Thread: Pull start

RC Qualifier

Pull start

so im jus about to order the pullstart, can anyonre persuade me not to. maybe some bad things about it or if anyone has one, would u recommmend?

RC Qualifier
    get the pull start and a dynomite glow ignighter the one with the replaceible battery
    Confused rcer

RC Champion
    I alwayse liked my pullstart that I had on my 2.5...it was only frustrating when it was really cold and my car was hard to get started.

Other than that I would say go for a pullstart.
    R/C is expensive...

RC Qualifier
    I have a pull start and I didn't like it at all when I first got it. I paired it with a new engine which made it hard to pull and get stuck sometimes. After I broke the engine in it was like clockwork with the pull start. I like it very much due to using your own power instead of a battery operated starter. You get it primed right and you are good to go with a few pulls.
    Speed is the rate of change of distance with time.

RC Qualifier
    to fix the cold problem heat your engine up with a hair dryer or a heat gun.. be careful not to melt fuel line tho
    Confused rcer

RC Qualifier
    do i need a ingitnor for the pull start too? any good names if so. and wat other than the ignitor and pullstart do i need?

RC Qualifier
    is this wat i need?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/OFNA-10219-RED-G...item3efa72e162
    i need an aswer quick, a auction is about to end.
    thx

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by toothpick
    is this wat i need?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/OFNA-10219-RED-G...item3efa72e162
    i need an aswer quick, a auction is about to end.
    thx

Thats the same one I got except its the one for an C -size battery. Its works good
    Last edited by Jclay; 11-27-2009 at 12:17 AM.
    Speed is the rate of change of distance with time.

RC Qualifier
    itll work with my pullstart i linked to and the 3.3?
    and thats all i need?? just the pull start and ignitor?? please respond quick, im gunna buy tonite

RC Qualifier

RC Enthusiast
    Yes, all you need is a pull start and any glow ignitor. The glow ignitors that use AA batteries work well and you can find them on ebay for about $9.99 shipped. The AA ones are better in my opinion because you can get a bulk pack of AA batteries for less than the D's. Plus, they weigh less with AA batteries. With the glow igniter you'll finally be able to ditch that blue wire that connects to your glow plug.

I like the Hot Shot 2 glow igniter, it's rechargable so you won't have to keep buying batteries. But, it takes about 10 hours to recharge and also costs about 2-3x more than the above mentioned ignitors.

EDIT: Woops, I rang in about 10 seconds after your post.
    Too many RC vehicles / Spektrum DX3R

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Skatin
    Yes, all you need is a pull start and any glow ignitor. The glow ignitors that use AA batteries work well and you can find them on ebay for about $9.99 shipped. The AA ones are better in my opinion because you can get a bulk pack of AA batteries for less than the D's. Plus, they weigh less with AA batteries. With the glow igniter you'll finally be able to ditch that blue wire that connects to your glow plug.

I like the Hot Shot 2 glow igniter, it's rechargable so you won't have to keep buying batteries. But, it takes about 10 hours to recharge and also costs about 2-3x more than the above mentioned ignitors.

EDIT: Woops, I rang in about 10 seconds after your post.
    lol well its too late now, the reason i got the d cell was cause it was all one seller and saved on shipping.

RC Enthusiast
    Any glow ignitor will be just fine, they all do the same thing. You'll definately be happy with your purchase and now you won't have to lug that big ol' ez-start box around with you!

RC Qualifier
    Any glow ignitor will be just fine, they all do the same thing. You'll definately be happy with your purchase and now you won't have to lug that big ol' ez-start box around with you!
    my only consern is the priming of the engine and not bein able to start it.

RC Enthusiast
    The easiest way to prime with a pull start is to hold your finger over the exhaust stinger and then give the pull start a few short tugs until you see the fuel entering the carb. Then you can remove your finger from the exhaust, attach the glow ignitor, and with a few more pulls on the starter you'll be running.

One thing I should mention about pull starts, you only need to pull them a few inches; not like your starting a lawn mower. You should only be moving your wrist and not pulling with your whole arm. Otherwise you'll be buying a new pull start every week!

RC Qualifier
    The easiest way to prime with a pull start is to hold your finger over the exhaust stinger and then give the pull start a few short tugs until you see the fuel entering the carb. Then you can remove your finger from the exhaust, attach the glow ignitor, and with a few more pulls on the starter you'll be running.

One thing I should mention about pull starts, you only need to pull them a few inches; not like your starting a lawn mower. You should only be moving your wrist and not pulling with your whole arm. Otherwise you'll be buying a new pull start every week!
    yea but i heard that the finger over stinger doesnt work? i gota blow in the backpressure line, at least thats wat ive been told.... and i know not to pull it tooo far.
    thanks for ur hellp

RC Enthusiast
    I use the finger over the stinger method daily and it works great for me. Not to mention I never get a mouthful of poisonous fuel.

Do a search on ebay for a primer pump, you can also find fuel filters with primer pumps attached (I think integy makes them).

RC Qualifier
    the backpressure line trick works great and its hard on engines just cranking them.
    Confused rcer

RC Enthusiast
    I use a primer bulb on the fuel line, works good for me with the pull start!

RC Competitor
    here is a good fuel pump/filter combo

RC Car Aluminum 1/8 Fuel Filter w/ Rubber Pump
    Why drink Booze when you can have Boos?

RC Champion
    I do not recomend a fuel pump. They are just another weak point in your fuel line and they will probably leak and cause lean conditions.
    R/C is expensive...

RC Enthusiast

I like pullstarts.

I use them over the ez start.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RC_K1d
    I do not recomend a fuel pump. They are just another weak point in your fuel line and they will probably leak and cause lean conditions.
    yea i think i just do it the old fashion way, or untill i start hating blowing in the line.

RC Qualifier
    ok ok here is it all together. Pull start, glow ignitor, and new ft shocks springs. man was that shipping quick! i highly recomend hopmeup from ebay!

RC Qualifier
    NICE CAR! dont leave the glow ingighter on there for too long because it will mess the plug up big time
    Confused rcer

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by moneyman097
    NICE CAR! dont leave the glow ingighter on there for too long because it will mess the plug up big time
    yep, jus for the runway!!
    ill tell yea gettin those 3 screws off that held the ez start to the end of the crankcase was like pulling teeth, i think a lil too much threadlock!
    Last edited by toothpick; 12-01-2009 at 06:51 PM.