hurt anyone.

Don't do it. They will lean out your engine and contribute to premature engine failure. Just try a search among the forums.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC poster
    Ok Cool.

what about the NOS kits any good?

Same deal. These engines are not designed for that kind of thing and vise-versa.

-Brett
    4wd Sportmaxx 3.3
    E-Revo - Mamba Monster - Neu 4s

RC Qualifier
    NOS kit thats a first for me. You have a link for this product because I never seen or heard of a NOS kit for RC nitro engines.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I've seen in RC magazines that nos works, but these engines are not designed for that application. take that money, and just put it toward a new engine.

they might work for a short period, in some cases. in the end, it'll cost you more in the end. stick with your engine, or look into something 'faster'
    |N|i|t|r|o|m|e|t|h|a|n|e| - My anti-drug

RC Competitor
    the nos for the nitro motor actually will work, it just will pump out more power, but not like a supercharger, that is a bad idea, it will blow the motor big time, superchargers are just to much for these little motors.
    your not having fun if your car isn't dirty

RC Champion
    Won't the NOS just back alot more oxygen into the chamber and just lean it out? From what I understand nitrous is NO2 and the nitrogen is just a carrier for the oxygen so...lean the engine out.
    R/C is expensive...

RC poster

giggle juice

remember your fuel system is pressurized by the exhaust the nitrous will increase this pressure and in turn add more fuel to the setup. If you need nitrous help call nx in wichita falls tx.

RC poster
    Here's a link for a company called R B Innovations they do the supercharges and NOS kits

http://www.rbinnovations.com/product_p/ns5000-x.htm

RC Qualifier
    wow looks really cool, but wow really expensive i spent less than that on my whole car lol
    Rustler VXL SPC Power
    4-tec 5700K MM SPC Power

RC Qualifier
    When will you have time to use the NOS an RC nitro can get out of eye sight pretty quick
    Speed is the rate of change of distance with time.

RC poster
    Well i have one massive field outside my front door so plenty of room. in the new year i will buy that NOS kit and then post some vids of it in action and if i blow the engine then i will just have to buy another one

RC Qualifier
    DONT get the supercharger. i spent 4 weeks it WILL not work. your stock traxxas 3.3 is fine as is. spend your time learning tuning, you will get a better out come.

RC Champion
    And I found out that NO2 systems do work...
    R/C is expensive...

RC Enthusiast
    If you simply want more performance, you can always run a higher percentage of nitro fuel. Just ensure theres enough oil in your fuel mixture to reduce friction in the engine.
    Too many RC vehicles / Spektrum DX3R

RC poster
    Dont think i need to spend any time learing how to tune, i have many cars and rc planes to and i tune all of them really well, maybe we should have a drag race and see who can tune best

RC Racer
    ah yes, he should have known that you have multiple other nitro vehicles. what stupid, ignorant person moe7404 must be. get a grip kid, he was trying to help you. go buy all the parts everyone tells you dont work and prove us wrong!

RC poster
    Well first of all im not a kid and unlike you i can afford to buy loads of stuff and break loads of stuff and just replace things and by the way you dont even know so dont tell me to get a grip unless its round your neck. hey if you want some money to buy a lego kit all you have to do is ask im very generous
    Last edited by matthew_herbe; 11-27-2009 at 10:20 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The supercharger cannot work, what ever sytem it use, you cannot use force induction on a nitro 2 stroke motor, the exhaust port is open in same time as the intake for a short period of time, so you cannot build more pressure in the crankcase...

The NOS will work, but you will have erratic tuning, you will need to be careful. but if you want to test it its up to you.

I would try to learn modding if you can afford buying lots of engines, you can really enjoy every gain you get. Id run higher nitro % content instead of the NOS kit, added with the right mod it will be fast and more reliable...

World fastest E-revo 91.2mph / Revo 75mph
    ABmods

RC Racer
    ya im very poor. i know a good bit about nitro engines, and i could understand fully why a supercharger wont work on these little engines. one of the biggest things being that there is no way to control the fuel flow good enough, let alone get enough to flow through the carb. if you want send me some money pm me and ill give you my paypal addy and you can send me $40-$50 which i will buy more parts for my jato! but i call bluff.

RC Racer
    dang, i still never received my money!! bluff kid

RC Champion
    lol that stuff looks cool if i was building just a all show no go rig i would put that stuff on there.
    3.3 t-maxx, O.S. .18TM t-maxx, HV brushless e-maxx

RC poster
    I don't know that much about diesels, but back in the 60's and 70's they did use superchargers on two stroke diesels. Even more insane was they put a turbo charger in front of the supercharge. Gave them the extra bang they needed back then to move 60 thousand pounds.

RC poster
    Never mind, I guess two stroke diesels have exhaust valves.

RC Racer
    they currently use turbos on 2 stroke snowmobiles with gret success, but they are mostly all fuel injected.

RC Racer
    i drag race jato's got both notrious and supercharger kits,trust me its a waste of ur time cause it will never stay tuned like you want it.if you want to go fast the cheap way, get a os 18tz motor and a ths exhaust system and also run 40% fuel in your truck.you will be the fastest on your block. i got pics of my jatos if you want to see them.

RC Champion
    What distance/times are you running your jato in? Also don't get a fatty engine get a lean mean rpm machine like a 12~!
    R/C is expensive...

RC Racer
    i run 132,150 feet in the mid 70,75mph range with a 18tz running on 50% bryons fuel

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Co2_Scientist
    I don't know that much about diesels, but back in the 60's and 70's they did use superchargers on two stroke diesels. Even more insane was they put a turbo charger in front of the supercharge. Gave them the extra bang they needed back then to move 60 thousand pounds.
    Never mind, I guess two stroke diesels have exhaust valves.
    Ah Yes the good old screaming Detroit diesel hear em coming from miles away they where also fuel injected.
    Last edited by TRX-Traxxas-Man; 12-06-2009 at 04:03 AM.
    2- 2.5Tmaxx Jato2.5R Vintage: Bullet, Hawk, N-Hawk

RC Competitor
    If you have a 3.3 what the heck do you need a supercharger for??
    Dumped $ into the SVTF...
    Coming back into R/C

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by pellis
    If you have a 3.3 what the heck do you need a supercharger for??
    Agreed, the only thing the supercharger will let you do is go faster in a straight line, through turns it will have to much power to hold without slipping and fishtailing.

RC Qualifier
    what i was trying to say is that the co that makes the one supercharger i know about makes one that doesnt work. someone might be able to make one that does work. but the one i tryed was porely made badly designed, didnt fit the application. most of the good guys on an other forum told me i wouldnt work. so after i spent 4 weeks i found out it wouldnt work, i had to post a "YOU TOLD ME SO" post. i think i like traxxas car/trucks better when they are stock.

RC poster
    can anyone tell how to install the drive cups on cvd's. I forgot how to